GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
The new album will come in the form of a meteorite that wipes out humanity

Dayvan Cowboy
SamuraiDrifter wrote:This is exactly why I'm always going on about how BOC have never really used numerology for their release dates and generally shooting down predictions like the Jan 22 one. Everyone says "it's just fun speculation," but it's more than that- inevitably when the dates come and go there are always people who get angry, sad, or who go full doomer and say "BOC are never releasing anything else!!!"

Do not get too attached to these speculated dates. Take them with a grain of salt. As far as I'm concerned, the most likely scenario has always been that they release something on a seemingly random date with no other significance.

What happened that inspired this post?
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Posts Quantity
People willing to put $100 bucks on totally speculative dates, for instance.

Dayvan Cowboy
That's definitely one thing, and people dooming on Reddit, and arvy posting "farewell fire bro" both here and also in a dooming thread on Reddit.

I literally read someone say "now that the Pioneer Plaque date has come and gone I don't think a new album is coming" or some similar nonsense. As I guessed would happen, fans are latching on to these totally speculative dates and thinking if they don't pan out, there is no new album.

Eagle Minded
I will say that, even though it was just a few days prior to Jan 22nd, the pale blue dot was something neat that happened.

I've been thinking even more about it and I'm almost convinced that's the message they where trying to get across, Carl Sagan was the brainchild for the pioneer plaque and was also the man behind the famous "pale blue dot" speech from Cosmos.

If we get another Carl Sagan hint in the future I'll be convinced that the pale blue dot was the message BoC where trying to get across.

If we have hexagon sun, why can't we have hexagon stars?

Dayvan Cowboy
Well guys, the wait's over: ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎21

New Squid! XD

A long time from now too so maybe they're setting up a Squidtransmission site and having listening parties under the sea.

Boqurant
demo wrote:I will say that, even though it was just a few days prior to Jan 22nd, the pale blue dot was something neat that happened.

I've been thinking even more about it and I'm almost convinced that's the message they where trying to get across, Carl Sagan was the brainchild for the pioneer plaque and was also the man behind the famous "pale blue dot" speech from Cosmos.

I don't know if I buy that, that's quite a far-fetched and really specific theory. I doubt they would do that with the intention of us catching what is, ultimately, just a random feature. I don't think the notification dot has anything to do with Carl Sagan...

Eagle Minded
NorthernPlastics wrote:
demo wrote:I will say that, even though it was just a few days prior to Jan 22nd, the pale blue dot was something neat that happened.

I don't know if I buy that, that's quite a far-fetched and really specific theory. I doubt they would do that with the intention of us catching what is, ultimately, just a random feature. I don't think the notification dot has anything to do with Carl Sagan...

Maybe not... But if we do get another Carl Sagan reference I'll be more convinced, the possibility is there.

I promise I'm not high.

Echelon wrote:Well guys, the wait's over: ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎21

New Squid! XD

A long time from now too so maybe they're setting up a Squidtransmission site and having listening parties under the sea.
Warp finally broke silence indeed! All hail our new aquatic overlord!

Sherbet Head

If we get another Carl Sagan hint in the future I'll be convinced that the pale blue dot was the message BoC where trying to get across.

If we have hexagon sun, why can't we have hexagon stars?

Wow

Posts Quantity
Totally out of the loop I guess, because I have no clue who Squid is.

Dayvan Cowboy
Squid is actually pretty good. They're a fairly new experimental/post-punk band.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hey, anynone remember that one guy a few days ago? who which basically said, that if he was BOC and saw this thread, he would make us wait even longer. I guess, we have all the power now, to make boc never release their music....
Farewell fire, bro's

Posts Quantity
Cyclosa wrote:People willing to put $100 bucks on totally speculative dates, for instance.

You can’t be serious. I was obviously bluffing, knowing you wouldn’t take the bet. But let’s double down—69 oranges they release an album in 2021?

Eagle Minded
I raise you one god with horns

Boqurant
Few fans are as eager to read the tea leaves like BOC fans.

Marcus and Michael clearly have a wicked sense of humour and love taking the piss.

Dayvan Cowboy
Knifeyspooney wrote:Few fans are as eager to read the tea leaves like BOC fans.

Marcus and Michael clearly have a wicked sense of humour and love taking the piss.

Very curious if they actually know that we've been trying to predict their album since October 2020 now. I remember when the supposed Mike Sandison posted the Joni Mitchell song and it had the line, "They can never come close, guesses at most." Fake or not, that's pretty damn accurate imo

That said, I don't think they would push the new project back out of spite because people are speculating. That's as much a conspiracy theory as thinking that it's cancelled because it didn't show up on Jan 22nd. Really don't think they're spiteful people, especially because they're signed to a professional record company.

Friendly Stranger
Navaru wrote:I raise you one god with horns
I’ll see your bet and raise you one million children and a million dogs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
It is difficult to remember that BOC is never truly speaking directly to the fanbase with comments made in interviews, and likely more difficult to understand that BOC are not capable of responding to speculation made after the fact.
Frustration is understood but it must be considered that communication between artist and fans is one-directional. The music is all there really ever is. It's the only intention.
It might be a better idea to think of things in terms of record companies and marketing when digging rabbit holes.

That being said, the Space concept seems to have developed itself through forums, and there is little else to support it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Very curious if they actually know that we've been trying to predict their album since October 2020 now. I remember when the supposed Mike Sandison posted the Joni Mitchell song and it had the line, "They can never come close, guesses at most." Fake or not, that's pretty damn accurate imo

That said, I don't think they would push the new project back out of spite because people are speculating. That's as much a conspiracy theory as thinking that it's cancelled because it didn't show up on Jan 22nd. Really don't think they're spiteful people, especially because they're signed to a professional record company.

Exactly. The idea that they're delaying an album release to spite overeager fans is just straight-up ridiculous. As is the idea that their career is over and their social media hints at new material is just some Warp Records employee pointlessly stringing fans along.

New music will come out when it's ready. That's pretty much all there is to it.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada