This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
oh god oh god oh god.

touchy touch.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Telepathic Kid wrote:oh god oh god oh god.

touchy touch.

Happy Cycler
There should be no reason to discriminate by class, race, whatever. Julian Candy also shouldn't have to tolerate some dumbass fucks being loud and obnoxious in his face. That's not a good evolutionary behavior. However, he should get the reasoning backing what he sees correct.

Here's the deal: he has some people in his class who happen to be annoying. They also happen to be black.

Guess what? A lot of black people have that. Not because they're black, but simply because the culture many of them are raised in. Black culture is a bit more loud, upfront, soulful and emotionally honest most of the time. White culture is often more relaxed, emotionally concealing and polite. It's for the same reason a white kid raised with black kids in detroit ends up acting completely like them, and the same reason a black kid raised around white kids in seattle or something will end up acting like them. As for the race aspect it has absolutely nothing to do with their skin color or genetics whatsoever.

In that regard, I can see how Julian Candy's post can be considered mildly racist with its evolution standpoint.

I also, however, can see a bunch of unnecessary concern over a comic posted on the internets. Everyone should move on, it's not a big deal.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Sherbet Head
Rodheh wrote:In that regard, I can see how Julian Candy's post can be considered mildly racist with its evolution standpoint.

For the record, I intended it to end with ".. if you don't shut up". It somehow ended up as it is though.

Dayvan Cowboy
rebuttal!

whoever drew it up had to put the effort into it to make that group of people black.
the fact that they're black is normally extraneous information; we don't need to know that to understand that they're being hooligans in the class. the fact that the artist took the time to draw them black, and ALL of them black, does hint at some racism that isn't necessary

yes, it's just an internet joke

and that argument goes farther

yes, it's just a shitty movie
yes, it's just trolling
yes, it's just a game that has no real significant bearing on real life

but we still don't have to be a prick about these things that don't matter

Happy Cycler
Julian Candy wrote:
Rodheh wrote:In that regard, I can see how Julian Candy's post can be considered mildly racist with its evolution standpoint.

For the record, I intended it to end with ".. if you don't shut up". It somehow ended up as it is though.

Not sure it makes much of a difference.

But it's okay dude, I don't think you're racist.

I'm going to be perfectly honest, and I'm sure I'll get some criticism for it.

It is extraneous information to show that they're black.

Guess what though, I completely get what he's saying when he says "those type of black people" and urban is an applicable term to describe it. That's usually who it is, black people. Just like rednecks are usually white dudes with southern accents that often live in trailers and in the country side. Just like people who listen to the grateful dead are usually hippies who need to bathe. Just like how male fashion designers who speak with a lisp are usually gay.

However, the negative inclinations are not at what they are, it's what they're doing. The fact that what everyone gets up in arms about is the extraneous info is kind of staggering. Everyone wants to jump on the "that's racist/sexist/homophobic/supremacist/whatever" bandwagon and when you make a big deal out of small, insignificant shit that people say that isn't really, truly racist to begin with, you're wasting your time that you could be spending on tackling actual racist behavior. If Julian Candy comes in starts saying shit like "fuck these black people, they're black" or pulls a kramer, then you should identify the racism inherent in that and respond seriously. Until then, it's not necessary to give him shit for it. If you've not been living under a rock for the past 20 years, you probably know exactly what the fuck he's talking about, don't play stupid. On the same note, Julian, you could try to avoid posting questionable things people may become hostile about.

My two cents. Take what you will from it.

Sherbet Head
Rodheh wrote:Just like people who listen to the grateful dead are usually hippies who need to bathe.

whoa really? the only people I've found that like the GD are really like business professionals who used to smoke pot. White people who vote republican and drive trucks and that sort of thing. Then again, that's mostly from working in insurance. Even while I was playing in a jam band, the hippies who need to bathe just kind of put up with the GD.
Lens Larque wrote:For a while I was wondering what happened to the Depression thread and I was not sure if that was good or bad news.

Happy Cycler
I hate being restless.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
Cryabetes wrote:
Rodheh wrote:Just like people who listen to the grateful dead are usually hippies who need to bathe.

whoa really? the only people I've found that like the GD are really like business professionals who used to smoke pot. White people who vote republican and drive trucks and that sort of thing. Then again, that's mostly from working in insurance. Even while I was playing in a jam band, the hippies who need to bathe just kind of put up with the GD.

I had a whole bunch of them at my tech school a while back (GD fans) and they were exactly how I described earlier.

I mean, that just seems to be a portion of their fan base. Not as good of an example as the rest of what I'm trying to say, but I threw it in their for some lulz so it doesn't get too serious in here.

Sherbet Head
I can dig it.
Rodheh, how do you feel about the band the Juan Maclean?
Lens Larque wrote:For a while I was wondering what happened to the Depression thread and I was not sure if that was good or bad news.

Happy Cycler
Cryabetes wrote:I can dig it.
Rodheh, how do you feel about the band the Juan Maclean?

Never heard of him.

Happy Cycler
So, what stereotype do you guys use? I use a Sorny.

Dayvan Cowboy
You really didn't need to type all that rodheh. It's pretty clear to me that you take your talking points from stand up comedians and lack the life experience to grasp the issue.

Dayvan Cowboy
Hooray for the Grateful Dead!

Happy Cycler
zeitgeist wrote:You really didn't need to type all that rodheh. It's pretty clear to me that you take your talking points from stand up comedians and lack the life experience to grasp the issue.

Thanks bro. Even though I make a constant effort to make sure that I filter everything I hear from anyone else through my head to see if I agree with it, reformulate it and add my own feelings on it, as opposed to just parroting someone else. Guess though that there's an issue I'm apparently missing here.

Mind elaborating on it, maybe without the rudeness this time?

Dayvan Cowboy
Nah.

Happy Cycler
Alright then. Well, my opinion stands.

Happy Cycler
This thread is quickly losing its randomness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... B-AyUXyaJ4

Happy Cycler

Nova Scotia Robot

CLING TENACIOUSLY TO MY BUTTOCKS!!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground