GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:Okay. Can we recap what's been going on?

So far I've got:

1. A bunch of likes on social media.
2. A random post on reddit.
3. A youtube channel named with an anagram of Hell Interface displaying a code of some kind, distorted audio and an image of a pier.

Did I miss anything?

I really want this to be something, but my BOCDAR is telling me we're being trolled by someone with too much time on their hands. (As far the likes on Twitter and Instagram, I'm in the camp of those who believe these are not an indication of anything and are probably the work of someone from Warp or possibly MDG.) Please, by all means, convince me I'm wrong and feel free to say, "I told you!".

This is basically it. It's 100% not BoC, (not in the least cos why would they put anything out under a name that's an anagram of Hell Interface that sounded more like it was trying to copy the stylings of their old BoC output?) but I'm bored and it's a fun enough puzzle so far. I mean, they've gone to the trouble of making some music for it at least.

Sherbet Head
I am Not Convinced.

Friendly Stranger
I lean towards very convinced. But you guys stay idle while I collect dem tiles heheehe

Eagle Minded
Fake or not, at least this woke the forum up a bit!

Friendly Stranger
darling_candy wrote:I can't figure out what the last number sequence is. If I apply the same decryption technique that I used for the previous sequence, I get 818x37219x749 that equals (get ready for it) 2.28034e10, which is a mathematical result that employs an e, or Euler's number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_notation

Nothing to do with Euler’s number. It’s shorthand for 2.28034 times 10 to the 10th power, or 22803400000, an approximation of the exact number 22803411358.

Friendly Stranger
“Vile thread”: we have had to deal with an “evil dearth” of fresh BOC material. . .

Boqurant
My main concern with this is that all the references are backward looking - linking to things we know already.

That just doesn't seem very boc to me - unless its unreleased oldtunes - but that doesn't seem very boc either.
I was a kid

Boqurant
On the other hand - someone, MDG, has turned up in the past to discredit hoaxes, right?
I was a kid

Posts Quantity
Some extra information from someone else in a Discord server I'm in

There was a comment posted on the BOC SAY Awards video the day before the clyp.it was posted on reddit, it said "October 23, 2020" and it was posted by "prospectnyc". I reckon this guy might be the creator of this hoax or might be associated with whoever is behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXmTSO ... -hB4AaABAg

Posts Quantity
Discord server? May I join?
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:Some extra information from someone else in a Discord server I'm in

There was a comment posted on the BOC SAY Awards video the day before the clyp.it was posted on reddit, it said "October 23, 2020" and it was posted by "prospectnyc". I reckon this guy might be the creator of this hoax or might be associated with whoever is behind it.

Isn't that the date Arvy just mentioned because it would be a nice date for a release? Does it have any connection to this hoax otherwise?
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Isn't that the date Arvy just mentioned because it would be a nice date for a release? Does it have any connection to this hoax otherwise?

I didn't see that post, you're right Arvy did mention it so yeah I might be wrong, this might have just been posted by someone here. The mysterious nature of the comment and the short time in between the comment and the clyp.it did seem very coincidental.

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
Echelon wrote:Isn't that the date Arvy just mentioned because it would be a nice date for a release? Does it have any connection to this hoax otherwise?

I didn't see that post, you're right Arvy did mention it so yeah I might be wrong, this might have just been posted by someone here. The mysterious nature of the comment and the short time in between the comment and the clyp.it did seem very coincidental.

I don't blame you for thinking that. I've definitely seen people post mysterious dates in BOC related sections before. In this fandom, there's a lot of that!

For all we know, this could be a gimmick for people to promote their music in a BOC fashion and 10/23/20 is their release date.

Sherbet Head
Nah, that's artistic suicide, especially if the music is meant to be for BoC fans. Remember what many of you felt right when Twoism did that BoC hype for their label thingy? People were hyped and then the realisation that it was someone else's promotion, many were pissed, it took a few minutes for people to calm down and congratulate the people involved.
We have to remember it's not our art to get possessive over. That said, this is not BoC, it's fun but it's not BoC.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Not really sure what to think. Leaning towards a cruel joke. Exciting to see all the activity, though.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Nah, that's artistic suicide, especially if the music is meant to be for BoC fans. Remember what many of you felt right when Twoism did that BoC hype for their label thingy? People were hyped and then the realisation that it was someone else's promotion, many were pissed, it took a few minutes for people to calm down and congratulate the people involved.
We have to remember it's not our art to get possessive over. That said, this is not BoC, it's fun but it's not BoC.

Right. So if we eliminate self advertising what we are left with is either a troll doing it for laughs or actually them. The only reason that a person would want to troll the fanbase of a popular IDM band from the 90s is just because of how reactive we are, but otherwise, what's the point?

Then again, I shouldn't question anything that's happening this year! :twisted:

Dayvan Cowboy
vonS wrote: Its using Geogaddi era symbolism and Tomorrows Harvest era methodologies.

I actually think it's a cool concept if BOC combined their most apocalyptic albums and styles and resynthesized them for this so-called modern apocalypse. To be fair, they aren't above synthesizing styles. See the hybrid of Last Walk Around Mirror Lake which is as close as you can get to the offspring of Geogaddi and Campfire Headphase.

If this was hypothetically real, I wouldn't mind a child of Geogaddi and Tomorrow's Harvest.

Eagle Minded
Agreed, a spawn of those two would be top tier for me.

Friendly Stranger
Skyraider wrote:
darling_candy wrote:I can't figure out what the last number sequence is. If I apply the same decryption technique that I used for the previous sequence, I get 818x37219x749 that equals (get ready for it) 2.28034e10, which is a mathematical result that employs an e, or Euler's number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_notation

Nothing to do with Euler’s number. It’s shorthand for 2.28034 times 10 to the 10th power, or 22803400000, an approximation of the exact number 22803411358.

Thanks for the further context on the numbers. I confessed I was not a mathematican. This proves it :D

Friendly Stranger
Echelon wrote:
Geogandhi wrote:Nah, that's artistic suicide, especially if the music is meant to be for BoC fans. Remember what many of you felt right when Twoism did that BoC hype for their label thingy? People were hyped and then the realisation that it was someone else's promotion, many were pissed, it took a few minutes for people to calm down and congratulate the people involved.

Right. So if we eliminate self advertising what we are left with is either a troll doing it for laughs or actually them. The only reason that a person would want to troll the fanbase of a popular IDM band from the 90s is just because of how reactive we are, but otherwise, what's the point?

Then again, I shouldn't question anything that's happening this year! :twisted:

"Maybe these guys are bluffing but maybe they're not!"
"That's what you don't know!"

Couldn't help but think about these lines from SXT today. I'm like the rest of you -- would love to be proved wrong by this elaborate hoax.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada