GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Prediction:

Feb 26th: Stereolab

Somewhere between: BOC

May 6: Squid

They're simply getting ready for a big drop. :D

Don't hold me to it, but that's what the optimist in me thinks. Really don't want to base anything on numerology anymore, but wasn't the Pioneer's launch date somewhere around this time too?
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Friendly Stranger
I am guessing this is nothing but their allowing for a replacement, but TH was reuploaded a few months ago leaving the old videos as unlisted instead of them just being directly deleted. I am guessing that it was some kind of automatic process because having an unlisted video with a 'content unavailable' means that it wasn't deleted in the normal way, usually a removed unlisted video won't have anything else on the page, not even an 'unlisted' sticker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzw-TvnreoM

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Prediction:

Don't hold me to it, but that's what the optimist in me thinks. Really don't want to base anything on numerology anymore, but wasn't the Pioneer's launch date somewhere around this time too?

*optimism hat on*

March 2nd (Pioneer 10 launch), April 6th (Pioneer 11 launch) and April 27th (Pioneer 10 last telemetry) are all viable dates, probably moreso than the Jan 22nd one because of the Friday thing.

If I had to put my money on one date in particular, it would be March 2nd, as the Pioneer 10 launch is arguably the most significant event of the three.

Maybe this also explains why Warp were gathering new subscribers with the 2020 vinyl bundle comp. Is there something coming up that they wanna shout about?

*optimism hat off*

The use of the Pioneer Plaque may not necessarily be a reference to dates; it could simply hint at the theme of the next release, which may not happen until 2030. Hopefully I'm still around for that :lol:

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:

*optimism hat on*

March 2nd (Pioneer 10 launch), April 6th (Pioneer 11 launch) and April 27th (Pioneer 10 last telemetry) are all viable dates, probably moreso than the Jan 22nd one because of the Friday thing.

If I had to put my money on one date in particular, it would be March 2nd, as the Pioneer 10 launch is arguably the most significant event of the three.

Maybe this also explains why Warp were gathering new subscribers with the 2020 vinyl bundle comp. Is there something coming up that they wanna shout about?

*optimism hat off*

The use of the Pioneer Plaque may not necessarily be a reference to dates; it could simply hint at the theme of the next release, which may not happen until 2030. Hopefully I'm still around for that :lol:

Thanks for listing the dates I was too lazy to bring up, Sherbet Head :D They all fall within Feb 26 and May 6, which is pretty awesome. But, especially nowadays, it's very good to be wary about numerology. I think we all took ourselves for a ride with Jan 22nd haha

That said, even without the dates, the weird gap between releases is very unusual for Warp. I've never seen anything like that in their schedule. Why wait all that time to release Squid?

My optimism hat is always on though. Imagining the day I get buzzed and enjoy some new fresh BOC is worth holding out for!

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:

*optimism hat on*

*optimism hat off*

If we're to go by the reddit guy:

Announcement on February 27th which will coincidence with the new moon. This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the "Snow Moon" because the heaviest snows usually fell during this time of the year. Since hunting is difficult, this moon has also been known by some tribes as the Hunger Moon, since the harsh weather made hunting a challenge.

The album will be released in April, preceded by one song from the album which will be released two weeks prior.

If there's any truth to what he said, then Feb 27 would be the announcement, April 6th would be the first single and April 27th would be the release date.

Total grasping at straws here to assume the guy is actually a leaker from warp and not a troll which is really 5% likely. However, this would be a release window that makes total sense since warp tend to announce releases about a month or two in advance

Dayvan Cowboy
Keep in mind, this Reddit user claimed to know the theme of the album ("leaving Earth to start anew"), the album art, and the length of at least one track, but didn't know the album title or the name of so much as a single track. The information they claimed to have didn't add up at all and they didn't provide any evidence, either.

Putting any stock in what they say is almost certainly just going to end in disappointment.

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Keep in mind, this Reddit user claimed to know the theme of the album ("leaving Earth to start anew"), the album art, and the length of at least one track, but didn't know the album title or the name of so much as a single track. The information they claimed to have didn't add up at all and they didn't provide any evidence, either.

Putting any stock in what they say is almost certainly just going to end in disappointment.

Yeah... I agree. That's why I said grasping at straws. Because really, that's all we got in terms of info: some sketchy "insider" on reddit.

I will defend him in one respect. If he leaked any of that stuff you listed, (especially a title or a track name) I have a good feeling there'd be some serious cutting off from a job or their circle of friends.

I haven't checked the thread again though. Maybe he came out and admitted it was fake

Sherbet Head
Please don't give any credence to that info, based on the title they made up alone, probably the worst album title ever. BoC going from such inventive album titles to something so direct, obvious and poor is roll on the floor laughable.
Have you dates by all means, but anything on Reddit? I think we all learned right?
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:If there's any truth to what he said, then Feb 27 would be the announcement, April 6th would be the first single and April 27th would be the release date.

Total grasping at straws here to assume the guy is actually a leaker from warp and not a troll which is really 5% likely. However, this would be a release window that makes total sense since warp tend to announce releases about a month or two in advance

Well we can immediately render that bogus as announcements and single drops are always Mon-Thu and album releases are always on Fridays.

