GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
darekH wrote:
frankixus wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/su0gbJZ

Here you go xx

That is thrice as many as I was expecting so thank you very very much :mrgreen:

I know this is likely moot, but for anyone who wanted to see Neil Krug's post as opposed to the stills, you can find a video of it here:
https://imgur.com/a/o15jJhL

Happy Cycler
Knifeyspooney wrote:
darekH wrote:
frankixus wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/su0gbJZ

Here you go xx

That is thrice as many as I was expecting so thank you very very much :mrgreen:

I know this is likely moot, but for anyone who wanted to see Neil Krug's post as opposed to the stills, you can find a video of it here:
https://imgur.com/a/o15jJhL

I have no idea what any of this is about, but that Charlie Rouse album is badass!

Boqurant
They are still under contract for two more albums at Warp

Is there a source on this? I've heard this idea being thrown around a lot, most often people say they have only 1 album left. I'd love to know if this is confirmed or not.

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:It's just another day in BoCadise.

We all spend most our lives living in a BOCster's paradise
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
To be fair the theories are really entertaining.

This reminds me of BoC fans

https://youtu.be/Ka9mfZbTFbk

Dayvan Cowboy
But seriously, the theories are really fun. It's sort of a community activity because unlike other artists, we're constantly in the dark and have to try to speculate when the sun will shine on the BOC community again.

As I've said before, I burned out on BOC's albums a long time ago, but the speculation game and the hope of hearing fresh new BOC material, keep me in the game for the long run!

Eagle Minded
Good things come to those that wait :) There was a time when I thought there wouldn't be another album from Boards Of Canada. But now i'm more convinced than ever that they'll find a suitable way to end their project. I reckon they'll be a UK tour one day.

Dayvan Cowboy
I never really suspected anything was going to happen today, since as I've mentioned a few times, BoC make tongue-in-cheek references to numerology in their music, but as far as I can tell it's never actually related to an album release (The only sort-of exception is Trans Canada Highway, which was originally announced for 6/6/06 but ended up getting released early anyway.) That's it. None of the other thousand dates picked out based on astronomical events, palindromes, timestamps of their social media posts, etc. have resulted in anything.

That said, I think the suggestion that they're done with music and "off working their real jobs" is way off-base. I'm sure they're not rich, but they certainly make enough from streaming, royalties, record sales, and merch to live on. They said in TH-era interviews that they're always working on music, that they have no intention of stopping, and that TH was "just a continuation." Their online presence has also increased over the last year or so, which also happened prior to the TH release.

Basically, there's no reason to think we'll be able to predict when they'll be back, but every reason to believe they will be back.

Boqurant
I often think about the fact that they almost definitely are releasing music totally different from BoC under a different moniker. It makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the amount of radio silence from them in conjunction with the implication that they're always making music. The BoC stuff is cool, but it is certainly just one corner of the music I'm sure they're interested in.

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthernPlastics wrote:I often think about the fact that they almost definitely are releasing music totally different from BoC under a different moniker. It makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the amount of radio silence from them in conjunction with the implication that they're always making music. The BoC stuff is cool, but it is certainly just one corner of the music I'm sure they're interested in.

I've thought about that a lot too. We know they do production work for other artists occasionally (for example The Sexual Objects) and they've mentioned in interviews they've made plenty of music that would not fit on a BoC record.

They also liked a tweet at one point saying something along the lines of "who else thinks new BoC is already out there and just hasn't been decoded yet?"

Unfortunately, I think if that's true, then there's basically no way for us to track those side projects down.

Sherbet Head
SamuraiDrifter wrote:
NorthernPlastics wrote:I often think about the fact that they almost definitely are releasing music totally different from BoC under a different moniker. It makes a lot of sense to me, especially given the amount of radio silence from them in conjunction with the implication that they're always making music. The BoC stuff is cool, but it is certainly just one corner of the music I'm sure they're interested in.

I've thought about that a lot too. We know they do production work for other artists occasionally (for example The Sexual Objects) and they've mentioned in interviews they've made plenty of music that would not fit on a BoC record.

They also liked a tweet at one point saying something along the lines of "who else thinks new BoC is already out there and just hasn't been decoded yet?"

Unfortunately, I think if that's true, then there's basically no way for us to track those side projects down.

i swear i remember reading a quote from one of them saying something like "maybe there are things already out there, waiting to be found..."

Eagle Minded
SamuraiDrifter wrote:Basically, there's no reason to think we'll be able to predict when they'll be back, but every reason to believe they will be back.

Beautifully said, Drifter.
no information at this moment in time

Dayvan Cowboy
I think I'd laugh if we found out that in their spare time they're a hippie folk duo with high pitched Scottish accents akin to The Incredible String Band.

New Seed
demo wrote:
arvy wrote:
Vaporized wrote:Guys -

There is nothing happening today. There was never going to be anything that happens today. All your theories are all fun to follow but anything can be made into anything. The guys and their management and label I'm sure have a plan and no amount of sleuthing will uncover nor decode when something will get announced or released. What if there is no new music or record? What if all they have been doing is working their real jobs, being parents, and just dabbling with a few remixes? What if they are doing scores for movies or shows on netflix under another name and what if it sounds NOTHING like any of their work as BOC? Maybe the silence is something as simple as that. What if they have some tracks they like and they are still piecing things together to create a record? Maybe that's another year or two off? Maybe one day we go online and their socials have a new record posted for download and it's up to stream and a preorder for physicals? You know, just like that. Out of the blue. No fancy marketing to back it. Just, here it is. Come get it.

Go back to living and enjoying what you can in our current lives. If/When a new record comes, great. We can all be here to celebrate and pick it to pieces.

I come here once a month to see what people are talking about or looking for any new music but seeing all these weird theories you guys scrape together is weird and creepy. If I were BOC and if I saw this stuff, I'd make you wait even longer. :)

Exactly, we will soon come up with next date, to make boc wait on their music just a little longer :!:

March 2nd

What is the significance of March 2nd? Where are you getting this from? That is actually my birthday, if BoC releases or teases anything on my birthday, March 2nd then nothing is real.

Friendly Stranger
I've seen the blue dot appear next to the AtalantaFugiens channel at least 3 times in a week.

Boqurant
northernlite wrote:
SamuraiDrifter wrote:

i swear i remember reading a quote from one of them saying something like "maybe there are things already out there, waiting to be found..."

In the spirit of "you might be on top something", I was reminded of when they liked the references to Toynbee tiles on instagram. A concept that feels very at home with BOC.
It's a natural extension of the real world scavenger hunt that they seem to still give nods to.

Last example of this is their last (as of this posting) liked tweet from Ian Rankin
I might put a coded message to them in one copy of my next book and place it in a randomly chosen bookshop in the hope that they find it..

Something that comes across as if it was said in jest, but could easily just be another ambiguous clue the public has yet to figure out.

The speculation continues...

Posts Quantity
Vaporized wrote:Guys -

There is nothing happening today. There was never going to be anything that happens today. All your theories are all fun to follow but anything can be made into anything. The guys and their management and label I'm sure have a plan and no amount of sleuthing will uncover nor decode when something will get announced or released. What if there is no new music or record? What if all they have been doing is working their real jobs, being parents, and just dabbling with a few remixes? What if they are doing scores for movies or shows on netflix under another name and what if it sounds NOTHING like any of their work as BOC? Maybe the silence is something as simple as that. What if they have some tracks they like and they are still piecing things together to create a record? Maybe that's another year or two off? Maybe one day we go online and their socials have a new record posted for download and it's up to stream and a preorder for physicals? You know, just like that. Out of the blue. No fancy marketing to back it. Just, here it is. Come get it.

Go back to living and enjoying what you can in our current lives. If/When a new record comes, great. We can all be here to celebrate and pick it to pieces.

I come here once a month to see what people are talking about or looking for any new music but seeing all these weird theories you guys scrape together is weird and creepy. If I were BOC and if I saw this stuff, I'd make you wait even longer. :)

They hated Jesus because he told them the truth.

Something I've realised recently is that the first crumb in the Tomorrow's Harvest ARG was supposed to be found by accident whilst you were enjoying their music, and not by looking into every little bit of detail on their online presence and obsessively pressing F5.

To me, numerology doesn't seem like a very likely form of promotion for the band because it only plays into the most obsessive tropes of the fanbase. I think maybe it's why they got a kick out of sending obsessives on a wild goose chase with the whole Red Moon thing.

Boqurant
Patience is a virtue.

Spoiler: show
https://youtu.be/DVoTrajpdZE

Dayvan Cowboy
sixtyniner wrote:
They hated Jesus because he told them the truth.

Something I've realised recently is that the first crumb in the Tomorrow's Harvest ARG was supposed to be found by accident whilst you were enjoying their music, and not by looking into every little bit of detail on their online presence and obsessively pressing F5.

To me, numerology doesn't seem like a very likely form of promotion for the band because it only plays into the most obsessive tropes of the fanbase. I think maybe it's why they got a kick out of sending obsessives on a wild goose chase with the whole Red Moon thing.

I honestly believe that anyone who this post or that other post brands as an "obsessive" is more a new fan who is fresh to the hype of BOC. We've all been there. I was there a year ago and I've slowly grown into someone discovered other brilliant IDM bands and other geniuses from modern times, and I'm totally at the point where I can live without a new BOC release.

And even if I've finally reached that point, I can still join in the merriment of speculation because well, it's fun. I think that people should only be branded as "obsessives" when they do something harmful against the band and or it's truly hurting themselves. Going "I believe that there's going to be a release on Jan 22nd because of such and such..." isn't.

debugDolores wrote:
They are still under contract for two more albums at Warp

Is there a source on this? I've heard this idea being thrown around a lot, most often people say they have only 1 album left. I'd love to know if this is confirmed or not.

A source? Well yes, I posted it. :) All joking aside, it’s mentioned on bocpages in a Dutch interview by Koen Poolman in 2005, discussing The Campfire Headphase. In that very interview, fwiw, it’s stated there’s three more albums to come at Warp. We already got one of those three, Tomorrow’s harvest. You do the math. :)

https://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada