GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
I dont know if this has been talked about yet, but they linked their instagram to their bandcamp. So I'd say the instagram is pretty much verified.

Friendly Stranger
If anyone has been following the news regarding a mysterious monolith found in Utah desert, another one has apparently appeared in Romania :D

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/11/utahs-2001-like-monolith-mysteriously-disappears/
https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/11/monolith-romania/

It's probably nothing but an art installation, but who knows if its part of an ARG again.

Posts Quantity
ihmeauto wrote:If anyone has been following the news regarding a mysterious monolith found in Utah desert, another one has apparently appeared in Romania :D

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/11/utahs-2001-like-monolith-mysteriously-disappears/

It's probably nothing but an art installation, but who knows if its part of an ARG again.

No offense but this could be ANYTHING, I don't really think a BoC ARG is one of them.
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Posts Quantity
Zephyr Method wrote:
ihmeauto wrote:If anyone has been following the news regarding a mysterious monolith found in Utah desert, another one has apparently appeared in Romania :D

No offense but this could be ANYTHING, I don't really think a BoC ARG is one of them.

It would be fun though. It fits with the space-themed album speculation going on, with the Pioneer plaque banner and these monoliths being obvious references to 2001.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:That leaves the new smile Earth Catalog banner though. I'm pretty sure they didn't just make that for fun. There's probably a reason for it. Whether it be for BOC or not.

Maybe 'Earth Catalog' is the name of our long-awaited archival boxset? 8)

Joking aside, it ties in with Catalog 3, but that could easily be coincidental.

Dayvan Cowboy
I thought all the "hey this weird monolith means a new Boards of Canada album is coming" posts were jokes...

To seriously address that for just a moment: when the Tomorrow's Harvest ARG began, the code records had "Boards of Canada" prominently on the cover, and Warp confirmed they were legit almost immediately. It was essentially marketing as far as the label was concerned.

As relates to the Bandcamp though, it seems like they're gearing up to release something.
Last edited by SamuraiDrifter on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
And they just uploaded the other albums too.

Eagle Minded
Also I gotta say: they created their bandcamp in the early part of the summer, right? Why wait to upload 4-5 months later, unless the timing is significant?

Posts Quantity

Boqurant
I don't know if this is of any significance, but WARP put up Autechre's material on Bandcamp before either the release of SIGN or PLUS.

I really, really hope this means something, but it could just boil down to things being a bit slow around there as they're going on about some "usual" business. Cautiously optimistic, nonetheless...

Dayvan Cowboy
i theorized earlier this year that they might have been digitalizing their archive and might upload it onto a site. That would be cool if they did that with bandcamp.

Pure wishful thinking though, but I feel if Hooper Bay or whatever showed up on there, this forum would crash haha
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
♄ope keeper wrote:Image

That's honestly the kind of imagery I'd would envision they'd go for if this is truly a space-age album. Fits the whole Tomrrowland vibe, which coincidentally, was the image for Societas.

Donald Fagan did a good song about mankind's expectations of what the future would be like and how wrong they were. (IGY)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
Looks like their official releases are all up on the Bandcamp page now

Boqurant
Also, have to wonder why they chose certain tracks to be featured. Magic Window is the featured track on Geogaddi and Collapse is the featured track on Tomorrow's Harvest. It's probably arbitrary, but I wonder if it has any significance.

Posts Quantity
The bandcamp catalog upload just happened in real time - that is some progress right!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posts Quantity
So this bandcamp update means we can confirm that the BOC Instagram is legit—the likes, the clap emojis, the music video posts. That is a hell of a good sign!

Dayvan Cowboy
The Instagram page has been followed by PIC from Hexagon Sun since the beginning, so I never doubted it was legit - on a related note, anyone remotely into photography as an art form should follow him.

Sherbet Head
Slightly odd how the release date they gave for Twoism on the bandcamp is the 2002 re-release rather than the original 1996 one, that could mean that they didn't consider the initial cassette launch an actual "release". Could also just be someone wanting to arrange all the releases so they form a pattern of short-long-short-long-etc., the world may never know.
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Posts Quantity
Twoism 96 was not released on Warp, so that would account for them listing the repress date. I also noticed the short/long pattern (EPs on the left, LPs on the right), but that is probably less by design and more just the general pattern BOC have followed over the years.

Boqurant
SamuraiDrifter wrote:As relates to the Bandcamp though, it seems like they're gearing up to release something.

*cough* probably not
https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/warp-records-comes-to-bandcamp

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada