GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Another BS fake?
phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
To speak to Ech's quote above - it's no wonder they don't talk about their politics outwardly that much (I mean, they don't talk about ANYTHING that much, hahaha) - that type of belief system tends to get lumped in with any number of "political sides" and it's whole message gets twisted and turned beyond belief - depending on the lens it's looked through.

Definitely helps understand their reclusive nature and makes sense.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Boqurant
ryetronics wrote:Another BS fake?
phpBB [media]

Pretty likely, given that it's from the same channel who gave us the "Never Gonna Give You Up" remix. However, that's some pretty good handiwork putting a face on the woman from the MHTRTC cover.

Eagle Minded
ryetronics wrote:Another BS fake?
phpBB [media]

This must be your Music Has The RIght Fake, Geogandhi?

Sherbet Head
haha, yeah, give me a chance to do a thread will ya Rye, you bellend ;)
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey Geo, if you're going to do a fake, make it the acoustic MHTRTC album, will ya? I want to hear it in some form or another.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:haha, yeah, give me a chance to do a thread will ya Rye, you bellend ;)

Haha, whoops! That's what happens when I subscribe to that channel!

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:
arvy wrote:Biden>Trump
next boc confirmed

This crossed my mind.

Do you have an interest in environmental issues? And if so, would you ever consider taking an explicit position over such issues, e.g. releasing a protest song or making any strong statement on your website, or do you prefer staying away from the whole matter?

Marcus – Actually we hold fairly radical views about environmental and political issues. We just avoid being public about it within the context of the band. I think the moment a musician shows that they care, the moment they try to make a difference by using their success to communicate alternative political or environmental ideas to their audience, the mainstream press assassinate the band. I've seen it happen so many times, that I've learned I have to choose to either make music, or become an activist. The media doesn't really allow artists to do both.

WOOOAHHHH - I'd never read that quote.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:
Echelon wrote:
arvy wrote:Biden>Trump
next boc confirmed

This crossed my mind.

Do you have an interest in environmental issues? And if so, would you ever consider taking an explicit position over such issues, e.g. releasing a protest song or making any strong statement on your website, or do you prefer staying away from the whole matter?

Marcus – Actually we hold fairly radical views about environmental and political issues. We just avoid being public about it within the context of the band. I think the moment a musician shows that they care, the moment they try to make a difference by using their success to communicate alternative political or environmental ideas to their audience, the mainstream press assassinate the band. I've seen it happen so many times, that I've learned I have to choose to either make music, or become an activist. The media doesn't really allow artists to do both.

WOOOAHHHH - I'd never read that quote.

I don't know why, but I feel Marcus is referring to Bono and U2 with this quote. It's who instantly jumps to my mind. :lol:
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
[/quote]

I don't know why, but I feel Marcus is referring to Bono and U2 with this quote. It's who instantly jumps to my mind. :lol:[/quote]

Hahahha, I've just had to watch the Alan Partridge clip where he convinces his girlfriend that he's friends with Bono and she gets to meet him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew4wrtl01PA

I've never really bothered about it when artists express their political ideology. Thom Yorke does it and I still love Radiohead because their music is always cool. I've not enjoyed U2 since Actung Baby and just believe that Bono is a greedy bastard. Problems cannot be solved by throwing money at them and carrying on as 'normal'. I've never been concerned about voicing my own thoughts and beliefs and it's got me in some SERIOUS trouble within my life but I regret none of it. I feel like I suffer from some form of tourrette's syndrome If I don't speak up. There are even some artists that 'm not a fan of, but like their thinking. What boards of canada have done 'IMO' is expresses a very clear political message using their music alone, and the message is this.

https://youtu.be/57Z2SxEuuQ0

Dayvan Cowboy
Sl Flk wrote:I've never really bothered about it when artists express their political ideology. Thom Yorke does it and I still love Radiohead because their music is always cool

Hail to the Thief is one of my favorite Radiohead albums, (and an underrated one at that) and that paints the Bush presidency as this highly depressive dystopian universe. The music is just really cool, so I feel regardless of where you stand on that issue, the great melodic ideas transcend the ideology. Bruce Spingsteen on the other hand, sounds like Meatloaf and bad show-tunes and U2, just sound incredibly stale as they rehash their old glories with new political statements. I feel the lame music makes their ideology sound cringy regardless of what it is.

Honestly, I feel that times are getting so weird that BOC won't be able to resist coming out and making some statement to humanity with their music. Much like Geogaddi with 9/11 and TH for the decline of western civilization, I just get that vibe nowadays. It might even be a positive statement, sort of a unifying vibe. It's what we need more than ever.

Eagle Minded
The Radio Dept. and The Knife are two successful bands (ok not 'mainstream' successful) that manage to be political and great music too.
---
Fuck transphobes

Dayvan Cowboy
Radiobuzz wrote:The Radio Dept. and The Knife are two successful bands (ok not 'mainstream' successful) that manage to be political and great music too.

Yeah. I mean, look at Rage Against the Machine, or the Coup, or Public Enemy. There are a ton of blatantly political musicians who are successful, even those with fairly radical views.

I strongly disagree with BoC's position on mixing politics and music, but I'm guessing for them it boils down to the fact that it doesn't really serve their artistic interests (psychological manipulation through music).

Also, more than likely, they have some fringe political views that they think would prove unpopular... Judging by some of their TH era book recommendations, we might be talking Ted Kaczynski level views, haha.

Eagle Minded
I think artists CAN be successful, but is it necessary? How many actors or artists do we need telling us how to think? To me, art transcends political persuasions. Art should unify, not divide..... and that's exactly what BoC has done.

Sherbet Head
They might be David Icke levels, all lizards and shit so it's probably best to keep schtum in order to still sell records.
I would still love their music but if they turned out to be flat earthers, it'd kinda taint it a bit.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Hey Geo, if you're going to do a fake, make it the acoustic MHTRTC album, will ya? I want to hear it in some form or another.

haha, that would honestly be easier to do I reckon.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think the bros are good intentioned lads, not 4chan conspiracy nuts. They're just outsiders and love freedom of expression. I don't think they make art to hurt people. Even TH was more of a lament.

They also never make comments to the mainstream press the way Aphex did when he said something about "Covid not being real" and they flipped out and he had to backpeddle. I haven't dug into that story beyond seeing the headlines so I don't know who's right and wrong, but I know that this kind of drama is something BOC would never get into. They have their own lives to worry about.

Friendly Stranger
Davism wrote:I think artists CAN be successful, but is it necessary? How many actors or artists do we need telling us how to think? To me, art transcends political persuasions. Art should unify, not divide..... and that's exactly what BoC has done.

'Art should unify, not divide' I think it's more easy by making music that consists of primarily instrumentals, and no vocals. Theres not much to divide people with. But, like for instance the references to Koresh, 666 etc. will probably divide some. I really think art will always divide people. It has to be, maybe not on a political level but it certainly does on a social level. Everything is made out of a point of view some might not like, it's how society works. People will always find a reason to not understand each other especially in this day and age.

The music might not be for everyone, but the 'boc enthusiasts' certainly are. It's really cool to see how everyone respects one another regardless of their views. I think it's a lovely thing society can really learn from. Maybe if everyone magically starts loving life like we love BoC, people feel like they have more in common and people will be nicer to each other.

Something just came to my mind. My favorite Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky once wrote something like: 'True art does not go with political views'. If he says so..... maybe you're right after all.

:]

Boqurant
I dont think they need to express their politics. Their work does it for them. There is a constellation of influences in their work, and these are either hinted at or express, that the listener can do their own work, follow up the themes and references, and come to a view on the politics.

Its like their music is a text, and the political/cultural/sociological framework is buried in the footnotes. Its all footnotes. Nothing express.

Eagle Minded
frankixus wrote:
Davism wrote:I think artists CAN be successful, but is it necessary? How many actors or artists do we need telling us how to think? To me, art transcends political persuasions. Art should unify, not divide..... and that's exactly what BoC has done.

'Art should unify, not divide' I think it's more easy by making music that consists of primarily instrumentals, and no vocals. Theres not much to divide people with. But, like for instance the references to Koresh, 666 etc. will probably divide some. I really think art will always divide people. It has to be, maybe not on a political level but it certainly does on a social level. Everything is made out of a point of view some might not like, it's how society works. People will always find a reason to not understand each other especially in this day and age.

The music might not be for everyone, but the 'boc enthusiasts' certainly are. It's really cool to see how everyone respects one another regardless of their views. I think it's a lovely thing society can really learn from. Maybe if everyone magically starts loving life like we love BoC, people feel like they have more in common and people will be nicer to each other.

Something just came to my mind. My favorite Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky once wrote something like: 'True art does not go with political views'. If he says so..... maybe you're right after all.

:]

Yeah, I should have specified. I think the highest form of Art is not political. And Art can be divisive even without messages, I suppose; some people like abstract art, some prefer realism. But that's more about taste and preference.

But you're absolutely right, we need to find the most worthy thing to be in common with.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada