Confess your BoC sins - what tracks do you always skip?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Biznasty wrote:"ThE lOrD iS mY SheParD."

"ReJeCt EvErY kInD oF eViL."

I hardly listen to AFOT, OTV2, R35TT in general, and when I do I skip about 50% of the songs.
I guess I'm still waiting for that cherry picked bocset.

Boqurant
I sometimes skip the Odd Nosdam remix although I don't think it's bad.

I feel the same way about "Echo the Sun", although it's a nice reprise of "Duffy" but it feels largely unnecessary.

I removed P.C. from Old Tunes for obvious reasons.

For some reason I'll still listen to Magic Window.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:I hardly listen to AFOT, OTV2, R35TT in general, and when I do I skip about 50% of the songs.

I should have never entered this thread. This is sacrilegious.

belchmaster wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:I hardly listen to AFOT, OTV2, R35TT in general, and when I do I skip about 50% of the songs.

Sacrilegious is how the tapes leaked on the internet in the first place and how many inferior "remasters" are currently floating around. All of these versions present a false view of how the songs ought to sound. It's a total mess and I imagine this is not how the brothers intended this to be presented at all.

I wait for the fabled bocset that will most likely present cherry picked, decent sounding, (re)mastered songs from their early days, presented in a beautiful package. A true collectors item.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
belchmaster wrote:

Sacrilegious is how the tapes leaked on the internet in the first place and how many inferior "remasters" are currently floating around. All of these versions present a false view of how the songs ought to sound. It's a total mess and I imagine this is not how the brothers intended this to be presented at all.

I wait for the fabled bocset that will most likely present cherry picked, decent sounding, (re)mastered songs from their early days, presented in a beautiful package. A true collectors item.

A part of me wonders if we would have more rare exclusive stuff if nothing had leaked at all.
joyrex can eat my bankrupt...

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:Sacrilegious is how the tapes leaked on the internet in the first place and how many inferior "remasters" are currently floating around. All of these versions present a false view of how the songs ought to sound. It's a total mess and I imagine this is not how the brothers intended this to be presented at all.

For me, some of their best work can be found on those three collections. A rare insight into the early days where christ. and other artists probably influenced the brothers. Regarding the leak, what's done is done and I'd rather have those original rips than nothing. I have lots of nothing already at home so I'm good on that. Those remasters that try to clean up the old tunes though... Those really are a mess. An official bocset would be wonderful. It is a shame though, that there was talk about that happening many years ago by now. If I remember correctly, even MDG confirmed the bocset at one point. Oh well it is what it is 8) Now if you'll excuse me I have to return some videotapes while listening to Boqurant and 5.9.78

Eagle Minded
I often skip Jacquard Causeway. The bitcrush drums drive me crazy

Posts Quantity
I have a few…

Wendy Miller
Music For Pylons (because of how loud it is)
P.C., Light Clear Hair, Iraq Says, Devil etc.

Friendly Stranger
I also skip From one source all things depend. Way to many vocals, kids talking shit about some god. I know religion and sectarianism are recurrent themes in their music but in me it evokes repulsion and pity more than some sense of awe or agnostic appreciation. Especially because they're kids the pragmatic workings of instrumental religion on conditioning the young and fragile becomes apparent. Never pretty. Besides that, it also makes me feel I'm listening to samples from some conservative family programme such as Kids say the darnest things.

Biznasty wrote:I never skip Dayvan in The Campfire Headphase, but I do usually start Trans Canada Highway with Left Side Drive...

Its a toss up whether I sit through Magic Window or not, but I for sure never wait for From One Source All Things Depend. Can't stand the vocals lol

"ThE lOrD iS mY SheParD."

Kind of ruins the the tone Corsair leaves behind.
“If you can’t laugh at life, it just isn’t funny anymore.” (Wavy Gravy quoted by Sasha in PiHKAL: https://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/read.php?id=64)

Eagle Minded
sund0wn wrote:I also skip From one source all things depend. Way to many vocals, kids talking shit about some god. I know religion and sectarianism are recurrent themes in their music but in me it evokes repulsion and pity more than some sense of awe or agnostic appreciation. Especially because they're kids the pragmatic workings of instrumental religion on conditioning the young and fragile becomes apparent. Never pretty. Besides that, it also makes me feel I'm listening to samples from some conservative family programme such as Kids say the darnest things.

Biznasty wrote:I never skip Dayvan in The Campfire Headphase, but I do usually start Trans Canada Highway with Left Side Drive...

Its a toss up whether I sit through Magic Window or not, but I for sure never wait for From One Source All Things Depend. Can't stand the vocals lol

I'm not sure on this take because I think they tend to balance innocence and wonder with more sinister contrasts throughout their records, and I get the feeling from the song that they're doing just that. Mixing innocent wonder and agnostic whimsy with the scarier undertones of religion as a form of indoctrination. I feel like the two things are true at the same time

Friendly Stranger
Thanks, you're probably right, as the song provides the outro to a great album that plays with innocence, science and dark undertones of religion and sectarianism. Personally I was in a cynical mood writing my post, which sometimes happens while waiting for a sign of life from the brothers. If the album refers to satanism and has stuff like 'the devil has horns' when played backwards chances are high there is some sarcasm or critique in using children's voices refering to god.
In the end however, I'll still skip the track :)

NTFMTS wrote:
sund0wn wrote:I also skip From one source all things depend. Way to many vocals, kids talking shit about some god. I know religion and sectarianism are recurrent themes in their music but in me it evokes repulsion and pity more than some sense of awe or agnostic appreciation. Especially because they're kids the pragmatic workings of instrumental religion on conditioning the young and fragile becomes apparent. Never pretty. Besides that, it also makes me feel I'm listening to samples from some conservative family programme such as Kids say the darnest things.

I'm not sure on this take because I think they tend to balance innocence and wonder with more sinister contrasts throughout their records, and I get the feeling from the song that they're doing just that. Mixing innocent wonder and agnostic whimsy with the scarier undertones of religion as a form of indoctrination. I feel like the two things are true at the same time
“If you can’t laugh at life, it just isn’t funny anymore.” (Wavy Gravy quoted by Sasha in PiHKAL: https://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/read.php?id=64)

Previous

Return to Boards of Canada