This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Looks neat, if these are stickers I'll be ordering a few of these are meant for distribution.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Well, they weren't going to be stickers, but if people want stickers I'm sure we can look into it.

Part of something a bit more substantial in reality though ;-)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Well, they weren't going to be stickers, but if people want stickers I'm sure we can look into it.

Looks like a countdown to something?

Posts Quantity
Mexicola wrote:Well, they weren't going to be stickers, but if people want stickers I'm sure we can look into it.

Screensavers, wallpaper or maybe even t-shirt designs ? in the words of toyah " its a mystery" :wink:

Site Admin
phpBB [media]

Touching song and a great way of visualizing lyrics.
Life is a Frequency

Telepath
Pretty cool video, it made me quite uneasy. But cancer is scary. Just to get it out of the way, I think that will be the think that kills me (and its "their" fault).

To be fair, I really can't stand that Stromea dude. But I'm a snob and after hearing it everywhere I'm gone.

Sherbet Head
Imageboards are dying.
The Silent Hill Community is dying.
Missed you guys.

Happy Cycler
Tumblr has so many features/tools that provide with relative ease the ability to communicate in almost any manner you wish to, will on top of that host 90% of the media that you wish to share over it, is extremely flexible with such potential inherent in its design and it is wasted on an extreme contender for the shittiest generation of people ever to exist in the western world.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
If anyone here I have helped in the past can hook me up with a version of Soundforge pre version 7 that would be greatly appreciated!!! 6 or 5

Dayvan Cowboy
--

Dayvan Cowboy
thanks!

Happy Cycler
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
So Plug is now down for good apparently which means that I'll have to learn how to use Wavelength when listening to music with friends over the internet.

Supposedly they didn't already have enough money to keep the site running. Maybe if they had stripped away all the stupid dancing avatars, excessive UI and at least half the massive amount of generic EDM or "chill" rooms, they might have been able to keep their site - which charged for premium features and other nonsense - up and running. I don't believe Turntable shut down because of financial issues and I don't believe Plug ever hosted audio uploaded by users itself.

Good idea consumed by greed? Who knows...

Happy Cycler
it's really not hard.

I found it difficult to get into Plug tbh, with the whole creating play lists and having to join the DJ cue thing.

I mean it cuts down on people having to monitor the order of songs, but it took some time to adapt.

Wavelength really is Plug minus the bells and whistles. You add a song and boom, it plays.

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Image

Were you being hopeful mate? Haha

Happy Cycler
Haha would be nice, but nah I just found it pretty funny, and totally in-keeping with the 'Mr.Kranky' persona.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Eagle Minded
Rodheh wrote:Tumblr has so many features/tools that provide with relative ease the ability to communicate in almost any manner you wish to, will on top of that host 90% of the media that you wish to share over it, is extremely flexible with such potential inherent in its design and it is wasted on an extreme contender for the shittiest generation of people ever to exist in the western world.

Amen to that. Too bad I'm part of that generation.
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Happy Cycler
valleaux wrote:
Rodheh wrote:Tumblr has so many features/tools that provide with relative ease the ability to communicate in almost any manner you wish to, will on top of that host 90% of the media that you wish to share over it, is extremely flexible with such potential inherent in its design and it is wasted on an extreme contender for the shittiest generation of people ever to exist in the western world.

I'm not quite young enough to fall in the aforementioned generation, but nevertheless I see people all the way up to ~35 y/o just wasting time being nonsensical in that same way and can't help but feel just this depressing wave of it all, nothing hits me harder internet/tech wise than Tumblr and smartphones. Like...I could go on and on but it'd be pointless. The latter lets you upload whatever and is so easy to use; nobody uploads anything and just reposts mindless shit. These phones. however...they don't offer that much more of any real importance than they did years ago but they've just gotten better and better and faster and faster. People still use them to do NOTHING. They spend their time with it on instagram, snapchat, vine...not that I want to shit on what others like but it's just insane how much time they'll spend on those things and how little they'll use the device to any of its potential. My five year old Windows phone 7 that is only 3G can tell me, just after a few seconds, exactly where I am anywhere in the world and it's like 99% accurate, unlike the old nav units people had in cars circa 2002-2008. I can take a billion pictures on the thing too, anywhere, without an actual camera and they look GOOD actually. I don't need to take it to Walgreens and have it developed. I don't need to take a memory card out and put that into something else. It processes automatically. Then I can miraculously upload one to Facebook anywhere in the world I have reception and it works. I can transfer it all off the device with the device in a bag under my bed.

That's...that's absolutely fucking incredible. That's insane. That's science fiction as nonfiction and that was five years ago, where the phone had an OLED screen that was like 940x560 in resolution and on a 3.5" screen that was remarkable and as sharp and smooth as it ever needed to be back then.

Now I've seen "excessive" redefined. I was blown when after not paying any attention to development of them I realized phones were now toting 1080p screens. Now, like a year later, there are 3K phones. 1440p. Screen size? Like 5.5" - two inches bigger with like 5x the resolution. Part of me says "wow" and part of me says "why", but it's all pointless because I see people get these things, waste them and then eventually they all manage to break them with the same crack going down the front of the screen (mine is still fine). With all the effort that has gone into these things along with the social media websites/applications that accompany them, I can't believe that it is not only taken for granted so much but actually seen as not enough so much of the time. It astounds me, especially these phones with PMP quality DACs in them - it astounds me that people complain about them while complaining on them about something that isn't really a problem. They don't enjoy anything anymore either. We've been spoiled. I know a good chunk of the reason why people don't collect music today. Think it's all just piracy or streaming sites making it too easy? Not anywhere near as much as some people think I would say. People have the money to go to a record store or on Amazon or something and buy most albums in good shape for anywhere between some small amount of change to 15 dollars/10 quid or so. It's that all this instant gratification has made something so elequent as building a collection of (whatever) pointless and archaic. It's not, but people have allowed the enjoyment of it to be taken away over time. I'm trying to distance myself from the present - not necessarily the future, just the present. It's depressing as hell. /rant, sorry for my rambling

Eagle Minded
Rodheh wrote:
valleaux wrote:

I'm not quite young enough to fall in the aforementioned generation, but nevertheless I see people all the way up to ~35 y/o just wasting time being nonsensical in that same way and can't help but feel just this depressing wave of it all, nothing hits me harder internet/tech wise than Tumblr and smartphones. Like...I could go on and on but it'd be pointless. The latter lets you upload whatever and is so easy to use; nobody uploads anything and just reposts mindless shit. These phones. however...they don't offer that much more of any real importance than they did years ago but they've just gotten better and better and faster and faster. People still use them to do NOTHING. They spend their time with it on instagram, snapchat, vine...not that I want to shit on what others like but it's just insane how much time they'll spend on those things and how little they'll use the device to any of its potential. My five year old Windows phone 7 that is only 3G can tell me, just after a few seconds, exactly where I am anywhere in the world and it's like 99% accurate, unlike the old nav units people had in cars circa 2002-2008. I can take a billion pictures on the thing too, anywhere, without an actual camera and they look GOOD actually. I don't need to take it to Walgreens and have it developed. I don't need to take a memory card out and put that into something else. It processes automatically. Then I can miraculously upload one to Facebook anywhere in the world I have reception and it works. I can transfer it all off the device with the device in a bag under my bed.

That's...that's absolutely fucking incredible. That's insane. That's science fiction as nonfiction and that was five years ago, where the phone had an OLED screen that was like 940x560 in resolution and on a 3.5" screen that was remarkable and as sharp and smooth as it ever needed to be back then.

Now I've seen "excessive" redefined. I was blown when after not paying any attention to development of them I realized phones were now toting 1080p screens. Now, like a year later, there are 3K phones. 1440p. Screen size? Like 5.5" - two inches bigger with like 5x the resolution. Part of me says "wow" and part of me says "why", but it's all pointless because I see people get these things, waste them and then eventually they all manage to break them with the same crack going down the front of the screen (mine is still fine). With all the effort that has gone into these things along with the social media websites/applications that accompany them, I can't believe that it is not only taken for granted so much but actually seen as not enough so much of the time. It astounds me, especially these phones with PMP quality DACs in them - it astounds me that people complain about them while complaining on them about something that isn't really a problem. They don't enjoy anything anymore either. We've been spoiled. I know a good chunk of the reason why people don't collect music today. Think it's all just piracy or streaming sites making it too easy? Not anywhere near as much as some people think I would say. People have the money to go to a record store or on Amazon or something and buy most albums in good shape for anywhere between some small amount of change to 15 dollars/10 quid or so. It's that all this instant gratification has made something so elequent as building a collection of (whatever) pointless and archaic. It's not, but people have allowed the enjoyment of it to be taken away over time. I'm trying to distance myself from the present - not necessarily the future, just the present. It's depressing as hell. /rant, sorry for my rambling

We have the same idea it seems. You forgot to mention the fact that smartphones have made many people under the age of about 25 disturbingly computer illiterate. My brother, who is 26, has a full understanding of how computers work, because he had to learn. I, being 10 years younger, haven't had to do so, and neither have any of my peers. Lots of people consider me and others who are fairly computer savvy to be "computer geniuses", which is depressing. Am I really a genius because I have a full understanding of Microsoft Office and can efficiently use the internet? No, I just know how to use a computer, which sadly many younger people do not.
Red -
Orange - Aquarius
Yellow - Alpha and Omega
Green -
Blue -
Purple - Music is Math

Happy Cycler
Yup. Manage to pull up control panel and all of a sudden I'm a wizard of some sort. Worst is when I use an OS I don't know, say that I WILL NOT be able to help the person, they refuse to take that as an answer and then if I do manage to figure something out purely via common sense, they accuse me of lying.

Unrelated but equally depressing thing phones enable: sometimes I see a post online where a friend has taken the time to properly capitalize things and use correct grammar, just to then notice that it was posted from a mobile device. Next message immediately has some mistake and then eventually they get on their desktop and go full "hey bros lik ewhut up?? u k ppl?"

These thankfully are people I grew up with, not friends by choice but by proximity, and that SUCKS. People who look at you funny for having good friends you met online are the worst.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground