GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded

This is intriguing. Did we ever get info from Serafinowicz who produced this? I can't see these being anything other than BoC, Only if they took these from old library records. These definitely sound like real deal, not some impersonator.

Sherbet Head
Fuck off man, you serious? So BoC are the only people that can use a synthesiser and record it to tape? This is a practice that everyone did in the 70s and 80s and even 90s. You had synthesisers and you had tape to record it on, that's it. By your logic, anyone that bought a synth ever just looked at it in wonder not knowing what this magic was and how the hell would they even capture the sound? "i'm going to have to wait until the future to understand this alien technology, some genius will eventually show us how to harness this magic"

The sounds in 70s/80s TV became very synthesised and anyone could use synths to high levels and to be honest, these sounds are so basic on such simple synthesisers that even synth novices could have come up with them. Buy one for yourself, write a little ditty and record it to tape, BOOM, you are BoC.
There are thousands of people on tap in the TV/music industry that could have done those soundbites, tunes etc and you'll never know who they are. Could even be Matt Berry, he's a keen synthesist.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Sure, but there is something about these. Someone went a long way to make them sound old and not fake. Though I remember hearing one of those before as a Hell Interface fake.

Sherbet Head
Look around you was done very well, they really tried to make it feel of the time. So what did they do? They used the same technology that was used back then, resulting in the same sounds, it's ludicrously simple. They wouldn't have gone straight to the computer and fired up some plugins and thought "right, how do I make these clean sounds sound old" That's a stupid way of going about something that needs to be successful.
Because the tools you personally have now at your disposal don't make those sounds and it's actually hard to get them with what you have you put too much credence on those sounds, making them seem unobtainium. These sounds are basic, these sounds are what anyone who bought a synthesiser and a tape recorder would have come up with. They have no hallmarks of BoC whatsoever, BoC have the Hallmarks (in their early work) of these simple sounds that everyone was achieving at the time, that's the point of BoCs early ethos, they were copying everyday sounds not going back in time and laying the foundation for their genius.

Posts Quantity
Look around you is great. According to wikipedia the music in the first music was done by themselves. But who knows, there might be a 'Little Mouse' remix by BoC floating around somewhere.

The colour and overall look of the film was purposely altered to replicate 1980s television for schools, and passably authentic incidental music written by Serafinowicz and Popper under the pseudonym "Gelg" was overdubbed to complete the parody of the original programmes.

Dayvan Cowboy
I've been thinking, maybe that Polygon Window reissue is only for Japan. I don't see it being promoted on any western Warp site. If so, after 11/20, we're all clear for more music announcements :D

I also figured out according to Bleep that the official release date of IABPOITC is 11/27/2000.

Maybe a tiny reason to be hopeful? :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
koroviev wrote:Look around you is great. According to wikipedia the music in the first music was done by themselves. But who knows, there might be a 'Little Mouse' remix by BoC floating around somewhere.

The colour and overall look of the film was purposely altered to replicate 1980s television for schools, and passably authentic incidental music written by Serafinowicz and Popper under the pseudonym "Gelg" was overdubbed to complete the parody of the original programmes.

It's also mentioned on the directors commentary that they did all the music even including the acoustic guitar stuff that plays over the "Schools and Colleges" countdown, which was actually Robert Popper playing.

Eagle Minded
A bit after the whole 70's synth/educational thing. But any UK school kid from the late 80's that twagged school will certainly know this...

https://youtu.be/xeRetHcktXM

I remember having days off school and then wishing that you'd gone because there was absolutely nothing on telly. Neighbours at 13:30 or home and away had their first showings and then again at around 17:35. Whenever I hear this music I am 8 years old again. Man, the internet. I'm sure glad we didn't have it back then.

Dayvan Cowboy
Spacex launch tonight. Kind of timely that BOC put space in our psyches regardless if their new album is about that or not.

Be funny if they gave them the new BOC album to broadcast down from space on Jan 22nd :wink:

Dayvan Cowboy
Societas X Tape

A Ties To Spacex ;)

Eagle Minded
ngl, I'll be a little disappointed if their next album doesn't turn out to be space themed in some way....

Although I'm sure that my slight disappointment will be completely masked by the fact that there even is a new BoC album though

Eagle Minded
has anyone mentioned that if the January date is correct, that it could definitely mean it would be BoC’s last transmission...? because isn’t the basis for the January theory that it was Pioneers last transmission? sorry if someone has mentioned this before!
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
Actually even weirder, I found an anagram for Societas that might not be a joke.

You can change "Societas X Tape" to "A Site to Spacex"

Makes me think that there might be some weird conspiracy website about Spacex/Elon Musk hidden somewhere on the net. Another "Newcleardawn.com" perhaps?

New Seed
"Societas X Tape" really does sound like an anagram, like "Look Sad Reel".
It could also be decoded as "A space to exist", "Escape to exist", "A static expose", "Toxic seas tape"...
Those don't make much sense though. Could also be the name of a place.

Posts Quantity
Roswell wrote:has anyone mentioned that if the January date is correct, that it could definitely mean it would be BoC’s last transmission...? because isn’t the basis for the January theory that it was Pioneers last transmission? sorry if someone has mentioned this before!

They're getting older y'know, it very well may be their last transmission. Keep in mind Mike is 50 and Marcus is 49. They're not 23 and making records like old tunes anymore.

Then again I could be a dumbass and they really could be making music till they die.
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Sherbet Head
It's totally feasable that they think that the project (boards of canada) has run out of legs. They might have changed as people, music tastes, outlook on life, that it would be harder work to maintain the BoC theme they built, and would they even want to if it's not where their heart is anymore.
If they really have music in their blood, which I think they do then they'll just put their energy into another project but it might be wildly different than what we know, or they might be into totally new past times that they want to explore outside of music?

You have to end projects in their peak or at least when you start to become aware that there is a possibilty of a downturn in quality or personal interest in it, in order to maintain the legacy.
We all know of bands who we loved at their peak and they ruin it by plodding on and creating weak versions of themselves. I think BoC are self aware enough to know that the BoC legacy is way more important than them maintaining income or work. It's evident that this is not important to them otherwise they wouldn't be so elusive.

Good on them if there is any truth in this but remember, this a wild string of theories built up by yourselves with no solid basis. We can join dots and find really interesting links and coincidences in anything we see if we try hard enough but don't cement you train of thoughts into truth otherwise you'll be disappointed. But as I have always said, knock yourselves out, it's fun as hell and really interetsing to do, it's healthy if you keep it in context.

Posts Quantity
sillik7 wrote:"Societas X Tape" really does sound like an anagram, like "Look Sad Reel".
It could also be decoded as "A space to exist", "Escape to exist", "A static expose", "Toxic seas tape"...
Those don't make much sense though. Could also be the name of a place.

I think I'll stay with "Scotia Sex Tape".
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Friendly Stranger
The lads from Underworld are almost able to draw a state pension and are still producing music!

Zephyr Method wrote:
Roswell wrote:has anyone mentioned that if the January date is correct, that it could definitely mean it would be BoC’s last transmission...? because isn’t the basis for the January theory that it was Pioneers last transmission? sorry if someone has mentioned this before!

They're getting older y'know, it very well may be their last transmission. Keep in mind Mike is 50 and Marcus is 49. They're not 23 and making records like old tunes anymore.

Then again I could be a dumbass and they really could be making music till they die.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm totally down with this being their last album and goodbye statement...and I'm saying that as a mega-fan. It's really hard for me to find a band with such a perfectly calculated (in an artistic sense) catalog as BOC. Every album, every song, even every song title has a purpose and fits into a larger puzzle. If BOC just haphazardly threw stuff on the market, sure they'd be displaying their genius more often, but then you'd get a catalog similar to Squarepusher where it's brilliance mixed in with inconsistency.

Again, I say this as a guy who posts way too much on here because he loves the band so much. But if BOC are really going tie the bow with this final album/statement and never release anything again. I would respect that completely.

That said, we have yet to see if that's true or not. It's a good theory, but like Geogandhi said, it's just a theory as of now.

Eagle Minded
I would still hope that they have 2 more albums left in them, 6 sides to a hexagon and all that

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada