Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I actually think Treat Em Right proves they still got it. The drums may be too normal but the melody is beautiful and gritty. Welcome to the 2020s from BOC and I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
I'd rather listen to Magic Window than Basefree, June 9th, or Chinook.
Heard from the Horizon Radar

Posts Quantity
Samplehunter wrote: The Kool & the Gang sample in The Way You Show is awkward, as is the self-reference in MHTRTC version of One Very Important Thought.

Hah, I think The Way You Show is along with Music For Pylons the only two BoC tracks I straight up dislike, I also think the self-reference in One Very Important Thought is a bit awkward, I prefer the original version.

There's also a couple of tracks that I always found a bit boring: Rue The Whirl and M9, although I do like Rue The Whirl's ending with the bird sounds.

Lastly I find myself removing Nova Scotia Robots from the playlist when I'm listening to AFOT, I just like Up The March Bank as a closer better, dunno why, I usually listen to this tape really late in the night and prefer dozing off to that one final track and its not like I care a lot about Nova Scotia Robots either...

Biznasty wrote:I'd rather listen to Magic Window than Basefree

I used to not be a fan of Basefree at first but I love it nowadays

Biznasty wrote:June 9th

Say whaaat? :shock:
MUSIC70INTHEHOUSE

Eagle Minded
Oh boy, here we go...

• Boc Maxima > MHTRTC (in terms of actual good tracks)
• If given the choice, I'd pick a comprehensive archival boxset over a new album.
• I can see why Dayvan Cowboy is their most popular track, but I personally think it's pretty average.
• Twoism is my least favourite BoC release (but BoC at their worst is still leagues above many artists at their best)
• Old Tunes 1 > 2
• Tomorrow's Harvest features the best artwork of any BoC release.
• Jacquard Causeway is not only the best track on TH, but one of the best tunes they've ever made.

Have I pissed you lot off enough?

Sherbet Head wrote:• Jacquard Causeway is not only the best track on TH, but one of the best tunes they've ever made.

It's my #2 right after EYDIAB. Such a stellar song!

Sherbet Head
Sherbet Head wrote:Have I pissed you lot off enough?

No. Not at all. I think Headphase is better than Geogaddi. Apples and oranges are both fruit.

Dayvan Cowboy
Controversial eh? Heeere we go!

- Sundown is my favourite off Tomorrow's Harvest, it feels crucial to the album. A pivotal point near the end of the record for reflection.

- I don't listen to BoC half as much as I used to, a variety of other bands, solo artists and music projects have been pulled off my shelf recently. :P

- Farewell Fire is the closing track I enjoy the most, The Campfire Headphase could only end that way.

- Geogaddi's Album cover is the one I like the least.

- On the Hi Scores EP, I would've liked to see Turquoise Hexagon Sun replaced by Whitewater.

Eagle Minded
Fredd-E wrote:
Sherbet Head wrote:• Jacquard Causeway is not only the best track on TH, but one of the best tunes they've ever made.

Great taste. Both tunes would definitely appear in my top 5.

zeoevil wrote:

No. Not at all. I think Headphase is better than Geogaddi. Apples and oranges are both fruit.

Pure blasphemy, but I'll allow it. :wink:

Orbited insanitarium wrote:- I don't listen to BoC half as much as I used to, a variety of other bands, solo artists and music projects have been pulled off my shelf recently. :P

I can kinda relate to this. I tend to go through phases with music - often I'll go months, sometimes even years, without listening to a favourite band/artist.

BoC are definitely more of a mainstay for me, though. I'm never out of BoC-mode for too long!

Sherbet Head
Seems this will be controversial: Jacquard Causeway is the weakest track on the album for me, it's fine, but it just does not pull off or go far enough with the jankyness, it's left in some midway poly rhythm limbo, somewhere that I don't feel BoC need to be.
TH is still their weakest album musically but strongest conceptually. They buried their references too deeply, if they were even meant to be found. I kind of force myself to listen to it and I do enjoy it when I do, there are highlights and it is a strong album overall when i'm in it but JC always bores me and I am so tempted to skip. TH is good as an album but the others are just SO high up in my estimation that it's nigh on impossible to hold a candle to them. I know very well that the hype of the new album will far outweigh the reality of the music so I kinda want them to drop it out of nowhere at a time i'm barely online so i'll get no hype and I happen upon it a month late and I can then appreciate the album for what it is. IF there is to be a new album of course.
You could feel the bullshit

Boqurant
Okay, hear me out. Be prepared for some conspiracy.

The brothers' decision to not release any of their earliest music (which may not even exist) is hypocritical, even if it's their decision to make.

The title of their debut LP, "Music Has the Right to Children", is one with many interpretations as to what it could possibly mean, but my interpretation (which can't be correct, since there is no right answer) is that music deserves to be heard, no matter how bad the artist perceives it as being. When we die, our stories are given to the people who knew us, and even if we had no biological children, the recipients of our stories become our children (technically speaking, if the very loose definition of children we're going by here is "people who must carry out the legacy of their forebearers by telling their stories", which I very much am). Each time we listen to a piece of music, we are being told a story (even moreso if the music is purely instrumental, as we are creating our own story), and it is our responsibility to carry that story with us and share it with others. By refusing to release their earliest material, they are denying music the ability to have children, and therefore going against what the message at the end of their first LP stated. BoC are the very people stopping us from listening to BoC.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
I wait, tense...then disappointed

Dayvan Cowboy
Fredd-E wrote:

It's a #2 alright... just kidding

Possibly controversial opinion: The drums and other percussion are the most underrated aspect of BoC's song catalogue. If you were to play any isolated drumbeat from either Geogaddi or MHTRTC I could probably name the track instantly, but I honestly don't think I could do the same for the whole of The Campfire Headphase. Okay, I probably could, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make. Either way, I think their drumbeats got noticeably less interesting on the last two LPs.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Sherbet Head
Sherbet Head wrote:
zeoevil wrote:

Pure blasphemy, but I'll allow it. :wink:

Blasphemy? They're both fruit. What are you on about?

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

It's a #2 alright... just kidding

Possibly controversial opinion: The drums and other percussion are the most underrated aspect of BoC's song catalogue. If you were to play any isolated drumbeat from either Geogaddi or MHTRTC I could probably name the track instantly, but I honestly don't think I could do the same for the whole of The Campfire Headphase. Okay, I probably could, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make. Either way, I think their drumbeats got noticeably less interesting on the last two LPs.

I think the biggest loss about TH is not even the drums, for there are truly some standouts but the fact it's a lot less beatier than the classic trilogy. It was intentional of course because they needed to go in a different direction after the copycats drove the MHTRTC sound into the ground. But I miss the chill out feel of the classic period.

On the other hand, they ended up inventing a brilliant new genre when the beats are there: 80s post apocalyptic soundtrack hip hop.

I'm at the point where I fully welcome TH into the classic canon and all my previous digs at it are null. :D Now for the next one please!
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
If you’ve never listened to BoC on drugs, you’ve never listened to BoC.
preparation for a dive.

Dayvan Cowboy
I for one would love to hear a release in a similar vein as the Dead Dogs Two instrumental. It shows a slightly different approach from the brothers...capturing their genius but in a somewhat more playful and subtle way. I think this leads me on to the problem I have with Tomorrow's Harvest. Whilst undoubtedly a very well written and composed album - it lacks that certain playfulness...the magic and hope that glimmers throughout their other material. It simply leaves me feeling... deflated. And whilst that is well and fine to experience, it's not something I often look to return to.

https://clouddead.bandcamp.com/track/de ... strumental

Posts Quantity
AFOT is their best work
Fly!

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
Sherbet Head wrote:• I can see why Dayvan Cowboy is their most popular track, but I personally think it's pretty average.

It reminds me that it maybe used to be my favorite track of theirs when I discovered them, mainly because of the fact that The Campfire Headphase clicked faster than the other ones for me, but considering that I'm more into Geogaddi nowadays, it's not the case anymore.

(And the question of my favorite BoC track was quickly solved by both versions of Aquarius :D)

I still think that Dayvan is an outstanding track, obviously, but maybe a little bit overrated, yeah.

Posts Quantity
Palace Posy is one of their most underrated tracks

Heard From Telegraph Lines is top 3 Boards of Canada songs

The decision to not release Happy Cycling on the Peel Session reissue is pretty lame

I have a crush on Marcus Eoin, sorry

Dayvan Cowboy
My controversial opinion: I'm totally fine with the amount of music BOC have released and their choice not to publish their older music at this point.

While I'm curious to hear more, BOC is my favorite artist of all time and has a discography that no other group can touch. Whatever process they're using to choose the tracks they ultimately release is 100% working and I trust them to make the best decisions about what is worth putting out.

Eagle Minded
I don't know if this is controversial, but here goes...

I think the brothers are children of someone special who has been kept secret.
I think that whoever those parents are, they blessed them with something and I think they're passing it down to their own children.
Music has that right, to be passed down through the generations, but the skills to make that music can be taught.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada