an intriguing comment thread....

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Not a closet no, but a bookcase bursting at the seams.

Also I’ve just watched that YouTube video, and it’s a very inspiring take on music making! I like how the guy had no previous experience with music reading and was just doing it for the heck of it (and enjoyed it) great video thanks for showing it!

Your recommendation is quite percussive and melodic, I like it, will explore more of it!

Just looking at my bookcase now, I can see a few that ya might like.

Hope you enjoy these recommendations, have fun digging! :wink:

thought i had responded to this post already, whoops.
that video is great! so many great reflections on that channel
i also really enjoyed your reccomendations, i'd pick a favourite but im torn between sly diva and ar.mour
my recommendation was a joke haha, it's a joke song
i'd like to see your bookcase one day

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:i also really enjoyed your reccomendations, i'd pick a favourite but im torn between sly diva and ar.mour

Glad you liked them! :D

kakanara wrote:i'd like to see your bookcase one day

And so you shall! Here are some pics of it and it’s musical prisoners.

Two levels of prog, psych & electronica
https://ibb.co/WWfjww5

Some more on a third level
https://ibb.co/BqX30qx

Kraftwerk and Jean Michel jarre
https://ibb.co/94sdKvm

The stalky prowess of BoC, staring down every other album
https://ibb.co/0QWWPBw

Dayvan Cowboy
Orbited insanitarium wrote:
kakanara wrote:i also really enjoyed your reccomendations, i'd pick a favourite but im torn between sly diva and ar.mour

How could I not put this in! A smudge of Aphex (and it is a smudge considering how much he’s done!)
https://ibb.co/m5fpp7Y

Eagle Minded

How could I not put this in! A smudge of Aphex (and it is a smudge considering how much he’s done!)
https://ibb.co/m5fpp7Y

very very nice. these images reminds me a lot of my early memories from the late 2000s when people still used cds around here. every cool hipster kid had a cd shelf. when i got to their age the cds were gone, never got to own one

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:when i got to their age the cds were gone, never got to own one

Flipping heck! Now I feel bad for posting them.

I do find it sad that CD’s have become sorta redundant as a music format in the face of streaming, maybe once all the world has sorted itself out (shows comical montage) you could find a express delivery from the UK to Brazil, a Disc-covery if you will! :wink:

You said in a post that the only music where you are is sorta American pop and Brazilian country, (this might sound the crappiest question considering my non british knowledge) but how is the alternative music culture there, do you have your own Glastonbury?
I’ve never gone to that, but there must be people the same age as you that listen to albums out of the mainstream and go to similar festivals? (as I say I’m not well traveled, just thought provoked :D)

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I do find it sad that CD’s have become sorta redundant as a music format in the face of streaming, maybe once all the world has sorted itself out (shows comical montage) you could find a express delivery from the UK to Brazil, a Disc-covery if you will! :wink:

it's funny, streaming wasn't even that widespread when the cds disappeared, i think people started downloading mp3's and such, but knucklehead me couldn't figure it out. As for the delivering something from the uk, i have already tried to buy a minidisc player from there, and the whole payment and delivery process is extremely convoluted as well as terribly expensive. Not viable sadly.

Orbited insanitarium wrote:You said in a post that the only music where you are is sorta American pop and Brazilian country, (this might sound the crappiest question considering my non british knowledge) but how is the alternative music culture there, do you have your own Glastonbury?
I’ve never gone to that, but there must be people the same age as you that listen to albums out of the mainstream and go to similar festivals? (as I say I’m not well traveled, just thought provoked :D)

Well, it's a big country.
What i described probably only really applies to the center area of brazil, where i live. Mostly small trading towns where the gold diggers lived and cities based on agriculture.
As for alternative music, if someone doesn't listen to sertanejo or US pop over here, it's almost certain they'll either be a rock or metal fan. The 'underground' music is almost exclusively that. Not really anything i'm into. I still ask everyone i meet what their tastes are though, fingers crossed!

I know that to the southwest(São Paulo and it's regions) there is a lot more of brazilian funk (which is like the track i sent you) and a more normal diversity of genres(electronic, jazz, rap, rock, etc). Probably more like the rest of the world. I haven't been there yet but i'd wager there must be someone who enjoys the similar music to me living there.

I myself am not well traveled at all, left my town very few times, so i don't know much about the music scene outside my region. When the pandemic dies down(ha!) i'll apply for a government travel discount and then i might learn more about other places in my country and their music.

In parallel to your non british knowledge, i had to google what Glastonbury is! I think the Rock in Rio event is probably the closest thing we got, but i think it's more like a knockoff Woodstock than a Glastonbury. I've never been there though (too far and expensive), don't know much about it myself.

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:it's funny, streaming wasn't even that widespread when the cds disappeared, i think people started downloading mp3's and such, but knucklehead me couldn't figure it out.

Recently Jean-michel jarre released an album called Amazônia which came with two versions (standard stereo mix & binaural 5.1 surround mix) In the CD version he included a download code for the binaural iteration, I found this surprising since I only thought vinyl releases came with download cards.
I guess this is a one off from the guy as he probably worked harder on the surround than the regular.
There also might have been pressure from the record company (Sony) to have both formats available for the CD release, since a majority of people now are using Spotify, Apple Music when listening to an album.
CD’s are disappearing everywhere.

kakanara wrote:As for the delivering something from the uk, i have already tried to buy a minidisc player from there, and the whole payment and delivery process is extremely convoluted as well as terribly expensive. Not viable sadly. .

Abroad shipping prices about now are horrendous, starting at £22.50 but probably twice that if it was going your way.

kakanara wrote:What i described probably only really applies to the center area of brazil, where i live. Mostly small trading towns where the gold diggers lived and cities based on agriculture.
As for alternative music, if someone doesn't listen to sertanejo or US pop over here, it's almost certain they'll either be a rock or metal fan. The 'underground' music is almost exclusively that. Not really anything i'm into. I still ask everyone i meet what their tastes are though, fingers crossed!

I’m sure nobody would disagree with your taste over here, I certainly don’t! :)
Personally I’d love to see your community’s reaction to cock/ver10 from drukqs or squarepusher’s port rhombus! Blast it off the rooftops and see if anybody notices.

kakanara wrote:In parallel to your non british knowledge, i had to google what Glastonbury is! I think the Rock in Rio event is probably the closest thing we got, but i think it's more like a knockoff Woodstock than a Glastonbury. I've never been there though (too far and expensive), don't know much about it myself.

The best way to explain Glastonbury festival is in the words of an article that says the river that runs alongside the glastonbury fields is so filled with cocaine and other class-A drugs that it’s killing marine life! :shock:
The word excessive comes to mind :wink:

Eagle Minded
Orbited Insanitarium wrote:I’m sure nobody would disagree with your taste over here, I certainly don’t! :)
Personally I’d love to see your community’s reaction to cock/ver10 from drukqs or squarepusher’s port rhombus! Blast it off the rooftops and see if anybody notices.

I actually do that! when people are willing to listen i do show them a drukqs track, though it's usually 54 cymru beats. They usually say something along the lines of "this is too messy" or "it's too fast and annoying". Some of the nicer ones say things like "oh it's very psychedelic" but judging by their faces i think they don't like it very much either. And it's the opposite with boc! "too boring and repetitive".

Orbited Insanitarium wrote:The best way to explain Glastonbury festival is in the words of an article that says the river that runs alongside the glastonbury fields is so filled with cocaine and other class-A drugs that it’s killing marine life! :shock:
The word excessive comes to mind :wink:

hahahaha yeah we have things like that too but it's more exclusive to the minted folks

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:I actually do that! when people are willing to listen i do show them a drukqs track, though it's usually 54 cymru beats. They usually say something along the lines of "this is too messy" or "it's too fast and annoying". Some of the nicer ones say things like "oh it's very psychedelic" but judging by their faces i think they don't like it very much either. And it's the opposite with boc! "too boring and repetitive".

Cymru beats is a great one to start off an Aphex obsession, great acid breakbeat without being overpowering!

Also I finally asked that clerk in the games exchange shop in my town, I asked him what he thought of the new boards of canada remix (treat em right)
First I enticed him by saying "it’s hip-hop, you’ll like it" I played him it off my crappy mobile speaker (NOT the correct way to listen to BOC)
"this is not hip-hop!" He said once the vocals kicked in at the 20sec part "it’s a shittier version of reggae”
"I Disagree there Jordan, not a fan eh"
I said
He replied
"I’d rather listen to a crap singing in a bucket"

It’s safe to say I won’t be playing any music for him anymore :] talk about criticism, Reggae really?

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Cymru beats is a great one to start off an Aphex obsession, great acid breakbeat without being overpowering!

Also I finally asked that clerk in the games exchange shop in my town, I asked him what he thought of the new boards of canada remix (treat em right)
First I enticed him by saying "it’s hip-hop, you’ll like it" I played him it off my crappy mobile speaker (NOT the correct way to listen to BOC)
"this is not hip-hop!" He said once the vocals kicked in at the 20sec part "it’s a shittier version of reggae”
I said
He replied

It’s safe to say I won’t be playing any music for him anymore :] talk about criticism, Reggae really?

certainly a very blunt clerk
reggae lol

Eagle Minded
kakanara wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:Cymru beats is a great one to start off an Aphex obsession, great acid breakbeat without being overpowering!

I said
He replied

reggae lol

boards of canada
boc
bob
bob marley

the blockbusters connection :shock:
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
kakanara wrote:

I said
He replied

reggae lol

He’s like that, annoyingly critical after a few seconds of sound, TBH I only go in so he can slag off my music! :wink: Thinking about it, I cant even hear reggae in it, the percussion maybe.
But reggae usually has a bouncing beat. (A bit like this track)
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:boards of canada
boc
bob
bob marley

the blockbusters connection :shock:

"what W is the name of Bob Marley’s group?"
*ping*
"Haha everybody went for it, Cathy got there”
"Waltzer?"
"Yes it is, waltzer. gosh you took a chance, well done!"

:D :D

Eagle Minded
"what W is the name of Bob Marley’s group?" *ping* "Haha everybody went for it, Cathy got there”
"Waltzer?"

and for those who don't know, that's the one that uh, people are spun round as it revolves

:lol:
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:
"what W is the name of Bob Marley’s group?" *ping* "Haha everybody went for it, Cathy got there”
"Waltzer?"

and for those who don't know, that's the one that uh, people are spun round as it revolves

:lol:

"Can I have the M please bob?"
"Yes you may, what M is a garden flower who’s bright orange....”
*ping*
"Yes Sarah?"
"Football."
"That’s it! you’ve done it. Terrific. Well done"

:) :) :)

Happy Cycler
music have child right
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
This topic haunts my mortal coil. O' 2021 my blissful utopia.

(There's not been many updates on the Daniel Davis tapestry since this was last active I see.)

Happy Cycler
Daniel Davis eventually returned to his home planet, where he was welcomed back as a king.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Previous

Return to The Playground