Black Lives Matter

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
I've been visiting twoism for nearly a decade, first as just a lurker, later as a member. I joined because I love Boards of Canada, but also because I found this place to be one of the most polite, respectful and troll-free forums I'd ever encountered visited by people who shared my love of BoC, but who also exposed me to other non-BoC stuff I wouldn't have otherwise discovered. I've been able to discuss and engage in topics on all manner of things, or just read things without feeling the need to comment on, yet still find interesting.

I don't expect that will change. I, too applaud Mexicola and the other moderators on the job they do with finding the balance that fosters free and open discussion, allowing for disagreement and opposing views while also not hesitating to intervene when discussion goes beyond the bounds of civility. Being a moderator isn't easy and often not fun. I know from experience.

In short, shit is crazy, but let's try to keep our heads together, continue to be good to each other and uh... hopefully we're another day closer to new BoC music.

Dayvan Cowboy
There is a conspiratorial mindset that I've called out on the forum before that crops up every so often, and I'm not surprised to see it crop up here. Like, we sidestepped the 5G-Covid shit pretty much, but "suddenly" there's a huge worldwide protest movement and I knew someone would bring it to this.

(I say "suddenly" in quotes, because the movement that culminated in BLM is really NOT sudden, this whole struggle has been going on for a long long time, it's just the more uh... sheltered you are I guess you can go a while without seeing it).

So yep, for whatever reason it happens now, and blows a bunch of people's minds because they're like "holy shit, there's no way a protest movement like this just spontaneously happened, *someone must be behind it*". Like they're unable to comprehend that it's possible for this many people to all feel similarly disgusted about a thing and take to the streets. Well, yes they are, turns out that when things are this egregious, a lot of people see it, (even if a lot of those people are coming in shockingly late, but whatever).

Buying into the conspiracy theory mindset is one thing and bad enough, but who you choose to see as the ringmasters of it is another, and it's there that you see what people are really about, because their prejudices and suspicions come to the fore. In this case, a bunch of people protesting for equality becomes a plot by the left because heaven forefend that someone threatens right-hegemony or doesn't center the conversation on white people for one second.

If your answer to seeing people righteously demanding basic equality, (like, not fearing that you're going to be executed by agents of the state over some triviality because they're indoctrinated to not view you as a human life worthy of equal treatment), is "oh shit, this is somehow a cover for something different, that's a threat to ME", then you need to look at what the reality of life is for a bunch of people that aren't you and ask yourself if the status quo that you're defending is fair, and if not, how you defend arguing for it. And you need to listen to some different voices, holy shit.

Dayvan Cowboy
Negamuse wrote:If your answer to seeing people righteously demanding basic equality, (like, not fearing that you're going to be executed by agents of the state over some triviality because they're indoctrinated to not view you as a human life worthy of equal treatment), is "oh shit, this is somehow a cover for something different, that's a threat to ME", then you need to look at what the reality of life is for a bunch of people that aren't you and ask yourself if the status quo that you're defending is fair, and if not, how you defend arguing for it. And you need to listen to some different voices, holy shit.

Amen. The blind hate for people who are asking for basic human rights and to be treated equally is hard to fathom.
If you're buying into this stuff, please sit down and ask yourself - "What is my basic human empathy telling me the important issue is here?"

Dayvan Cowboy
Someone on this forum once said, of American politics, that it was tiring that every political argument came down to two party tribalism. Seriously, think above that level.

For the record, there are plenty of people in the BLM protests who are from all points across the political spectrum, and any attempt to paint it as a front for a project of the left is idiotic on a number of levels. Agreeing with the protest cause isn't something to feel righteous about, it's kind of a pretty basic litmus test for empathy, frankly.

I'm not about to reply to myself 5 times while having a totally normal one so please feel free to reread this post if there's any buzzwords you don't understand.

Sherbet Head
Statistics, "evidence", "facts", stories, ideas, assumptions, beliefs.

The great play of the devil himself: Divide and Rule. If you think you are right, you are certainly wrong.

When you choose a side, you are unconsciously adding fuel to the fire. What you fight, you become.

The world needs more love. But people can't love when they divide themselves into two all the time.

God help this place.
"What you are looking for, is where you are looking from."

Sherbet Head
That Thing Which You Fight You Become

Surely that thing which you fight you become. If I am angry and you meet me with anger what is the result? More anger. You have become that which I am. If I am evil and you fight me with evil means then you also become evil, however righteous you may feel. If I am brutal and you use brutal methods to overcome me, then you become brutal like me. And this we have done for thousands of years. Surely there is a different approach than to meet hate by hate. If I use violent methods to quell anger in myself then I am using wrong means for a right end, and thereby the right end ceases to be. In this there is no understanding; there is no transcending anger. Anger is to be studied tolerantly and understood; it is not to be overcome through violent means. Anger may be the result of many causes and without comprehending them there is no escape from anger.
We have created the enemy, the bandit, and becoming ourselves the enemy in no way brings about an end to enmity. We have to understand the cause of enmity and cease to feed it by our thought, feeling, and action. This is an arduous task demanding constant self-awareness and intelligent pliability, for what we are the society, the state is. The enemy and the friend are the outcome of our thought and action. We are responsible for creating enmity and so it is more important to be aware of our own thought and action than to be concerned with the foe and the friend, for right thinking puts an end to division.Love transcends the friend and the enemy.

http://legacy.jkrishnamurti.org/krishna ... hp?t=Anger

Sherbet Head
"On June 2, 2020, David Dorn, a 77-year-old African-American retired police captain, was fatally shot by a man looting a pawn shop in the early hours of the morning. The incident occurred within the context of the George Floyd protests in St. Louis, Missouri."

"Oh my God, cuz....They just killed this old man at the pawn shop over some TVs....c'mon, man, that's somebody's granddaddy."
- Random looter as he streamed the death of another human being live on the internet instead of trying to save his life, June 2020

Don't pretend the riots have any moral superiority at all when the end result was violence, death, and a whole bunch of people getting some fresh kicks and a big television for free. So many people were on the side of the protestors before they took it too far. Now a bunch of people who could, should, and would have helped the cause have turned their back on them and nothing good will come from any of this.

Black lives matter as a statement of fact is true and should be supported and promoted as such. Shout it from the rooftops because everyone should hear it and understand what it means. However, Black Lives Matter as a movement is an absolute shit show populated by hateful bigots and disgusting opportunists. An afternoon on Black Twitter will show you how people really feel about you and just how bad things really are. Doxxing children for making mistakes before they have a chance to grow up and learn is wrong. Destroying peoples lives instead of educating them is wrong. Hating people who are different from you is wrong. Thinking it is okay to destroy the history of people who are different than you is wrong. Giving a voice to hatred and bigotry is wrong. Twitter was a mistake and should be nuked from orbit.

It is absolutely true that George Floyd was a disgusting human being who should not be elevated to the level of a martyr. However, he was killed by police and I, like many others, sincerely hope that something positive comes out of the death of a human being who both lived a horrible life and died a horrible death.

This event has pushed to Overton window in a disturbing new direction and I'm afraid for the future of everyone involved regardless of the color of their skin.

"Defeating White supremacy without White people creates Black supremacy. Equality is the truth. Like it or not, we are all in this together."
- Terry Crews, June 7, 2020

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah no, ActBlue is the fundraising platform. Replace "ActBlue" with "PayPal" and you see what I'm getting at - just because some people have used ActBlue to run donations to the DNC does not imply that any of the Black Lives Matter donations have gone to the DNC. That's a specific claim of financial misconduct and you don't have anything to back that up. You seem to feel driven to try and discredit a movement fighting for black equality. Why?

I engaged with the thread in the first place because I agree with the movement and share the disgust felt by people at whats been happening in the US and worldwide. Debunking this flat earth accountancy is a sideshow and distracts from that conversation and I'm done with it.

Sherbet Head
jcnporter wrote:Although I would add that while it is important to look inwards for the sources of problems and solutions, this could lead to apathy and disengagement from politics, indeed cognitive dissonance, if done exclusively. As you say, it is a start.
It is important to also recognise when your problems are external, societal and beyond your control and that the solution to these is not to seek ideological conflict, but solidarity.

Thank you for pointing this out. This is very true and for some this is a huge trap, I know it was for me for quite some time. It's important to remember to never ever believe anything people say or write, but to always find out for yourself whether something is true or not. When the Truth you find is experiential the puzzle of life will slowly start falling into place. How one perceives the external world is merely a reflection of one's inner state of being. It's so obvious yet so easy to miss and to this day I still find that incredible. As someone else said, there is only one earth but there are a billion of worlds.

Site Admin
Things got a bit out of hand here...

Did some cleansing and I am now trying to steer this topic back on track, a difficult track either way.
I really don't like to silence anyone as twoism holds the banner of solidarity and freedom of speech very high. Most of the time the community rebuilds itself and in rare cases the mods need to step in. This is such a rare case. I'm not choosing sides, I'm not pointing a finger, heck... I didn't even wanted to interfere but I was left no choice. I'm just using the tools to have the discussion concentrated to BLM.

Respect and be kind to each other, no matter from which planet you come from.

Life is a Frequency

Amen to that. Thanks Robin.

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
We love you all :wink:

Happy Cycler
I do still believe in the hearts and minds of the people who gather here and see to the place.

And at the risk of sounding too optimistic, I'm also glad to see this is a place where discussion can even be introduced, let alone engaged with. That may be a low bar, but this is is the internet after all, even if it's only our little cubby hole of the internet.

I've always believed in us, one way or another. I don't put my stock in a lot of places really, but this can be a great space when it is.

Sorry for any confusion. Twoism is part of me.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Dayvan Cowboy
Some thoughts: I have a black girlfriend who I've been dating for four years now. When I saw George Floyd's head getting crushed by that cop, there was a total feeling of rage and hatred in my mind. If someone did that to my girlfriend, who is the sweetest, most loving person I've ever had in my life, I think I would completely snap.

While, I was a bit upset to see cities in the US being destroyed and I even spoke to other people about my concern where this country was heading, I do believe that to rob an innocent man of his life in a wanton act of cruelty justifies this level of outrage.

'Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned - everywhere is war - me say war' - Bob Marley
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Also just want to add that that Bob Marley quote, when spoken by him, is delivered with a fiery sorrow, something I feel myself when I think about what's happened.

Let us work together to end this war between races and come together! Much love to this forum, even to those who I annoy.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Happy Cycler
People.

This is why I stopped making things. I made them for people.

People disgust what's left of my capacity to care.

I expect more foolishly.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
I suppose I care enough still to question how or why this could possibly become drama or an argument in this forum, this sanctuary, of all places. I still don't know where BLM defensiveness really comes from in individuals that are otherwise understanding. "White" isn't a hive mind and "white people" were never in question en masse so what don't you understand?

And I get anxious. Take a deep breath...oh wait, what if I can't because a cop is kneeling on my fucking neck until I die of asphyxiation?

There are no politics to this. There's a bunch of you who can't see something horrific and wrong for what it was, your tangentially related frustrations you formed based on what might as well be Twitter posts are incidental and irrelevant to the disaster you just fuckin' saw.

Black lives matter. The End. If you're offended, then you're right. Sure. Good job. Much wow. PM me.

Hopefully lives can matter at all someday, at least a little more than our stupid insecurities and prejudices.

Happy Cycler
Wow. Somehow I brought this thread to a grinding halt. Getting even better at that.

Cops still killing black folks for being black. Reconcile it.

Nothing's changed.

I don't think you specifically brought this thread to a halt. This thread and the Corona thread both slowed down. 2020 is just a lot to take in.
PLEASE LISTEN TO MY QUEER ELECTRONIC POP MUSIC: 2020k.Bandcamp |Twenty20k.com

Sherbet Head
Jonse wrote:Wow. Somehow I brought this thread to a grinding halt. Getting even better at that.

Cops still killing black folks for being black. Reconcile it.

Nothing's changed.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground