Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:Genuinely..?

Some Boards fans are way too intense for me; it's cool to love a band as much as we all do but the propensity for people to become way too full on is kinda annoying. To clarify I do not mean fan enthusiasm for knowledge and discussion, that is great and only adds to the mystique and power of the band. What I do mean is the idea some people believe they have this greater emotional connection to the music that others don't. You can't measure your love for a band against another persons.

*prepares for abuse*

No abuse necessary.

This is closely related and in much simpler terms: a sizable chunk of BoC's fanbase is a cult with varying degrees of goofiness from person to person.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
OK, here you go:

- These two have more going for them than any other musician I've ever laid ears on. Period. Their skill, their musical sensibility, their ideology and the way the convey their concepts and emotions. All of it comes together in a way that blows everything I've ever heard out of the water.

That isn't to say that I'm not open to discovering better music, in fact it is precisely the opposite, I just haven't encountered it so far. I also do not mean to say they are perfect, nothing is perfect. They have some work that I don't care for and there are things they could have done better.

- The reason their fan base gets so frustrated with them at times is because they have so much artistic integrity. They don't compromise, they take care not to deviate too much from the conceptual focus of this project. That means they can come off as stale, and it can at other times mean that they take directions with new releases which don't fit our view of what they are supposed to do. This kind of feeling goes right back to the release of Geogaddi.

- I do not see the two preceding views as biased fanboyism. I am not being hasty in making these statements. They have been gestating in my mind for years, and I have tried to rebut them, going back and forth with my self. But I always come back to the same conclusions. I don't view my self as elitist, at least not in the sense of disregarding art with which I am not familiar or have not given the right amount of time towards. In fact on that note, if you know something which I might not, an act, an album, whatever, then please introduce me to it. I am always on the lookout for sublime music! :)

- Fujee, I guess you probably see this post as exactly the kind of mentality you don't like. I have to say this comes off a lot worse in text than it would in person. I am not the kind of fan who takes offence to anything people have to say about BOC. I will always be as honest as I can about my opinions and will defend them to a certain extent, but I only have an emotional connection to the band, not to how much others agree with me. And I definitely do not take the mindset that I have some kind of ethereal, godly connection to their music that others don't have. We've both seen people's love for BOC first hand anyway ;)

Happy Cycler
I've rarely seen what I am talking about on here anyway, it's more on other BoC featured sites. Don't all get the wrong end of the stick now guys, I think you're all great 8)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
Here goes...

1. I have thought/felt this for a while, and I know it's a controversy given what so many other (online) fans seem to think/feel: I'm really not that into Geogaddi.

I have tried hard, over the years, to 'get' what others get out of it - at least to the extent they do. Don't get me wrong, it's still incredible music, generally thematically sound, challenging, well-produced (etc). But that extent to which some hold it, I do not.

2. I agree with the poster on the previous page: The Campfire Headphase is their greatest album.

For me, MHTRTC as a whole (artwork included) is the 'artifact' which best encapsulates boc, and it has such a big place in my heart and my memories, and what it meant to encounter back in those late pre-millenial years. But Campfire as a 'whole' is just something else... it's got narrative, depth, *beautiful* and challenging music, coherent thematic ideas. A whole treasure trove of things that get discovered on new listens.

3. (related to (2)): I detest the hard time that TCH gets. Mainly from reviewers (mainstream) and also from some fans.

~Snuf (who also agrees w/ fujee)

Happy Cycler
I find it funny that so many people have to express their love for TCH in a way like it's uncommon, or in this case controversial.

Forever, there's the constant discussion about how everybody hates TCH. Then, all I see are people talking about how amazing TCH is. It's hilarious.

I'm not challenging the opinion that Geogaddi is the pinnacle of their work because I agree with it, but it's not like it's wrong to like TCH more than the rest of their albums. Even if it's different, it still has the depth and attention to detail that defines BoC, even if it's slower or less varied. There's nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.

They had a tough act to follow. They followed it with a good, different act. One with guitars and a larger amount of textured samples that changed when you slowed things up/sped things down. I sit here, at my desktop, with rain pouring against the window. It's a dimly lit day and Ataronchronon matches it completely. I understand TCH being thought of as less, but it's at least a good 7.5/10, at the very least.

Then afterwards they had a good, not unbeatable act to follow. They followed it with a tremendously mediocre act. One that I still cannot accurately describe to this day. Almost seems like it was an attempt to make those who disliked TCH realize just how much worse things could be, almost seems in spite.

Well, whatever.

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:I've rarely seen what I am talking about on here anyway, it's more on other BoC featured sites. Don't all get the wrong end of the stick now guys, I think you're all great 8)

Coolbeans :)

Oh and yes I agree Rodheh (except on TH.) I think it is a bit of a remnant from the mentality people had when TCHP was released. I guess those who love it just assume that most fans don't like it, because it might have felt like the case back in '05. I don't think it's a controversial viewpoint, and TCHP holds a special place in my heart. Chromakey still makes me feel ecstatic when I listen to it.

Eagle Minded
For what is worth, I think Geogaddi is a much less likable album then any of the rest. By likable I mean strictly the enjoyment of pleasable melodies. It's a dark album with a dense atmosphere that goes from hell to heaven, and it gets a good while to get there. Don't get me wrong, I love the album as much as the next guy, but in my general mood I would chose to listen to TCH over Geogaddi on most occasions.

EDIT: Also adding I don't believe the general opinion is against THC. Geogaddi also didn't had rave reviews when it came out as many thought it was more of the same, yet opinion changed on its favour with time. Since TCH is a more recent release in time it can still give the illusion of not amazing reviews, but I think people still got to get in love with it during these last years.
---
Fuck transphobes

Happy Cycler
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
fujee wrote:I've rarely seen what I am talking about on here anyway, it's more on other BoC featured sites. Don't all get the wrong end of the stick now guys, I think you're all great 8)

Coolbeans :)

Oh and yes I agree Rodheh (except on TH.) I think it is a bit of a remnant from the mentality people had when TCHP was released. I guess those who love it just assume that most fans don't like it, because it might have felt like the case back in '05. I don't think it's a controversial viewpoint, and TCHP holds a special place in my heart. Chromakey still makes me feel ecstatic when I listen to it.

Chromakey is really the only sort of "traditional" BoC song on the album and is possibly my favorite from it. The rest is a departure but in that sort of area stuff like Constants are Changing hits me the most.

EDIT: I will never get "oh Geogaddi is so dark" in contrast to the other albums point of view.

Boqurant
Palace Posy is awful, it drags Tomorrow's Harvest down significantly and doesn't fit the mood of the album at all.
Trans Canada Highway is forgettable. Apart from Left Side Drive, i couldn't care less about it. I also dont see why they put Dayvan Cowboy there, did we really need another copy?
Nlogax sucks.

Deep. That's how you spell controversy.
If you don't have the dik sometime, then the art is not about human race. Then is not art. This my theory.

http://instagram.com/jamesyboyyyy

Dayvan Cowboy
MHTRTC is a good album with some great tunes on it. But it seems to me to be compromised... theres some stuff on there that sounds like they were trying to fit or bridge their sound to the 'Warp sound' of the day. In a way their later stuff and the earlier stuff didn't.

It took me the longest of all their albums to 'get' (and I only had an incomplete version of it till last year, lol) and Its still not my favourite of theirs (though tracks on it are) so I'm probably doing it and them a huge disservice to suggest it was anything less than 100pc the album they wanted to make. But it does give me that vibe and you wanted controversial.

Dayvan Cowboy
MrMessiah wrote:MHTRTC is a good album with some great tunes on it. But it seems to me to be compromised... theres some stuff on there that sounds like they were trying to fit or bridge their sound to the 'Warp sound' of the day. In a way their later stuff and the earlier stuff didn't.

It took me the longest of all their albums to 'get' (and I only had an incomplete version of it till last year, lol) and Its still not my favourite of theirs (though tracks on it are) so I'm probably doing it and them a huge disservice to suggest it was anything less than 100pc the album they wanted to make. But it does give me that vibe and you wanted controversial.

It is definitely their least cohesive sounding release, I agree on that one. I don't think they were trying to emulate the sound of their contemporaries with the more complex beat driven tracks (I assume you're thinking of things like telephasic). But it definitely sounds like a bunch of tunes that have been created in different years and put together to form a loose narrative. Kind of like Boc Maxima I guess. It feels more like a collage than the concept album most of us view it as.

The upshot is that there isn't a single tune which doesn't stand on its own feet except for, in my view, Rue the Whirl. I bloody hate that tune, never could get into it no matter how hard I tried.

Boqurant
I really like Rue the Whirl.

This pretty much sums it all up.

8)
Green

Sherbet Head
owning both geogaddi and mhtr cassettes has given me super powers in bed
*farts*

idk

Boqurant
seanandcandy wrote:owning both geogaddi and mhtr cassettes has given me super powers in bed

Ahahahahahaha! That was great :)
Green

Posts Quantity

Sherbet Head
Tomnz11 wrote:Palace Posy is awful, it drags Tomorrow's Harvest down significantly and doesn't fit the mood of the album at all.
Trans Canada Highway is forgettable. Apart from Left Side Drive, i couldn't care less about it. I also dont see why they put Dayvan Cowboy there, did we really need another copy?
Nlogax sucks.

Palace Posy is an interlude, bro

Happy Cycler
Tomnz11 wrote:Palace Posy is awful, it drags Tomorrow's Harvest down significantly and doesn't fit the mood of the album at all.
Nlogax sucks.

I was with you in the first part. Hardcore.
Felt you a lot in the second part, though my Trans Canada Highway pick is Under The Coke Sign.
You lost me at Nlogax. :roll:

Happy Cycler
MrMessiah wrote:MHTRTC is a good album with some great tunes on it. But it seems to me to be compromised... theres some stuff on there that sounds like they were trying to fit or bridge their sound to the 'Warp sound' of the day. In a way their later stuff and the earlier stuff didn't.

I definitely hold the same opinion here, though I definitely also love MHTRTC.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
Geogaddi is meh. Campfire is amazing. Harvest is very good. Palace Posy is fantastic. Zeotrope is wonderful. The old releases don't exist. Boc Maxima more accurately portrays their music than Music Has the Right. Nlogax is slow but purposeful. The best remix Boards has ever done is Poppy Seed. The best remix of their music is Last Walk. Solange can eat a bag of dicks. I am indifferent to Come to Dust. Rue the Whirl is kind of just there, not good or bad, but it is better than House of Abin'adab. Anything is better than House of Abin'adab. Even Basefree. Cheers.

Dayvan Cowboy
zeoevil wrote:Geogaddi is meh. Campfire is amazing. Harvest is very good. Palace Posy is fantastic. Zeotrope is wonderful. The old releases don't exist. Boc Maxima more accurately portrays their music than Music Has the Right. Nlogax is slow but purposeful. The best remix Boards has ever done is Poppy Seed. The best remix of their music is Last Walk. Solange can eat a bag of dicks. I am indifferent to Come to Dust. Rue the Whirl is kind of just there, not good or bad, but it is better than House of Abin'adab. Anything is better than House of Abin'adab. Even Basefree. Cheers.

Good show!

Interesting thing to say about Boc Maxima.

Don't agree with half of the rest.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada