Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I don't care what any of you say, Jacquard Causeway and White Cyclosa are the best tracks on Tomorrow's Harvest. Only by a small margin, though.

Posts Quantity
Lies. Sundown is the best TH track.
Welcome, my friend. These are my people; now they are your people too.

Eagle Minded
Bump time.

I think The Campfire Headphase is not only boc's best album, but the greatest album of all time. :mrgreen:

Discuss.

Sherbet Head
It is indeed a great album. I'm pretty tired right now so that's all I can muster :)

Edit: Lol I'm so tired I thought you were talking about Tomorrows Harvest! Goodnight :}

Eagle Minded
A Tomorrow's Harvest kinda person, eh? Don't worry I like it just as much as all their others (TCH included), it's just not the one that I would want to be stranded on a desert island with. All of side 3 on that though really gets me.... some of their finest moments indeed.

Discuss. :lol:

Eagle Minded
TH is a nice album
All their albums are great

But Geogaddi and TCH are just perfection (but especially TCH)

Eagle Minded
Personally, I've never really warmed up to TH like I have to the other albums. It's a bit too cold for me, and a bit too clean sounding as well―not nearly as much grit or character as the other albums. That's not to say I don't like TH, but it just doesn't evoke that lovely nostalgic feeling that their other albums do. I know people are gonna hate me for this, but hey, I guess this is the right thread for saying this sort of thing.

All that being said, I really do admire the work that went into this album― I can't get enough of Jacquard Causeway or Nothing Is Real, but the album as a whole just hasn't “clicked” for me in the way that all their other albums have.
Mexicola wrote:Marcus had that beard and longer hair waaaaay back.

Friendly Stranger
Everything you do is a baloon should've been on MHTRTC instead of rue the Whirl.

Dayvan Cowboy
TCH and TH both are my favorite BOC albums, one for the mind one for the soul, TCH is really an emotional record for me, it's like walking on the last summer days looking at falling tree leaves, catching the last warm moments, while feeling the end of it, Campfire Headphase probably the most nostalgic record from BOC, it's almost they manage to carry those memories in to the music, it's little sad and beautiful, like September,
TH is also very emotional record for me, the difference I guess is in the core of ideas presented in the album, it's not like it can't be like TCH, more like it should be like TH. Simply that you can't change your future, as this being predetermined, you can know more about yourself, about the world, but you can't change it, as you and everything arround is a part of a bigger plan, a circle of life . Because of that, you can slightly change your perspective, all the chaos that surrounds us is makes more sense now, as everyone, the rich and poor, the strong and weak, everyone will die eventually, no matter how many laws you made, you will obey by that one, and that's is main theme of the album, I think.

Eagle Minded
Totally agree with you, Headphase. I can see where you're coming from Cosmic Manta, TH is real dark and real bleak, especially the first half, so not always an easy listen. It took many spins for that one to really open up for me.

And good analysis Arvy, I was born in September so maybe that explains why the luchness of TCH really captivates me. Also from a beautiful place myself and TCH really soundtracks natural beauty like no other thing I've ever heard.

Sherbet Head
their songs can become way too repetitive at times.

there i said it.

Sherbet Head
I don't agree with BOC on releasing as little music as they do. I get the whole secluded pilgrim shit but having this many fans I'd definitely put out some well sought after music knowing that I could make so many people around the globe happy.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hardly controversial but I wasn't going to scroll looking for the RFTD thread.
When they stated that you have to 'think sideways' about some of the track names I instantly realised that the title literally means nostalgia and nothing to do with the physically 'dead'.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:Hardly controversial but I wasn't going to scroll looking for the RFTD thread.
When they stated that you have to 'think sideways' about some of the track names I instantly realised that the title literally means nostalgia and nothing to do with the physically 'dead'.

Interesting, will you explain a little more ? :) I think the best example of 'look sideways at track titles is Split Your Infinities Uritual and Nothing is Real which makes SUN

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Interesting, will you explain a little more ? :) I think the best example of 'look sideways at track titles is Split Your Infinities Uritual and Nothing is Real which makes SUN

Good observation. Something I hadn't picked up on actually. Uritual is a nice play on words. The historic supplementing of 'U' as 'V' has always lead me to believe it is a combination of Virtual and You-ritual. Ritualistic obsession with technology perhaps but I shouldn't start going down that train of thought right now. Palace posy has (apart from being a now well known anagram) to me always been a metaphor for hospitals and what will result of humans basically creating antibiotic resistant bacteria without a cure. A palace of 'posies' (false historical remedy for plague) or ineffective remedies for treating man made diseases i.e reaping tomorrow's harvest in one sense. There are a lot of thoughts on track titles but I don't necessarily believe them, I just like to toy with ideas on them.

To answer the inital question. Reach for the dead can be interpreted as nostalgia because the 'nost' (nostro) in nostalgia refers to the dead or that which is no longer present and the rest of the word describes a longing for (reaching for something)

Edit: Oh and the track immediately following the three that you discovered spell 'SUN' is 'Sundown' Groovy (:

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:
arvy wrote:Interesting, will you explain a little more ? :) I think the best example of 'look sideways at track titles is Split Your Infinities Uritual and Nothing is Real which makes SUN

Good observation. Something I hadn't picked up on actually. Uritual is a nice play on words. The historic supplementing of 'U' as 'V' has always lead me to believe it is a combination of Virtual and You-ritual. Ritualistic obsession with technology perhaps but I shouldn't start going down that train of thought right now. Palace posy has (apart from being a now well known anagram) to me always been a metaphor for hospitals and what will result of humans basically creating antibiotic resistant bacteria without a cure. A palace of 'posies' (false historical remedy for plague) or ineffective remedies for treating man made diseases i.e reaping tomorrow's harvest in one sense. There are a lot of thoughts on track titles but I don't necessarily believe them, I just like to toy with ideas on them.

To answer the inital question. Reach for the dead can be interpreted as nostalgia because the 'nost' (nostro) in nostalgia refers to the dead or that which is no longer present and the rest of the word describes a longing for (reaching for something)

Edit: Oh and the track immediately following the three that you discovered spell 'SUN' is 'Sundown' Groovy (:

Thanks for the explanation, great post ! :)

So the meaning of dead is aleady incoded in nostalgia' and this means reaching for which is no longer present(dead), which would be, nostalgia

Eagle Minded
AnalogueDreams wrote:If we are really talking controversial, I would like to put it out there that I think that Ctrl All Del's remix of TCH (I believe it was called The Phasefire Camphead) was one of the best and coolest things I have ever heard. I almost completely destroyed the original feelings and emotions of TCH, but the way it was done really makes me ponder over it. It is in my top three BoC albums, with only TCH and Geogaddi rising above it.

Especially loved The Macridge Quarie and This Bird Slow Down.

Well thank you for your kind words friend. I made The Phasefire Camphead: )
you don't care to hear until you listen

Posts Quantity
I think that they should care more about their fanbase...
If at present have no ideas... give us something from the older times.
Take Aphex for example (3 cds in 2 years and 200+ tracks from the basement, Autechre moved forward as well.)

eh.

Sherbet Head
In_The_Annexe wrote:I made The Phasefire Camphead: )

The best BoC album by far !

Friendly Stranger
Might not be that controversial, but I think the whole "no contact with fans" thing is a bit pretentious. At least talk to us a little bit.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada