Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Borrowed from another forum I visit. If this thread already exists, this one can be locked.

Basically, you share your opinions that most people don't agree with regarding BoC's music. By that I mean specific ones, not just "Harvest/Campfire sucks" or something like that. I.E. "I don't like the children in Roygbiv" or "Smokes Quantity is boring".

To start: of many people I've talked to about it, I've gotten far more "THAT SUCKS" responses to the BoC remix of Clouddead's Dead Dogs Two than even "it's okay" responses. I don't get it. This is one of their greatest remixes ever in my opinion.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Posts Quantity
the early stuff is rubbish. I can't understand why people want this box set of early material, I'd much rather BOC spend their time making new stuff.

Posts Quantity
the early stuff is great. I can't understand why people don't want this box set of early material, I'd much rather BOC not spend their time making new stuff.

Boqurant
haha

Sherbet Head
The Campfire Headphase is their best album

Boqurant
Come to Dust is camp and tacky, it makes me cringe and it goes nowhere. That's it, though.
If you don't have the dik sometime, then the art is not about human race. Then is not art. This my theory.

http://instagram.com/jamesyboyyyy

Dayvan Cowboy
I wish I had a controversial opinion. I don't really care for Zoetrope, Basefree or Rue the Whirl much, but I see those particular songs mentioned specifically quote often. The last 1/3 of TCH seems to go nowhere, but I hear people call this album frontloaded all the time, so its the same thing as that I guess.

How about this - if I had to pick an "album" to listen to, I'd choose R35TT or OTV2 over TCH any day of the week?

Sorry to pile on TCH, but the rest of their official catalog is about as perfect as you can get, but I'll admit that the first half is quite good, even if its somewhat overproduced in their own way.

Eagle Minded
BOC were secretly really pissed off that Campfire Headphase met with such a lukewarm response (in the UK at least), and they hated the fact people called it 'lightweight', 'not dark enough', and 'lacking edge'.
After a tortuous, bitter 8 year gestation Tomorrow's Harvest was BOC's revenge on their own fans :shock:
...what subtlety?

Posts Quantity
Najlepsiejszy wrote:The Campfire Headphase is their best album

Couldn't agree more & by a country mile

Posts Quantity
Najlepsiejszy wrote:The Campfire Headphase is their best album

You are holding the list upside down mate

Sherbet Head
Not much at add here. Rue the Whirl is completely meh, and Zoetrope is almost the best thing Boards have ever released.

Sherbet Head
When they play live again I would like to see one of them on electronic drums holding down fat beats.

New Seed
BoC Maxima is their most fully realized effort to date.

Not the most controversial one, but uncommon for sure.

Dayvan Cowboy
kid wrote:the early stuff is rubbish. I can't understand why people want this box set of early material, I'd much rather BOC spend their time making new stuff.

strike 1

Torn n Frayed wrote:When they play live again I would like to see one of them on electronic drums holding down fat beats.

jam session

Friendly Stranger
Palace Posy is awful, it drags Tomorrow's Harvest down significantly and doesn't fit the mood of the album at all.
Trans Canada Highway is forgettable. Apart from Left Side Drive, i couldn't care less about it. I also dont see why they put Dayvan Cowboy there, did we really need another copy?
Nlogax sucks.
Boards of Canada, Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, Aphex Twin, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Strokes, Nicolas Jaar, Pink Floyd, Anstam

Eagle Minded
i find Smokes Quantity unlistenable for some reason.
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

Happy Cycler
23degreesdream wrote:i find Smokes Quantity unlistenable for some reason.

Perhaps because, among many great tracks (both on MHTRTC and Twoism), it sounds like the equivalent of what Hexagon Sun HQ has as their elevator music and it goes almost nowhere?
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
Genuinely..?

Some Boards fans are way too intense for me; it's cool to love a band as much as we all do but the propensity for people to become way too full on is kinda annoying. To clarify I do not mean fan enthusiasm for knowledge and discussion, that is great and only adds to the mystique and power of the band. What I do mean is the idea some people believe they have this greater emotional connection to the music that others don't. You can't measure your love for a band against another persons.

*prepares for abuse*
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Boqurant
fujee wrote:Genuinely..?

Some Boards fans are way too intense for me; it's cool to love a band as much as we all do but the propensity for people to become way too full on is kinda annoying. To clarify I do not mean fan enthusiasm for knowledge and discussion, that is great and only adds to the mystique and power of the band. What I do mean is the idea some people believe they have this greater emotional connection to the music that others don't. You can't measure your love for a band against another persons.

*prepares for abuse*

I think I agree with that. Though a lot of people associate BoC with nostalgia, (I being one of those people), does that count as a 'greater emotional connection'?

Happy Cycler
That does, but that is a personal reflection of your understanding of the music and thats totally cool with me. What I more mean is when someone tries to make out the band means more to them (for reason x,y,z etc..) than another fan. But it isn't totally unique to BoC and you do get it in other hardcore fan bases.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Next

Return to Boards of Canada