GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
To continue on with our plot line about space we’ve been writing over the last few months, NASA sent a rover named Perseverance back in July bound for Mars to look for signs of life. It will land in 22 days.

Dayvan Cowboy
If I'm to get anyone's hopes up about anything. The Squid release is in May. Surely, there will be something besides that and the Stereolab collection in February, March and April.

Though if there's anything to be learned from Jan 22nd, it's that nothing can be predicted and until something finally happens in the BOC camp, we probably won't know anything. But then again, won't that make the actual surprise all the greater? :)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:If I'm to get anyone's hopes up about anything. The Squid release is in May. Surely, there will be something besides that and the Stereolab collection in February, March and April.

Though if there's anything to be learned from Jan 22nd, it's that nothing can be predicted and until something finally happens in the BOC camp, we probably won't know anything. But then again, won't that make the actual surprise all the greater? :)

Wow, I've never known Warp to announce an album so far in advance. That's a 14 week wait, over the usual 6.

Perhaps none of their artists are ready to turn in a new release, so they've needed to spread the word about this one to keep things ticking over. It'd also explain why things have been very quiet recently.

Whatever, I'm just speculating. Isn't that the purpose of the thread? :P

Anyway, that Squid tune is pretty good! Quite surprised to hear Warp putting out some clean sounding post-punk.

Eagle Minded
They liked a tweet about Tomorrows Harvest from 2013 recently, first movement in a bit from em’.

Posts Quantity
Nice catch! I had stopped checking their likes. And the tweet was literally from the week TH came out. Considering all the recent likes this year were from recent tweets, this is something different!

Boqurant
Navaru wrote:They liked a tweet about Tomorrows Harvest from 2013 recently, first movement in a bit from em’.

It also happens to be a tweet by Steven Wilson, who has a new album coming out tomorrow. Maybe they're fans haha

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Wow, I've never known Warp to announce an album so far in advance. That's a 14 week wait, over the usual 6.

Best case scenario, maybe they're pushing it back so they can drop something awesome (but secret) in between now and May.

Speculation, and probably false. But I'd love to be right.

It is cool they liked a tweet again. A sign of life in the new year. :D For some reason, I agree with the fanfiction that the musical events in Tomorrow's Harvest will play a role in the next release.

Dayvan Cowboy
Also fun theory: what if Steven Wilson produced their new album?

And his new album is called "The Future Bites," which is similar to Tomorrow's Harvest, but more blunt.

Boqurant
Echelon wrote:Also fun theory: what if Steven Wilson produced their new album?

And his new album is called "The Future Bites," which is similar to Tomorrow's Harvest, but more blunt.

As much as I am an unashamed fan of prog rock, I highly, highly doubt it. Those are just two very different worlds...Steven Wilson gets his message across with super clean production and blunt lyrics, very different from the Boards style. I wouldn't totally put it past them to collaborate on something, but I wouldn't expect them to get along very well stylistically.

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthernPlastics wrote:
Echelon wrote:Also fun theory: what if Steven Wilson produced their new album?

As much as I am an unashamed fan of prog rock, I highly, highly doubt it. Those are just two very different worlds...Steven Wilson gets his message across with super clean production and blunt lyrics, very different from the Boards style. I wouldn't totally put it past them to collaborate on something, but I wouldn't expect them to get along very well stylistically.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Wilson aside from his production on some of my favorite prog albums, so that makes sense. It probably means that either they're congratulating him on a new album release when he did the same, or they're reminiscing about Tomorrow's Harvest, especially with how precedent it is in 2020-2021.

Dayvan Cowboy
Navaru wrote:They liked a tweet about Tomorrows Harvest from 2013 recently, first movement in a bit from em’.

That must have just happened, I checked their likes a few days ago.

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

That must have just happened, I checked their likes a few days ago.

Yeah, I checked yesterday afternoon and it wasn't there.

Dayvan Cowboy
[quote="Sherbet Head] Anyway, that Squid tune is pretty good! Quite surprised to hear Warp putting out some clean sounding post-punk.[/quote]

A very unusual Warp debut for 2021. It makes me think of a Pere Ubu or Talking Heads tribute act.

Not a fan of the vocals at all though, and I love David Thomas. Never thought I'd hear a post punk band with a front man who was too abrasive.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Not a fan of the vocals at all though, and I love David Thomas. Never thought I'd hear a post punk band with a front man who was too abrasive.

I get what you're saying. I think it's the juxtaposition of the vocals against highly polished, dry-sounding instrumentation. I always associate post-punk with a sound that's raw and often cavernous, so an abrasive vocal style usually fits right in. I'm sure the Squid vocals will eventually grow on me over time though. I'll check out the album once it's released. :)

Eagle Minded
Sky and Trails wrote:It is difficult to remember that BOC is never truly speaking directly to the fanbase with comments made in interviews, and likely more difficult to understand that BOC are not capable of responding to speculation made after the fact.
Frustration is understood but it must be considered that communication between artist and fans is one-directional. The music is all there really ever is. It's the only intention.
It might be a better idea to think of things in terms of record companies and marketing when digging rabbit holes.

That being said, the Space concept seems to have developed itself through forums, and there is little else to support it.

You can't argue with that. But we're all addicted to the chase. Anticipating is much better than the shunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD9jeBMHzfg

Boqurant
Sl Flk wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:It is difficult to remember that BOC is never truly speaking directly to the fanbase with comments made in interviews, and likely more difficult to understand that BOC are not capable of responding to speculation made after the fact.
Frustration is understood but it must be considered that communication between artist and fans is one-directional. The music is all there really ever is. It's the only intention.
It might be a better idea to think of things in terms of record companies and marketing when digging rabbit holes.

That being said, the Space concept seems to have developed itself through forums, and there is little else to support it.

You can't argue with that. But we're all addicted to the chase. Anticipating is much better than the shunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD9jeBMHzfg

I'm reminded of this interview they did around the release of the Campfire Headphase:
https://bocpages.org/wiki/Around_The_Campfire

Specifically this quote:
We got into it because we love music, not because we want to be in the press. In fact, it’s all the industry bullshit that makes us stay away in the first place. But our reticence has backfired on us on occasions because if we stay quiet it creates a vacuum where speculation and bullshit can thrive.- Mike

This explains allot in how they look at publicity and interacting with their fans.

It's essentially turned into this :arrow:

Having said that, I'd hope they'd also see that while there will always be people who stoke flames and create drama, there are those who are more respectful that shouldn't have to be lumped in with that crowd.

There are better moderation tools that exists today to make this happen.

Hell, even a moderated reddit AMA would at least let the brothers answer any questions they 'd feel comfortable with, and give fans a chance to interact.

I just hope it's something they'd consider.

Posts Quantity
An AMA for the twoism forum would be really nice. We should try and get mdg to help us do that when (if) the next album gets released.
"Boards of Canada is a unique project that got a bit out of hand."

Eagle Minded
'BoC' and 'AMA' is perhaps the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard lol

Eagle Minded
They'll make an AMA only available to their friends and family
yes, i would love to be free!

Posts Quantity
What in the hell are you guys blabbering about

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada