Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
All the pre-Twoism EPs are so bad that they can't release them. They were either primitive-sounding as a band in that time, or the masters sound so awful as to not be worth remastering. Only the few Old Tunes were the ones that sounded any good, and we only heard that stuff because it leaked.

Sherbet Head
Down10 wrote:All the pre-Twoism EPs are so bad that they can't release them. They were either primitive-sounding as a band in that time, or the masters sound so awful as to not be worth remastering. Only the few Old Tunes were the ones that sounded any good, and we only heard that stuff because it leaked.

But why are the family/friend exclusives ... just crappy stuff. That'd be mean.

I'd give my friends and family the very best!!

Controversial indeed :mrgreen:
Suck my BUTT

Eagle Minded
Down10 wrote:All the pre-Twoism EPs are so bad that they can't release them. They were either primitive-sounding as a band in that time, or the masters sound so awful as to not be worth remastering. Only the few Old Tunes were the ones that sounded any good, and we only heard that stuff because it leaked.

Definitely controversial. Audio quality aside, their pre Twoism era has some of their greatest works and if it wasn't for those excellent pieces they wouldn't be where they are now. Good compositions are still good compositions, even if the quality is a tad bit shoddy.
you don't care to hear until you listen

Friendly Stranger
A is to B as B is to C is really good.

Dayvan Cowboy
Headphase is a great conceptual album about a summer camping trip on acid with several weeks compressed into a record. When fall comes (the last three tracks) and the acid starts wearing off, the camper realizes the world is dying (autumn or a nuclear bomb was dropped) and he laments about the world in a beautiful way. The final track is the last night where everything slowly fades away into the new clear dawn and the camper reaps tomorrow's harvest.

No idea if I'm close to the concept but this is always what happens in my head. Though the several weeks compressed into an acid trip is their words not mine.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Headphase is a great conceptual album about a summer camping trip on acid with several weeks compressed into a record. When fall comes (the last three tracks) and the acid starts wearing off, the camper realizes the world is dying (autumn or a nuclear bomb was dropped) and he laments about the world in a beautiful way. The final track is the last night where everything slowly fades away into the new clear dawn and the camper reaps tomorrow's harvest.

No idea if I'm close to the concept but this is always what happens in my head. Though the several weeks compressed into an acid trip is their words not mine.

That's sweet. It is very different for me and my personal interpretation, but that is nevertheless an interesting take on it all and quite a complex one. Particularly the way you feel it is fluid between the end of Campfire and the start of TH as if they are chapters from the same story; really interesting.

I always imagined the final track of Campfire being something personal to Mike and Marcus despite the rest of the album being primarily a themed project. In the case of Farewell Fire, you can just hear it - they lost someone. I might be wrong on that hunch, though.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:
Echelon wrote:Headphase is a great conceptual album about a summer camping trip on acid with several weeks compressed into a record. When fall comes (the last three tracks) and the acid starts wearing off, the camper realizes the world is dying (autumn or a nuclear bomb was dropped) and he laments about the world in a beautiful way. The final track is the last night where everything slowly fades away into the new clear dawn and the camper reaps tomorrow's harvest.

That's sweet. It is very different for me and my personal interpretation, but that is nevertheless an interesting take on it all and quite a complex one. Particularly the way you feel it is fluid between the end of Campfire and the start of TH as if they are chapters from the same story; really interesting.

I always imagined the final track of Campfire being something personal to Mike and Marcus despite the rest of the album being primarily a themed project. In the case of Farewell Fire, you can just hear it - they lost someone. I might be wrong on that hunch, though.

Hey thanks! The end of Campfire is so different from the rest of the album. Slow This Bird Down is like the chilly air on a September morning but it feels mournful too. The following two tracks share that feeling but I associate those with a final campfire.

How do you take TCH then? :D I think the beauty of this music is the huge variety of images it grants everyone.

Eagle Minded
mkez wrote:A is to B as B is to C is really good.

Cannot tell if this is Haha Controversial or Stonefaced Controversial 'cause A is to B as B is to C is an absolutely essential BoC track, in my opinion.

I've recently been getting way back into Tomorrow's Harvest (more than I ever did in the past [seven years late]) and I feel like Gemini is a more-similar track to A is to B than I initially would've recognized ... it moves through these distinct phases of subconscious-feeling discomfort and disconnect.
"Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough." - Richard P. Feynman

Posts Quantity
The boys are officially retired.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Happy Cycler
The boys are gluten intolerant.

Dayvan Cowboy
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:The boys are officially retired.

I still think Tomorrow's Harvest was their final album. Regardless of my thoughts about the quality of it, it completes the cycle. Four seasons, four different ages, Seeds of the Dead is a fade to black where there's absolute nothingness.

If we're getting anything else from them, I think it's archival. The remixes were more favors I feel than actual artistic statements even though I like to pretend they actually are artistic statements.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:The boys are officially retired.

I still think Tomorrow's Harvest was their final album. Regardless of my thoughts about the quality of it, it completes the cycle. Four seasons, four different ages, Seeds of the Dead is a fade to black where there's absolute nothingness.

If we're getting anything else from them, I think it's archival. The remixes were more favors I feel than actual artistic statements even though I like to pretend they actually are artistic statements.

I agree on some, but no, because:

1) They would say that in an interview. What they were saying, is actually. That they in fact not stopping making music. That means new release incoming(?)
2) Tho, the TH have that end (re-cycle) feeling. For me personally The Campfire Headphase sound more like a retirment album, than TH. TH is more like a new direction.

But with the situation in the world right now. Music industry probably would have more trouble to distribute the new release with the people now. Unless ofcourse it will be mostly digital sales (?)

Sherbet Head
The next album will be very hopeful and uplifting, you'll see. TH is pretty bleak conceptually but everything will change and turn around, as always.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Friendly Stranger
I think their music is masterful however I think they spend too much time distorting the music. I find their In a Beautiful Place EP has the best balance between deliberate distortion and musicality.

Eagle Minded
lichtenberg94 wrote:I think their music is masterful however I think they spend too much time distorting the music. I find their In a Beautiful Place EP has the best balance between deliberate distortion and musicality.

I am actually glad they do that... too many “clean” and polished sounding electronic bands/artists out there.... give me as much tape distortion as the brothers feel the need....the more underground and raw the better imo... :p

Posts Quantity
While Boards of Canada makes very fucking killer memories that definitely have the warmth and nostalgia, I think I've always loved Plaid's melodies a liiiitle bit more, but both are very unique in their own ways.
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Posts Quantity
mechanismj wrote:
Mexicola wrote:
preflehx wrote:rue the whirl is boring.

It's not my favourite, that's for sure.

I still love it, even if it is a bit repetitive.

I hate the way the beat in Korona drowns out the other elements of the song. Y'all feel me?

aw man korona and rue the whirl are some of my favorites :(
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Sherbet Head
PresidentSquidward wrote:While Boards of Canada makes very fucking killer memories that definitely have the warmth and nostalgia, I think I've always loved Plaid's melodies a liiiitle bit more, but both are very unique in their own ways.

for some reason, Plaids music always invokes some kind of future-nostalgia for me, if that makes any sense.

Sherbet Head
lichtenberg94 wrote:I think their music is masterful however I think they spend too much time distorting the music. I find their In a Beautiful Place EP has the best balance between deliberate distortion and musicality.

If they didn't do that we'd get some weak Tycho sounding shite. This is why people like BoC the way they do, they do things that others can't, don't have the vision for or at least can't be bothered with the long processes. I'd wait 10 years for a BoC album over getting a Tycho album every month for 10 years.
You could feel the bullshit

Friendly Stranger
I think Red Moss and Whitewater could have potentially wound up on Hi Scores, considering that more than half of the tracks were featured on Boc Maxima, and that BM was the demo being shipped around to record labels.

Now for the controversial part. Assuming the above is correct, and assuming the reason for those tracks not being included was a limit on how long the release could be, I think the Skam EP would've been a more outstanding a release had Red Moss and Whitewater replaced Hi Scores and Seeya Later. We will never truly know why RM & WW never got a proper release, maybe they simply didn't like them as much as what we got.

Grass is always greener on the other side.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada