Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
No new leads. I think we’re in a holding pattern until the magazine interview. From there we’ll see if there are any changes to the existing Easter egg in the parking lot At redondo vaccum haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle Minded
Something big is coming. I feel it.
I also still stand firmly by my statement that this VHS tape thing IS BOC AND I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL! :mrgreen:
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Boqurant
Unlikely to be related to this ARG, but looks like there’s something Spiritualized-related brewing that fans of this sort of thing might want to keep tabs on https://www.reddit.com/r/WhatsInThisThi ... &context=3

Posts Quantity
mondaffe wrote:Unlikely to be related to this ARG, but looks like there’s something Spiritualized-related brewing that fans of this sort of thing might want to keep tabs on https://www.reddit.com/r/WhatsInThisThi ... &context=3

Great find. How did you spot this? The music track sounds eerily like…. :)
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Boqurant
It was cross posted in r/ARG which I’ve been in since Catherine Fell was around

Posts Quantity
mondaffe wrote:It was cross posted in r/ARG which I’ve been in since Catherine Fell was around

I’m tired of the whole ARG thing but I’m always too intrigued to turn away lol. (I have a serious case of BOC FOMO.)

Boqurant
Yeah the toxicity can be draining but generally entertaining if you can see beyond that and suspend your disbelief.

Posts Quantity
mondaffe wrote:Yeah the toxicity can be draining but generally entertaining if you can see beyond that and suspend your disbelief.

The ARG frequency has picked up significantly the past few months with the VHS thrift store tape and extra tracks, the Sequoia stuff, this here now…anything else? Hoping the coincidences all point in the same direction and lead us to gold.

Dayvan Cowboy
How can you be tired of an ARG?! Surely 23 pages is not enough, lets strive for another twenty!

Seriously though. The fact that this topic is the size it is, is a testament to how captivated you all were by this mystery.
I think from the creators perspective, the work has served it's purpose and is now done.

Boqurant
Anything happening lately that I’ve missed?

Posts Quantity
mondaffe wrote:Anything happening lately that I’ve missed?

Not that I have seen. Something to think about though - There were dates mentioned in the Seek video and elsewhere that is escaping me at the moment.. There was activity on those dates whether it was a new ARG video, Eleven Missing Tracks, Selection A Offload 2 or on the Seeburdz Tumblr page.

There are still 2 dates left.

June 6th.

Also on the now deleted tumblr post "ride the wave"

#tvsg - 20 22 19 7

7/19/2022.

Friendly Stranger
April 7th was the day the second channel 4226 video was uploaded (the video with the link for the Seeburdz tumblr page). The other dates in the channel Onesixtyfive video were clues for the thrift store GPS coordinates (April 9th = 49).

TVSG through a Caesar cipher where the letters are shifted one place to the left in the alphabet (so that A becomes Z) gives surf. TVSG gives gift if the letters are shifted 13 places to the right (so that A becomes N). This likely serves no purpose (much like missingtrack from the first tumblr page).

I'm confident this is over and that Boards of Canada had nothing to do with it. I enjoyed the music though and the ARG was a fun bit of intrigue.

Posts Quantity
karpeggi wrote:introducing the archive (archive) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ01o5 ... CWuICCD8hw

There is one video missing to reupload, is called Missing Tracks (I think), and has around 6 to 8 minutes.

Eagle Minded
I think this thing stalled out for some reason unrelated to a simple ending of a 'fake ARG'.
I think there is more to come.

I've been messing around with the missing tracks stuff and all I can say is that it sounds legitimately older. Whoever it is was good back then.

What if christ. is a big part of this?
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
Just wanted to bump this thread because this is Boards of Canada.
I mean the Thrift Store Tape. It's Boards of Canada. It is.

Boqurant
Maybe this is the new album they were hinting about on twitter and it is YouTube only. So now another 10 year wait begins.

Posts Quantity
Burning Shadow wrote:Maybe this is the new album they were hinting about on twitter and it is YouTube only. So now another 10 year wait begins.

I'd say 20 years, at least.

To be honest, these "tapes" were perfectly crafted to be listened to in the summer. I was out on the boat with some friends a few weeks back and I was designated bluetooth driver and put on Eleven Missing Tracks and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. Whatever these are, they're still fun to listen to.

Eagle Minded
oakmoss&amber wrote:
Burning Shadow wrote:Maybe this is the new album they were hinting about on twitter and it is YouTube only. So now another 10 year wait begins.

I'd say 20 years, at least.

To be honest, these "tapes" were perfectly crafted to be listened to in the summer. I was out on the boat with some friends a few weeks back and I was designated bluetooth driver and put on Eleven Missing Tracks and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. Whatever these are, they're still fun to listen to.

Nice! I only WISH I knew people that understood the concept of 'bluetooth driver' or 'music curator' because it drives me nuts when someone is in control of the music and it's total garbage.

Eleven Missing Tracks would be NICE on the water.

The intro of the VHS tape really kicks, too, and I've had that blasting at home on the hi-fi with some psychedelic visuals on the screen. Great night!

Posts Quantity
Sky and Trails wrote:Eleven Missing Tracks would be NICE on the water.

When the "Buckie High" sounding song (4:07) came on, everyone seemed to perk a bit. The drums happened to slap right as we were hitting some waves. Pretty ideal.

Nice! I only WISH I knew people that understood the concept of 'bluetooth driver' or 'music curator' because it drives me nuts when someone is in control of the music and it's total garbage.

I try to be a bit careful with what I share because a lot of the tunes that I play freak people out. Haha! I don't get it! (or they don't.)

Eagle Minded
oakmoss&amber wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:Eleven Missing Tracks would be NICE on the water.

When the "Buckie High" sounding song (4:07) came on, everyone seemed to perk a bit. The drums happened to slap right as we were hitting some waves. Pretty ideal.

I try to be a bit careful with what I share because a lot of the tunes that I play freak people out. Haha! I don't get it! (or they don't.)

Same here! I played a mixtape I made and it was like I started talking about a MLM scheme and Jesus. Crickets, man!
Then someone else starts to play BTS and Lady Gaga and everyone loses their damned minds.

I didn't have the heart to admit to them that it was the equivalent of me expressing my deepest secrets only to have a dog shit on them. lol

Next time, I'll just play the soundtrack to Into the Wild. That one kicks ass, but it's also relevant to my age group I guess. I don't know what I'm saying anymore.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound