GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Looking closer again the man in the picture has the Op-z to his right of where the hexagon on the hell interface baner is.

The devil is in the details

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:I have just been sent a link to a reddit post saying I should be banned for the CFell stuff, fucking lol!

Seriously, how fucking entitled do some kooks have to be to feel this way? I kinda wish I didn't fess up and carry on playing with the deaf as fuck plebs.

I'm joking obviously but come on, get a fucking grip.

Unless there is something concrete or secret promotion that costs money to do then it's not BoC, everything else is dreamt up by us, and that's fine, it gets us through the drought and it's fun.

Anyone that has a problem, i'm here, PM me.

I will be completely honest with you, Geoghandi. I think your behavior may have flushed them out from hiding, because right after the Fell saga, they uploaded the banner, probably to prove all the fakes wrong!

So honestly, I think that was a great move haha :D No hatred for you

Edit: You should have kept it up longer and maybe they'd release a new track early to prove you wrong :lol:
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
demo wrote:Looks like we have a new Clark album being released in March.

https://www.discotecalaziale.com/002894 ... lake-clark

Nevermind, Clark is no longer on Warp, so March is still wide open

Posts Quantity
Geogandhi wrote:I have just been sent a link to a reddit post saying I should be banned for the CFell stuff, fucking lol!

Seriously, how fucking entitled do some kooks have to be to feel this way? I kinda wish I didn't fess up and carry on playing with the deaf as fuck plebs.

I'm joking obviously but come on, get a fucking grip.

Unless there is something concrete or secret promotion that costs money to do then it's not BoC, everything else is dreamt up by us, and that's fine, it gets us through the drought and it's fun.

Anyone that has a problem, i'm here, PM me.
No hate from me, Geo.

I thought what you did was cool as fuck and you took me on a very interesting ride! I appreciate what you did which personally reinvigorated a passion for finding new and unknown music!

It also brought out a few eurorack addicts in Twoism and reinforced my desire to acquire a MD - gotta keep the Digitakt though!

I remember you posting that it has been a hard time personally for you the past few months - I hope everything bounces back for you and I hope all is well for you in 2021. Keep making music!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayvan Cowboy
nemophilist wrote:Nope. While I do make my own music I'm much too anxious and self conscious to share it with yall. I can't blame you for thinking that though. I just don't like loose ends and its obvious this person has been with us since at least the Catherine Fell hoax. They continue to play off the clues that we seem to find which is at best interesting and at worst a pretty crappy attempt at riding coattails.
Whoever they are, they keep popping up at the most opportune times.

Sure.

Regardless, though, I'm gonna be honest -- I have absolutely zero interest in Prohibited Broadcasting or any of the other cutesy ARG stuff riding on the hype of BoC fans. The music might be amazing and I'd never know because it seems such an obvious gimmick and it turns me off completely.

I realize it's hard for artists to get attention. I know that feeling myself. But I think that the only way having an audience is actually meaningful is if you have something original to say.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh here. I'm just tired of seeing this obviously unrelated, blatantly attention-grabbing faux ARG stuff pop up constantly. It couldn't be more obvious that it has nothing to do with Boards. It gets old.

As BoC posted on the Chameleon video, "diet coke green screen failure."

Dayvan Cowboy
Also, this isn't a dig at Geogandhi, he's very open about making fakes and hoaxes, etc. When the jig was up he admitted to it and it was in good fun.

I'm talking more about the million other channels uploading "mysterious" videos and then posting comments here like "hey everyone did you see this thing that's totally not me? wow I wonder what's going on" :roll:

Friendly Stranger
Autocode wrote:
boredsofcanada wrote:I've seen the blue dot appear next to the AtalantaFugiens channel at least 3 times in a week.

Blue dot?...........Carl Sagan did a show about Earth called "A Pale Blue Dot". Carl Sagan also helped design the Pioneer plaque......Interesting

lmao they've just been uploading unlisted/private videos for the past week

Sherbet Head
Haha, sorry, I wasn't fishing for backup for my post but I do appreciate it Echelon and Knid, thanks for your concern too *knucks*

I agree Samurai. You just cannot use fakes and hoax's for personal gain, they just don't come off like that, it has the opposite affect.
It can be fine if you're obvious and up front about your ode to the artist like that cult40 something and other artists. Good music is good music but trying to springboard your own art off the back of others is bad form and you'll never get the kudos you require.

It is a shame that people do not have the time for music outside of their chosen loves, we're all culprits. We just need something to be legitimised in some way by some entity we respect in order for us to even take notice. But if we listened to everything we see, we'd never have time to do anything else and we'd be wasting our time wading through lots of mediocre whatever.
You could feel the bullshit

Posts Quantity

There does seem to be a recent increase in people announcing 'discoveries' which are clearly not BOC and it's difficult not to summise that it's the poster's own work. Each to their own I guess, but it is somewhat bizarre behaviour.

Slow down...

Eagle Minded
Mexicola wrote:There does seem to be a recent increase in people announcing 'discoveries' which are clearly not BOC and it's difficult not to summise that it's the poster's own work. Each to their own I guess, but it is somewhat bizarre behaviour.

Bloody kids with their degradation plugins, in my day...

Friendly Stranger
I feel there are two primary reasons people would make fakes, and this is just personal observation and opinion

The first is literally for a laugh and to see how far something like that can go having come from your own hands, there is a sense of reward in that domino effect, having an effect on a lot of people's lives, if you are the one to have created it

The second and far more usual culprit is a sense of validation in one's own work. If you have a lot of respect for Boards of Canada, then having some of your work mistaken for theirs must honestly be a really validating feeling as a musician

It is all a bit of a waste of time, though

Friendly Stranger
realspiel wrote:

Aye, back when we would have to kick the shit out of a tape player if we wanted to create a BoC fake

AND THAT'S IF WE WERE LUCKY

I knew a boy who literally had to etch his recording, by hand, into a piece of vinyl he found lying around the scrapyard, and he was grateful for it.

Dayvan Cowboy
HUMO: "Your songs always sounded a bit vintage, as if they've been lying around an old factory for a long time. Nowadays you can create that effect easily with musical technology. You always seem to make beautiful nostalgic moving Super 8-movies but the Instagram generation is catching up"

"Eoin: "It's not something you do by simply pressing a button... Instagram is very nowadays, it's a trend and only has a connection with the past if you actually know that past: for young kids it's something modern. All those image and sound manipulations are extremely artificial, and they're being used very randomly. You can't just apply them onto anything and expect emotional depth.""

Old man Marcus on the matter :P

Dayvan Cowboy
When I read this thread I'm always reminded of this passage from a TCH-era interview.

For better or worse, the Boards' 'secrecy' has endowed them with enigmatic status; the relative media silence has opened a space in which fans can speculate, mythmake, invent and interpret to their hearts' content -- much of which happens in chatrooms and message boards, thankfully well out of harm's way. But the pair certainly monitor these discussions and while they don't take part in them, they do seem somewhat confounded by the kind of rumours that have got out. As Eoin says, "if there's no apparent facts or information about you, then what happens is stuff just floods in to fill that gap, and very often it's basically a flood of bullshit that fills in your silhouette. And we've really suffered from that."

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Protect_and_Survive_(interview)

Sherbet Head
ryetronics wrote:When I read this thread I'm always reminded of this passage from a TCH-era interview.

For better or worse, the Boards' 'secrecy' has endowed them with enigmatic status; the relative media silence has opened a space in which fans can speculate, mythmake, invent and interpret to their hearts' content -- much of which happens in chatrooms and message boards, thankfully well out of harm's way. But the pair certainly monitor these discussions and while they don't take part in them, they do seem somewhat confounded by the kind of rumours that have got out. As Eoin says, "if there's no apparent facts or information about you, then what happens is stuff just floods in to fill that gap, and very often it's basically a flood of bullshit that fills in your silhouette. And we've really suffered from that."

love it dude, great reminder....

darekH wrote:
realspiel wrote:

Aye, back when we would have to kick the shit out of a tape player if we wanted to create a BoC fake

AND THAT'S IF WE WERE LUCKY

I knew a boy who literally had to etch his recording, by hand, into a piece of vinyl he found lying around the scrapyard, and he was grateful for it.

22 of us living in't shoebox in middle t'road.
;-)

I'm a grumpy old bastard, I know.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
ryetronics wrote:When I read this thread I'm always reminded of this passage from a TCH-era interview.

Splendid haha
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Dayvan Cowboy

I still think the fact that they read or have people read these forums, is probably why we got the pioneer's plaque. Simply a theory, but I feel it was a "may the real BOC please stand up" moment.

That said, they probably still had a lot of work to do on their project so it was simply to do something none of the fakes could do to prove that they're still alive and working.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada