RIP Cormac McCarthy

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
Pour a whiskey for our fellow cowboy tonight.
McCarthy had a gift for Southern Gothic. His influence was huge on my family, it is a sad day at home today.

Friendly Stranger
Amazing writer, makes me sad people only know him for No Country, hes a good man

Dayvan Cowboy
The Road is still my favourite novel, an incredible piece of work.

Dayvan Cowboy
I've always drawn connections between Cormac and BoC. They both are very private, rarely grant interviews, have a deep respect for their process and aren't in a hurry to release something until it's perfect, and create art that changes people in profound ways.

My favorite author by far. He will be missed. RIP

Dayvan Cowboy
RIP. The Road and Blood Meridian were masterpieces unlike anything else.

Eagle Minded
Ahhh no I didn't know that he passed :(

RIP to a fantastic mind. His writing was always amazing. The end passage of The Road was truly beautiful.

Sherbet Head
My favorite writer.

His novels and the way he lived his life will always be an inspiration to me. We'll never see a writer like him again.

I'm so incredibly lucky that I bought a paperback copy of Blood Meridian on a complete whim pre-internet without knowing anything about what I was about to get myself into. It totally changed how I thought about literature and made me a more serious reader.

Blood Meridian is hugely popular with millennials now, for reasons that I don't completely understand, but for those who are considering reading McCarthy, I wouldn't start there. I would probably start with Suttree , work your way chronologically forward, then reading his earlier novels.

I could go on. As they did.

Return to The Playground