The only viable date this 'leaker' has provided is the April 6th single drop, as it's a Tuesday and it coincides with the launch of Pioneer 11, but as the other two dates are false we should assume this one is a load of old bollocks too.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Please don't give any credence to that info, based on the title they made up alone, probably the worst album title ever. BoC going from such inventive album titles to something so direct, obvious and poor is roll on the floor laughable.
Have you dates by all means, but anything on Reddit? I think we all learned right?

I don't remember there being a title.

Posts Quantity
Its 12022021 tomorrow, dreaming of a single dropping .. dreaming being the key word

Also as much as I agree that the Reddit post is dubious at best I cant help but fantasise over the prospect of a 20 minute BOC epic to soothe my soul

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:I don't remember there being a title.

Ah yeah, my bad, I totally misread your post, "theme of the album" not title of the album. Thought it was a poor effort for a title, ha.
You could feel the bullshit

Dayvan Cowboy
When I mention this reddit fellow, I do so with a lot of skepticism, hence the disclaimers on the posts.

But, the optimist in me wants to consider all possibilities. So count it as mere speculation from a dubious source.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:When I mention this reddit fellow, I do so with a lot of skepticism, hence the disclaimers on the posts.

But, the optimist in me wants to consider all possibilities. So count it as mere speculation from a dubious source.

I mean, what else do we have to go one but these random speculations at this point?

I can't remember if it was someone here or on reddit that pointed out that something similar happened in regards to someone knowing about both of Autechre's albums last year, months before they were released. Those rumours ended up being true, which gives me pause over this reddit statement.

I guess we'll know in a few days if this person is full of it or not. Otherwise this news joins a long line of people claiming to know something they don't.

This whole thing has me wondering how many fake BOC claims have been made over the years. Besides, last years Catherine fell incident, the earliest I can think of is the Red Moon one from 05
https://bocpages.org/wiki/Red_Moon_incident

Dayvan Cowboy
The Red Moon incident wasn't fake- it was posted on BoC's official website. A group of people from Twoism incorrectly solved the code and went to the wrong location. The correct answer was discovered later.

Also, there have been more false BoC claims than I can count. There was the story that they gave a secret performance at a venue in Australia, there have been no less than half a dozen cutesy fake ARGs, there have been fake tracks released (including "Chameleon"). There was the guy on Reddit claiming to be a Warp insider and saying BoC were behind the metal monoliths showing up around the world. Fake BoC shit is popping up all the time, and that's not even counting the failed predictions.

I will be shocked if the Reddit post turns out to be legitimate in any way.

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:Please don't give any credence to that info, based on the title they made up alone, probably the worst album title ever. BoC going from such inventive album titles to something so direct, obvious and poor is roll on the floor laughable.

Sounds like fun. Releasing music also should be considered a fun thing to do. We should embrace it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Knifeyspooney wrote:
Echelon wrote:When I mention this reddit fellow, I do so with a lot of skepticism, hence the disclaimers on the posts.

I mean, what else do we have to go one but these random speculations at this point?

I can't remember if it was someone here or on reddit that pointed out that something similar happened in regards to someone knowing about both of Autechre's albums last year, months before they were released. Those rumours ended up being true, which gives me pause over this reddit statement.

I guess we'll know in a few days if this person is full of it or not. Otherwise this news joins a long line of people claiming to know something they don't.

Thank you for bringing this up. BOC don't exist in a vacuum and one of their friends was on reddit at one point. Coffee shop owner from edinburgh who said "I drink coffee with one of them every day, your patience may well be rewarded." Very possible there exist people in this world who actually know what BOC are doing.

And I agree. We'll soon know if this is the truth or not. I'm not banking on it, but I always remain hopeful anyway. I still love the idea of a 10+ minute BOC song being on the new album, and I imagine it sounding like a brain on lsd trying to comprehend the infinite vastness of space, perhaps a darker jam like Alpha and Omega. That and the stark black cover with the singular BOC logo. Cool ass ideas.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:If there's any truth to what he said, then Feb 27 would be the announcement, April 6th would be the first single and April 27th would be the release date.

Well we can immediately render that bogus as announcements and single drops are always Mon-Thu and album releases are always on Fridays.

The only viable date this 'leaker' has provided is the April 6th single drop, as it's a Tuesday and it coincides with the launch of Pioneer 11, but as the other two dates are false we should assume this one is a load of old bollocks too.

Here's something weird (or not,) the release date for the Stereolab was pushed forward to 2/25/21, when it used to be 2/26/21. So now it's on thursday rather than friday.

It could mean nothing...or it could mean EVERYTHING :P

Dayvan Cowboy
Hope too, Echelon. They''ll again sHow magical music can be..

Dayvan Cowboy
arvy wrote:Hope too, Echelon. They''ll again sHow magical music can be..

Gotta have something to believe in during the great Warp draught of 2021. Even if it's some rando on reddit with some fun fanfiction. 8)

But seriously, I've got a feeling they'll release something before May. If you look at their old release schedule, they used to put something out every four weeks, with singles coming out between that.

Could it be they're preparing for their biggest release in years? I think one of the neatest things about the Syro album by Aphex was it showed us exactly how much was spent on a Warp release by a major artist.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada