This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
ninetyoneplus wrote:Fuck rave culture. There's no such thing. A culture has to have some degree of permeability beyond the comedown of MDMA.

thank you. yes. i agree.
another silo full / another dark dawn / bending the air / love is so small

returnal \ you've never left \ you've been here the whole time

Sherbet Head
Continuing, some random thoughts around electronic/dance music culture:

- A DJ is to a producer as a gallery curator is to a painter. (I fully await hate on this one). I'm fine with DJ/producer combos (Deadmau5) but all the kids are trying to get into the scene these days through picking up MIDI controllers and pirating a copy of Traktor to play to their friends at parties so they can put their hands in the air and go woooo! You should at least try to make your own music before profiting off the music of others.

- FUCK PLUR. Not the concept, I'm down with all the love and whatnot. It's the bullshit that raves are some sort of collective transcendent experiences. All raves are is a bunch of people doing ecstasy and feeling false feelings of community. Really, what's more selfish than spending money on a ticket and drugs and then partying all night long? A culture of PLUR would continue past the rave and also include benefits for Africa and shit. I've never seen a benefit rave. That's actually kind of a cool idea.

- End the stagnation of electronic music. Electronic music is weird at its heart. it's artificially produced music. It's unnatural. It should be weird. It should be a constant world-wide launching pad of creativity. There should be no one solid idea of what it is. It is virtually limitless yet time and time again people willingly restrict it to a certain number of rules (you can dance to this, you can't dance to that, etc.)

- I fully believe electronic music has the ability to be an all day, all experience experience, people just need to explore beyond the club shit. And clubstep sucks.

- Fuck dudes like me who over-think this shit instead of just going out and having a good time. :(

Edit: The conversation I just had that sparked this:

Guy: "So what software do you use?"
Me: "Ableton Live"
Guy: "Oh wow, that's difficult, do you know how to use it?"
Me: "Yeah, completely. In and out."
Guy: "So can you make a song that sound like this?" *plays some electro or something*
Me: "What?"
Guy: "Can you make a song like that one?"
Me: "Um, I guess?"

Ugggh. It's not about sounding like other people.
http://91plus.bandcamp.com/
^FREE ALBUM^

<i> how strange it is to be anything at all </i>

Sherbet Head
ninetyoneplus wrote:Continuing, some random thoughts around electronic/dance music culture:

- A DJ is to a producer as a gallery curator is to a painter. (I fully await hate on this one). I'm fine with DJ/producer combos (Deadmau5) but all the kids are trying to get into the scene these days through picking up MIDI controllers and pirating a copy of Traktor to play to their friends at parties so they can put their hands in the air and go woooo! You should at least try to make your own music before profiting off the music of others.

- FUCK PLUR. Not the concept, I'm down with all the love and whatnot. It's the bullshit that raves are some sort of collective transcendent experiences. All raves are is a bunch of people doing ecstasy and feeling false feelings of community. Really, what's more selfish than spending money on a ticket and drugs and then partying all night long? A culture of PLUR would continue past the rave and also include benefits for Africa and shit. I've never seen a benefit rave. That's actually kind of a cool idea.

- End the stagnation of electronic music. Electronic music is weird at its heart. it's artificially produced music. It's unnatural. It should be weird. It should be a constant world-wide launching pad of creativity. There should be no one solid idea of what it is. It is virtually limitless yet time and time again people willingly restrict it to a certain number of rules (you can dance to this, you can't dance to that, etc.)

- I fully believe electronic music has the ability to be an all day, all experience experience, people just need to explore beyond the club shit. And clubstep sucks.

- Fuck dudes like me who over-think this shit instead of just going out and having a good time. :(

Guy: "So can you make a song that sound like this?" *plays some electro or something*

Exactly. I think I needed to read this. Thank you, good sir.

Happy Cycler
ninetyoneplus wrote:Continuing, some random thoughts around electronic/dance music culture:

i agree with all of what you just said

even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff, as ned flanders would have said.

but no, seriously. that was comforting in a good way. awesome.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think it's very annoying when on YouTube there are videos like "How to recreate Deadmau5 Ghosts n Stuff in Ableton live" Really? Try making your own stuff. It's pretty fun...

Sherbet Head
The worst part is I'm a total hypocrite. I'm gonna go see Datsik tonight in a club, take some MDMA, and enjoy it. Oh well.
http://91plus.bandcamp.com/
^FREE ALBUM^

<i> how strange it is to be anything at all </i>

Sherbet Head
ninetyoneplus wrote:The worst part is I'm a total hypocrite. I'm gonna go see Datsik tonight in a club, take some MDMA, and enjoy it. Oh well.

There's nothing wrong with this at all. Go have fun, friend.

Sherbet Head
BATTLES? IN SEATTLE?! HELL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200328643325276

Dayvan Cowboy
fitter
happier
more productive
a pig
in a cage
on antibiotics
if you are reading this you are spending too much time at your computer. go outside and get some fresh air.

Eagle Minded
ninetyoneplus wrote:The worst part is I'm a total hypocrite. I'm gonna go see Datsik tonight in a club, take some MDMA, and enjoy it. Oh well.

Lucky.

Sherbet Head
just came back from a FURRY CONVENTION cole are you jealooose

Dayvan Cowboy
Numerator wrote:fitter
happier
more productive
a pig
in a cage
on antibiotics
I can play that on the piano :arrow:

Dayvan Cowboy
Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap...whoops didn't know anyone was watching id better move on................ :arrow:
<center>de ['] ja [,] vu
nʌ ['] ɐɾ [,] ǝp

Sherbet Head
The Golden Sun main battle theme has been stuck in my head all day asjhajsf

And I was watching gameplay of Shadow of the Colossus which I haven't actually played or seen much of and oh man, it makes me want to grab a PS2 just so I can play it.

Nova Scotia Robot
Spenner wrote:The Golden Sun main battle theme has been stuck in my head all day asjhajsf

And I was watching gameplay of Shadow of the Colossus which I haven't actually played or seen much of and oh man, it makes me want to grab a PS2 just so I can play it.

Shadow of the Colossus is awesome. They are releasing ICO and SOTC for PS3 remastered in HD soon. Can't wait.

Happy Cycler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb5BFm4qIow

watched this last night. Yeah boy, great film. :D

Watched It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World the other day, that film was brilliant too.

Happy Cycler
Twoism-ist wrote:just came back from a FURRY CONVENTION cole are you jealooose

:lol: Most likely not my friend, most likely not. I keep my distance from those things.

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh man, In Holland we've got the few first nice spring days and I'm sick at home. My stomache hurts so bad, but I've just been sitting outside in the sun with my sennheisers listening to the entire Helios discography. Haven't had good times like these in a long time.

I've I everm ade music that would be my first track title, few first nice spring days.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Sherbet Head
Scott Pilgrim Box-Set Arrived today! :D
..Now this could affect my project deadlines...

Eagle Minded
s7409651 wrote:Scott Pilgrim Box-Set Arrived today! :D
..Now this could affect my project deadlines...

WANT

Seen the film? It's awesome :) Edgar Wright is a genius!

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground