Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Samplehunter wrote:What about Macquarie Ridge?
Oops.

Side A:
Into The Rainbow Vein
Chromakey Dreamcoat
Satellite Anthem Icarus
Peacock Tail
Macquarie Ridge
Side B:
A Moment of Clarity
Dayvan Cowboy
Under the Coke Sign
Left Side Drive
'84 Pontiac Dream
Sherbet Head
Side C:
Skyliner
Oscar See Through Red Eye
Ataronchronon
Hey Saturday Sun
Constants Are Changing
Side D:
Slow This Bird Down
Tears from the Compound Eye
Farewell Fire
Heard from Telegraph Lines

"Macquarie Ridge" is the kind of track that could only be a closer or the opener to the second half. When played after "Peacock Tail" it almost sounds like a sign of things to come or something like that.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Samplehunter wrote:What about Macquarie Ridge?
Oops.

Side A:
Into The Rainbow Vein
Chromakey Dreamcoat
Satellite Anthem Icarus
Peacock Tail
Macquarie Ridge
Side B:
A Moment of Clarity
Dayvan Cowboy
Under the Coke Sign
Left Side Drive
'84 Pontiac Dream
Sherbet Head
Side C:
Skyliner
Oscar See Through Red Eye
Ataronchronon
Hey Saturday Sun
Constants Are Changing
Side D:
Slow This Bird Down
Tears from the Compound Eye
Farewell Fire
Heard from Telegraph Lines

"Macquarie Ridge" is the kind of track that could only be a closer or the opener to the second half. When played after "Peacock Tail" it almost sounds like a sign of things to come or something like that.

You know, if they combined the LP and the EP I feel TCH's rating would go up with snobs like Pitchfork and what not. Trans Canada Highway featured more electronics and less, if any guitars. That seemed to be Pitchforks whole grudge against the album.

On the other hand, Trans Canada in a way predicts Tomorrow's Harvest what with the return to electronics and sort of a weather/climate centered mood. The Highway tracks are nowhere as bleak, but they make me think of how the weather was in 2006.

So I think in the long run, I'd probably keep them separate even if the hatred for Headphase by the critics would have simmered.

"With TCH, BOC have made a good album...but not a good Boards of Canada album." -Pitchfork
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
BoC live aren't that good. Been listening to Warp X and ATP lately, and I find their sets to be not very cohesive.
1986 Summer Fire

Posts Quantity
I like the ATP version of In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country more than the one that ended up in the EP
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:I'm not against BoC discussion in the slightest, it's why we're all here in the first place. They're an interesting band, and make interesting and unique music worth talking about, but we're a varied group of people with varying opinions and tastes worth talking about as well. We're not BoC worshipers, at least that's what I was led to believe. Hell, I've been listening to Alice In Chains and Soundgarden whilst typing out this post, and that's after spending over a week listening to the dark ambient soundscapes of Silent Hill. We can have all the discussions on their music we want, but when the only topic seems to be "When's the new album coming out?", all I can do is make irreverent non-sequitur jokes, and only for so long.

I've been wondering about replying to this post of yours, and this paragraph in particular. Because you've summarized my thoughts entirely.

I haven't got anything more to add, and if I did, you would all drag me off like a loony. :wink:

Eagle Minded
i feel like nlogax is one of their best tracks and nobody talks about it grr

Happy Cycler
kakanara wrote:i feel like nlogax is one of their best tracks and nobody talks about it grr

It's fucking top shelf.

My controversial opinion is that I am secretly upset that they have not personally introduced themselves to me yet and given me their entire back catalog... yet...

Also, Don't Fear the Reaper is actually their best song.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:
kakanara wrote:i feel like nlogax is one of their best tracks and nobody talks about it grr

It's fucking top shelf.

My controversial opinion is that I am secretly upset that they have not personally introduced themselves to me yet and given me their entire back catalog... yet...

Whut?! Are ye serious... Reaper is overrated as flip. "Burnin' for You" is much hotter shizzle. :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
mechanismj wrote:

It's fucking top shelf.

Whut?! Are ye serious... Reaper is overrated as flip. "Burnin' for You" is much hotter shizzle. :lol:

The guitars on Burning For You make me think of Sonic the Hedgehog

I've always loved Godzilla personally. Such a lovely, fun homage to those classic monster movies
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:The guitars on Burning For You make me think of Sonic the Hedgehog

It reminds me of David Spade flying away in a hot air balloon shaped like a big tooth, and then he looks down a girl's shirt or something. Classic American comedy.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Boqurant
twoism isn't a good album
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Sherbet Head
Sometimes when I listen to Chinook again, I get the vibe that they listened to an Aphex Twin song and went "ok. watch this"

Eagle Minded
μasch wrote:twoism isn't a good album

I mean technically Twoism is an EP, but regardless, I kinda get what you're saying. Individually, the tracks are strong, but it definitely feels more like a compilation than a considered body of work.

Boqurant
Sherbet Head wrote:
μasch wrote:twoism isn't a good album

I mean technically Twoism is an EP, but regardless, I kinda get what you're saying. Individually, the tracks are strong, but it definitely feels more like a compilation than a considered body of work.

I mean both as a whole album performance, but also on the individual tracks quality

appart from Sixtyniner and Twoism (track), the rest of the tracks go from minus average to straight up mediocre

I do like basefree, but form it sounds nothing like boards of canada and doesn't fit the album at all
"Boc is probably in the future thinking about the past" - Sean Booth 05/06/2022

https://maschtob.bandcamp.com/album/the-9th-sacred-camp

Dayvan Cowboy
*deep breath*
I've tried and tried with My Bloody Valentine, now I love my psychedelia and shoegaze, and I've given lots of rock sub-genres my time but I do realize by now that MBV aren't for me. Loveless or 2013's self-titled doesn't allure me like for others, I think it comes down to tonality and how much the music demands my attention through that.

Also, to salt that wound more, I do imagine half of you wouldn't give a second glance or be an avid listen to My Bloody Valentine if boards hadn't given them a big 'ol musical thumbs up in interviews.
I think it's akin to Sociatas X Tape giving BOC fans a wealth of their favourite artists and influences for us to investigate further.
While being of our own spirits, to be influenced by their influences, we also kinda want to be like them. :D

Sherbet Head
Orbited insanitarium wrote:*deep breath*
I've tried and tried with My Bloody Valentine, now I love my psychedelia and shoegaze, and I've given lots of rock sub-genres my time but I do realize by now that MBV aren't for me. Loveless or 2013's self-titled doesn't allure me like for others, I think it comes down to tonality and how much the music demands my attention through that.

Also, to salt that wound more, I do imagine half of you wouldn't give a second glance or be an avid listen to My Bloody Valentine if boards hadn't given them a big 'ol musical thumbs up in interviews.
I think it's akin to Sociatas X Tape giving BOC fans a wealth of their favourite artists and influences for us to investigate further.
While being of our own spirits, to be influenced by their influences, we also kinda want to be like them. :D

Nothing wrong with that at all! If it helps at all, that's how I feel about Tool :lol:
They'd probably feel grand about you doin' you. Part of the magic is that we're all different, but this bitchin music is the one thing that we've all got in common.
It would be totally creepy if this board was full of mini-BoC copycats anyways :shock:

Sherbet Head
I'm gonna snipe each and every one of you that called Tomorrow's Harvest a debbie-downer.
Boo. Boooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! That album is polished as fuck! Yall missin' on that one. Fr!

Dayvan Cowboy
My most controversial BOC opinion is that I really don't care about anything pre-Twoism/BOC Maxima. The Old Tunes, Random 35, any of the supposed albums: Catalog 3, Acid Memories, Hooper Bay, etc

My ideal box set if it were to ever come up would include material that didn't make the cut for any of their official albums/EPs. I don't really wanna hear the rudimentary early stuff, if they even exist

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:*deep breath*

I totally respect your opinion; MBV definitely aren't everyone's cup of tea, but that second statement is a bit silly.

My own, and, I assume, most folks' appreciation of MBV is totally independent from BoC. Loveless was already one of my favourite albums before I even knew the bros had cited them as an influence.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:I totally respect your opinion; MBV definitely aren't everyone's cup of tea, but that second statement is a bit silly.

My own, and, I assume, most folks' appreciation of MBV is totally independent from BoC. Loveless was already one of my favourite albums before I even knew the bros had cited them as an influence.

Perhaps I shouldn't have started it out with "To salt that wound" it might've phrased the rest of the sentence quite negatively. :lol:
It's an interesting thought though! And it's an honest question for all of you. Did you find MBV through BOC or by your own volition?
I say half but I do not rely on that percentage, you couldn't know precisely. I can say though, that my knowledge of My Bloody Valetine was only through the connection with BoC and people on twoism who listened to MBV, it ties in more about what I was saying in the following paragraph, I only bought Loveless in a record shop because my mind said "Ah, well if the brothers Sandison are influenced by them, I really should explore this and see."
Looking back, it's certainly personal but I went and threw it out there.

And here's a second question, if you liked My Bloody Valentine's music before hand, did your knowledge of BOC's respect for them and influence grow your appreciation for the shoegaze band individually?

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada