Your controversial BoC opinions.

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Last time my friend took it, it was so bad, he was glad to make it back. The dude was basically holding his pee, because he was "surrounded" by strange people, watching him. At one point he reached a creature with long fingers, it laughed at him. It was reading his mind "what should we do with this human?" The scariest thing, that time is almost non existent then and it is not possible to sleep it off.

It can bee so weird, you wish you be normal again.

Dayvan Cowboy
Societas X Tape was a disappointment but it served a good purpose: so we would all buy and rip copies of their favorite music, most of which is vinyl and cassette only and spread it throughout the internet. I own a bunch of it now and I'm sure several BOCdudes do too.

However, I really wish there was a message or something in it that told us something was coming and when :) though I guess there was always "give it a bit longer" ;)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Societas X Tape was a disappointment but it served a good purpose: so we would all buy and rip copies of their favorite music, most of which is vinyl and cassette only and spread it throughout the internet. I own a bunch of it now and I'm sure several BOCdudes do too.

However, I really wish there was a message or something in it that told us something was coming and when :) though I guess there was always "give it a bit longer" ;)

I must admit, I was let down by Societas X at first.

Pre-broadcast, I assumed/hoped it would be 2 hours of unreleased BoC, so imagine my horror upon discovering it was simply a mixtape comprised of other artists' work. I kept listening out for a message/sign/announcement, but nope, it was purely a standalone mixtape.

However, once I got over the initial disappointment, I really began to appreciate it for what it was, devoid of any wild expectations. It truly is a magnificent mix - one that's up there with some of The Avalanches' legendary sets, in my opinion.

Perhaps if Warp marketed it as a mixtape beforehand, I'd have approached it with a better mindset, but I can totally understand why they kept quiet. After all, the prospect of new/unreleased Boards of Canada is definitely a good way to drive the punters in!

Posts Quantity
Trans Canada Highway is a really good album and severely underrated. It serves as the transition between The Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow's Harvest and does it perfectly. If you want to introduce someone to BoC, it's Trans Canada Highway. I got introduced with this EP and got hooked instantly. The Odd Nosdam remix is extremely good and underrated, too (though it probably should have been on the Dayvan Cowboy DVD).
Fly!

Posts Quantity
Location: In your unconscious mind, but more precisely in France
sandrail wrote:Trans Canada Highway is a really good album and severely underrated. It serves as the transition between The Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow's Harvest and does it perfectly. If you want to introduce someone to BoC, it's Trans Canada Highway. I got introduced with this EP and got hooked instantly. The Odd Nosdam remix is extremely good and underrated, too (though it probably should have been on the Dayvan Cowboy DVD).

Never saw it as transitional, but regarding this EP, I think that Dayvan Cowboy kinda steals all the fame and that the next three tracks (which are almost as good as DC) are overshadowed by it. Under the Coke Sign is ok, while Odd's remix is also a good track, though not as much as the original.

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:- Julie and Candy from Geogaddi is an overproduced track. It all sounds very cluttered and confused to me.
Sometimes, I wish the underlying melody was the basis for an interlude and not a fully fleshed out 4-minuter.
disagree with the first point, but agree with the second. I love the chaotic sound of it, but all of the bits that make it up could sound beautiful individualy.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Dayvan Cowboy
rodox_head wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:- Julie and Candy from Geogaddi is an overproduced track. It all sounds very cluttered and confused to me.
Sometimes, I wish the underlying melody was the basis for an interlude and not a fully fleshed out 4-minuter.

disagree with the first point, but agree with the second. I love the chaotic sound of it, but all of the bits that make it up could sound beautiful individualy.

Actually thinking about it, the AtlantaFugiens soundboard version probably shows how many layers were used in the track.
So I suppose if they wanted it to be a 30-second interlude, they wouldn't be short on samples to make it work that way.

Friendly Stranger
Geogandhi wrote:I HATE drugs

???

Boqurant
Controversial opinion?

Maybe this was stated by someone else earlier in the thread, I don't believe the early albums even exist. I believe what we hear on Old Tunes, Random 35 Track Tape, Boc Maxima and Twoism are it. BOC have stated themselves they started recording under the moniker in 94' and all evidence, even by others who claimed to have gone to school with them in Cullen, points to them being in other bands prior to that.

I don't know what motivation they or anybody else would have had to post the information to the EHX website back in the 90's other than it very VERY successfully created a spectacle 20+ years in the making and did a fantastic job creating an enigmatic air around an already enigmatic artist. It was probably done for the same reason that RDJ claims he won a contest in the early 80's making noise on a Sinclair ZX81 when it now has been proven it was clearly another bloke.

I think the band knew about the very real demand for their album Twoism before the 2002 repress and maybe posted it either as a joke and just to see where it may have lead.

I do believe there is a wealth of early material and otherwise (eg all the other tracks that didn't make the cut on Geogaddi) that has never seen the light of day and I believe 'Wouldn't You Like to be Free', 'Duffy' and 'Circle' are snippets of other unreleased BOC recordings from before they were famous.

Two quotes come to mind here. "No man is an Island" by John Donne & "Two people can only keep a secret if one of them is dead" by Mark Twain. There is just no way that no other audio snippet, no photo, no small irrefutable evidence of any kind has come out in more than twenty years despite an overwhelming demand for even the slightest clue among the fanbase.

It is one of those things where it is more fun to buy into and love overwhelms logic, once upon a time even for me, for a while actually.

Dayvan Cowboy
@In Technicolor
This is what I've believed for the past decade.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

New Seed
I think the Societas mixtape, as an overall music experience, is fully on par with the rest of the official records in the Boards of Canada catalog.

Happy Cycler
They are actually one horse in a two-person disguise.

Sherbet Head
199free wrote:I think the Societas mixtape, as an overall music experience, is fully on par with the rest of the official records in the Boards of Canada catalog.

I just hope you're attributing the credit to the featured artists and not BoC. If so then this is really healthy as it's nice to hear fans acknowledge the level of other artists being as credible as the idolised artist.
Societas is a mixtape of work by lots of talented folk, it was mearly collated (albeit nicely) by BoC.
You could feel the bullshit

Geogandhi wrote:
199free wrote:I think the Societas mixtape, as an overall music experience, is fully on par with the rest of the official records in the Boards of Canada catalog.

Societas is a mixtape of work by lots of talented folk, it was mearly collated (albeit nicely) by BoC.

What? Grace Jones is not BoC? :shock:

New Seed
Fredd-E wrote:
Geogandhi wrote:

What? Grace Jones is not BoC? :shock:

haha yeah i didn’t think boards of canada made all that music. That’s why I said ‘as an overall music experience’.

New Seed
also as a quick aside, good to see this board still up and running. I was a member from back in 2004, (old user name was silo flame). I just remembered it after all these years and decided to see what was up!

Dayvan Cowboy
199free wrote:also as a quick aside, good to see this board still up and running. I was a member from back in 2004, (old user name was silo flame). I just remembered it after all these years and decided to see what was up!

Welcome back! Hope the future will be bright soon.

Ironically when I wasnt too into TH last decade, I thought Societas was actually better than it, melodic content wise. Now I've changed my tune because TH aged like fine wine and is more relevant today than it was back then.

Also yeah I shouldn't compare Societas and TH since they're different artists but I'm only comparing music quality and the fact that BOC was responsible for both

Dayvan Cowboy
Controversial opinion: I don't need the BOCset that badly. I have old tunes which were compiled and currated by BOC themselves. Those are filled with both silliness and lost gems. Perhaps the reason we didn't get any early tapes at Warp30 was because they were already out there.

I'd rather hear what BOC have to tell me nowadays since 2013. I don't believe a Geogaddi outtake could comfort me in these weird times as much as hearing a fresh BOC composition.

Eagle Minded
I think we've been getting that BOCset via VHS tape, Missing Tracks, etc.

I'm ready for the absolute mega-vinyl release. A twelve disc box set of new material, like some sort of twisted opera. Or like one of those old 'cocktail party' vinyl packs every single grandmother had with her home turntable, the big ones, the console units that weighed 1200lbs.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Sherbet Head
Controversial opinion: incessant posting about BoC does not will new BoC music into existence. Actually, this isn't an opinion. It's a fact.

Another True Fact: posting about BoC neither accelerates nor decelerates the rate at which BoC releases music.

Also true: it's okay if twoism lies fallow for a long period of time, provided it's still around when something actually does happen.

I love you.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada