Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
My album rankings are:

1: TCH
2: MHTRTC
3: Geo
4: TH

Not having nice, clean uncompressed digital copies of XYZ, Chinook, Korona and the Hell Interface remixes annoys me a bit.

Duplicating tracks between EPs and Albums is a bit cheap. Doubling up tracks between EPs is unfathomable considering their wealth of material (which includes Kiteracer 2, which is just too gorgeous for words.)

Tracks that I don't like are very, very few. Ngolax springs to mind though, particularly the uneventful first half. :)

Sherbet Head
Nlogax is getting a hard time in this thread!

I 'properly' listened to Boc yesterday for the first time in *ages*. I've just finished a year of studying, and didn't have a good sound setup for the most part (just a laptop, w/ no speakers). But I have a free house at the moment - a little one-story wooden house with awesome acoustics - and hooked up to the main speaker system whilst doing a mega post-study clean-up and sort out of the house, with boc on shuffle (something I *never* do).

Nlogax came on at one point, in the middle of a mix - and I think that's it's strength; when part of a mix. Many boc tunes can be taken as standalone little modules of genius, I think ('Constants are changing' / 'Atanochron' being immediate cases in point, in my mind). But Nlogax, as well as June 9th, XYZ and some of their heavier (often earlier) tunes lend themselves towards being in a mix.

That's my 2cents on Nlogax, anyhow.

(and no hard feelings to those w/ the controversial view that they are not into it!)

~Snufdawg

Sherbet Head
zeoevil wrote:The best remix of their music is Last Walk.

this one is particularly controversial seeing as the song was originally written by boom bip
*farts*

idk

Friendly Stranger
Tomnz11 wrote:Trans Canada Highway is forgettable. Apart from Left Side Drive, i couldn't care less about it. I also dont see why they put Dayvan Cowboy there, did we really need another copy?
Nlogax sucks.

Completely agree. Of BoC's more popular songs like Roygbiv, Everything You Do Is a Balloon and Reach for the Dead, I find that Dayvan Cowboy is the only one which is a bit off-putting. I don't dislike it, it just doesn't give me the same satisfaction which the rest of their stuff does. Trans-Canada Highway is their worst release imo, Left Side Drive is much better than the other material on the EP.

zeoevil wrote:Geogaddi is meh. Campfire is amazing. Harvest is very good. Palace Posy is fantastic. Zeotrope is wonderful. The old releases don't exist. Boc Maxima more accurately portrays their music than Music Has the Right. Nlogax is slow but purposeful. The best remix Boards has ever done is Poppy Seed. The best remix of their music is Last Walk. Solange can eat a bag of dicks. I am indifferent to Come to Dust. Rue the Whirl is kind of just there, not good or bad, but it is better than House of Abin'adab. Anything is better than House of Abin'adab. Even Basefree. Cheers.

Most contentious post in this thread. Why do you think Geogaddi is meh? For the fact it is more conceptual than melodic, at least compared to other albums?
Are you of the opinion that BoC lied about having those older releases, perhaps to beef up their discography in their early days? I think they exist but it's possible that a lot of it is unpresentable and not up to Old Tunes standards. Also how do you explain the snippets of duffy, circle and Wouldn't You Like to be Free?
That closing implication that Basefree is not a great track... Maybe not the best on Twoism but I think it's pretty great, although not nearly as good as Chinook (the only track in the same vein it would seem).

My controversial opinions are that I think that there will be a new EP within a year or less. I don't think there will ever be a boxset of early works. I find that the voices in ATP-07 don't really detract from the track, and may even do the opposite. At first I actually thought it was part of the track, just another weird mismatch of chopped up vocals.

Sherbet Head
lewwatt wrote:My controversial opinions are that I think that there will be a new EP within a year or less.

*giggle* >_<

~Snuf

Eagle Minded
that everyone should delete their copies of the material unreleased by the band

for why?

. .

Sherbet Head
seanandcandy wrote:
zeoevil wrote:Last Walk.

My bad. Let me try that again. The best remix Boards has ever done is Last Walk. Solange can still eat a bag of dicks.

lewwatt wrote:
zeoevil wrote:Geogaddi. The old releases. Basefree.

I don't find Geogaddi to be a generally enjoyable experience beyond Music is Math, Alpha and Omega, 1969, and Diving Station. The rest of the songs on Geogaddi are just average songs to me. Neither good or bad. Just sort of there.

Those snippets are from real songs. That doesn't prove a thing. The fact that they pulled the old releases from their discography after everyone started asking questions is very telling to me. Twenty years ago, you could say you have twenty albums and nobody would be the wiser. Today, if you try that someone will point out that you don't, in fact, have twenty albums in about five minutes. I'm not saying they are lying, but I will say the extent to which the old releases are actual releases was grossly exaggerated for maximum benefit to everyone involved. I mean really, is an album you whipped up and gave to your mates really an album? Did anyone buy it? Did anyone besides Scaruffi review it? On this point, by no means am I saying I am right, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Basefree. What can I say about Basefree? "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong." I don't dislike it, but it really doesn't fit anywhere but along side songs like Chinook, Red Moss, and Whitewater. In fact, if they put out an extended play with those and other similar songs on it, that would be golden.

Dayvan Cowboy
Let's not tell anyone about our tapes with 30-35 tracks, but we'll make up some grand story and fake cover art for these other tapes that are mostly 5-10 tracks each...it doesn't add up really, but the question will probably never be decided (maybe zeoevil will antagonize them into finally giving up the goods...as if!)

but what constitutes a release is a good point. If I had a talented friend and they gave me a tape (or CD, or thumb drive, or weblink in 2014) of the quality of the music found on R35TT, I would cherish it and appreciate it (and not share it, if that was the creators wishes). Just because say, only 50 or 100 people get to hear it doesn't mean it loses any validity or is any less real.

It took eight years to put TH together. These are people who are incredibly rigid about their quality control. I look at it as their training wheels. MHTRTC wasn't a mistake or a fluke, that album is the sound of someone arriving fully formed and confident that had a large pool of potential material to draw from, because they took a long time to cut their teeth before they shared their music with the world at large.

Someday this music will probably pay for their children's college tuition, until then, we can argue about its existence on the internet. ;)

Sherbet Head
well, i feel like most of you are very cool and unique people. which is the reason i continue to post on this forum, and share ideas.

but there is def. a few people who completely ruin it for the rest of us. just watching how impatient people were getting before tomorrow's harvest came out, was kind of an eyesoar on the forums.

threads like, "Petition for a Happy BOC Album". thats the kind of stuff that just turns my stomach. lol. if you want a happy album go listen to maroon 5 or taylor swift.

Eagle Minded
:?:
Last edited by d e n on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
'Tomorrow's Harvest' is their best album and 'Everything You Do is a Balloon' is a massively overrated track with uninspired percussion (great intro/outro though).
My debut Sweguno EP 'Adapteras' is available here: https://atavisticspasmrecords.bandcamp. ... apteras-ep

Dayvan Cowboy
Fireal420 wrote:

threads like, "Petition for a Happy BOC Album". thats the kind of stuff that just turns my stomach. lol. if you want a happy album go listen to maroon 5 or taylor swift.

Well that's internet, so we all makes posts we want, but yeah, a petition c'mon?! :D not because this is horrible idea, but just I think we all have more important things to do!

Posts Quantity
Tomorrow's Harvest was lame save for Cold Earth and Palace Posy, and the fanbase is incredibly pretentious.

Sherbet Head
Dudeman162 wrote:and the fanbase is incredibly pretentious.

When it comes to Warp artists...I don't know why, but even WATMM would drink Richard's semen instead of milk if they could, even if they won't admit it

Friendly Stranger
Najlepsiejszy wrote:When it comes to Warp artists...I don't know why, but even WATMM would drink Richard's semen instead of milk if they could, even if they won't admit it

I would like some milk from Richard's- wait, no no no..

Sherbet Head
How's this for controversy:

Mike > Marcus

~Snuf

Sherbet Head
OR...

Mike + Markus - Christ = boc

^^that's probably the formula they used post-Twoism.

[and totally non-controversial]

~Snuf

Sherbet Head
Snufkin wrote:How's this for controversy:

Mike > Marcus

~Snuf

Marcus doesn't look like a hippie, therefore Marcus>Mike

Sherbet Head
Najlepsiejszy wrote:
Snufkin wrote:How's this for controversy:

Mike > Marcus

~Snuf

Marcus doesn't look like a hippie, therefore Marcus>Mike

Yeah but:

a) who would win in a fight?

+

b) who would you rather?

Mike

Eagle Minded
arvy wrote:
Fireal420 wrote:

Well that's internet, so we all makes posts we want, but yeah, a petition c'mon?! :D not because this is horrible idea, but just I think we all have more important things to do!

lol I assumed it was a joke, tongue-in-cheek thing, it's such a banal suggestion it can't be serious. I hope :D
We had a dream last night. We had the same dream.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada