This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
So the other day i was in the library browsing around, only to have the female librarian come up to me and compliment me on my BoC hoodie, was pretty chuffed! Had a brief chat with her about them, both agreed that it's rare to find fans of their music in person. She's the third women I've come across who knows of them. I know i probably sound overzealous and all, but it's just refreshing to come across them every once in a while.

Happy Cycler
Female BoC fans or BoC fans in general?

Either way I agree !
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm still waiting for that moment when I meet another BOC fan. But I don't think it will ever happen in Indiana. For fucks sake, I haven't even met another radiohead fan!

Dayvan Cowboy
Synthestesia wrote:I'm still waiting for that moment when I meet another BOC fan. But I don't think it will ever happen in Indiana. For fucks sake, I haven't even met another radiohead fan!
For all I know there is only one cool liberal-minded person who goes to my school, and he listen to RnB.

Happy Cycler
It still blows my mind how big America is, hell even one state. Texas is bigger than france? In England you could comfortably drive the length of the country in one day, I kinda like that though.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:It still blows my mind how big America is, hell even one state. Texas is bigger than france? In England you could comfortably drive the length of the country in one day, I kinda like that though.

It's really unfortunate, and it goes hand in hand with the population size.

Sucks for a lot of us, because America now has this unwavering reputation of being a country of fat, lazy, ungrateful shitheads. The unfortunate situation is that when your population is large, your number of shitheads increase and greatly outweigh the good people. They make everyone reasonable look bad, and they pollute much of this useful land and waste it on bullshit, then on top of it all they have absolutely no worry of how bad the situation has grown and is growing, and it won't hit them until we're China 2.

Anyways, sorry for that rant bit there, but yeah, it is absurd how much space there is here. The Americans and Canadians get to make use of it all, meanwhile Central America has almost no land.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
Rodheh wrote:
fujee wrote:It still blows my mind how big America is, hell even one state. Texas is bigger than france? In England you could comfortably drive the length of the country in one day, I kinda like that though.

It's really unfortunate, and it goes hand in hand with the population size.

Sucks for a lot of us, because America now has this unwavering reputation of being a country of fat, lazy, ungrateful shitheads. The unfortunate situation is that when your population is large, your number of shitheads increase and greatly outweigh the good people. They make everyone reasonable look bad, and they pollute much of this useful land and waste it on bullshit, then on top of it all they have absolutely no worry of how bad the situation has grown and is growing, and it won't hit them until we're China 2.

Anyways, sorry for that rant bit there, but yeah, it is absurd how much space there is here. The Americans and Canadians get to make use of it all, meanwhile Central America has almost no land.

What's even worse is the things we did to acquire the land...

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:What's even worse is the things we did to acquire the land...

QFT.

Happy Cycler
Waterbagel wrote:
mechanismj wrote:What's even worse is the things we did to acquire the land...

QFT.

I hate being included in a "WE did it". I am not guilty of something my ancestors did hundreds of years before I was born. It happened. It wasn't right but it happened. How is anyone going to move forward when always thinking about the past? I am not saying to forget. But, It's like going to Germany and yelling at an 18 year old about Adolf Hitler and Third Reich. He had nothing to do with it, don't include him on a "YOU ALL".

My Grandfather killed Japanese soldiers in WWII. Am I responsible or the one to blame for that? No, it had nothing to do with me, sure it's apart of my Family's History, but it's not blood on MY hands.
Last edited by polar sky on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Happy Cycler
Edit: same thing as polar sky

Dayvan Cowboy
So in conclusion:
America is way to big
America is to powerful and such
Humans have nothing to do with what their ancestors did
Any questions?

Happy Cycler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I6xkVRWzCY

What a sound. Coltrane in my eyes the goodness that comes out of spiritual belief, he saw the beauty in all Gods. He transcends all that is beautiful about religion in his later music.

p.s - I am not religious.

Happy Cycler
Synthestesia wrote:So in conclusion:
America is way to big
Any questions?

Many humans may or may not have something to do with any particular issue, that's not the point in this case.

Eagle Minded
Or as I think it is summarized best:

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo
You're gonna carry that weight.

Happy Cycler
Synthestesia wrote:So in conclusion:
America is way to big
Any questions?

No, I said "I" do NOT have anything to do with killing Native Americans. Don't include present day USA in the killings of innocent Natives Americans. Blame the past.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm sorry. I'm not exactly as sharp as a tack.

Happy Cycler
Correction.

Blaming the past.

That is all.

Thank you.

Telepath
If you gonna blame anything, blame the person who wrote this book!

I'm currently looking for websites in which I can search for roommates in the LA area. I feel like I'm signing up for a dating website. So far, I've registered on roommates.com, but it doesn't seem very efficient.

Has anyone signed up for such a website to find roommates that could possibly point me in the direction of some useful sites? I was going to create another topic for this, but figured the random thread might be best suited for initial luck trying.

(Alternatively, if anyone is in LA and looking for roommates....Private Message me. I'd rather shack up with sane Boards of Canada fans).

Dayvan Cowboy
mechanismj wrote:Correction.

Blaming the past.

That is all.

Thank you.

in a way, aren't we still kinda perpetuating the wrongdoing?
when natives/whites first met, two hugely different ways of life conflicted; natives valued tribal belonging. no one individual owned land. sure, tribes had usual hunting grounds.. but the land belonged to everyone and no one. they were of the land.

the whites come along with a different perspective; individual ownership of parcels of land. overconsumption of resources. good 'ole manifest destiny. we enforced our way of life through force and treaties that, nearly as soon as they were verified, would instantly be violated (with the whites doing the violating).

whites forced all that didn't comply onto reservation land (and it was the shittiest land available. especially if it had no extractable resources like gold, other metals, good wood). if it turned out that resources were present in those lands (like the black hills of south dakota, i believe. lots of gold there), we would force the natives there onto different, often worse land. take note that most of these lands the natives were already unaccustomed to.

media treated them like savages until the public believed they were; they thought the same of us. hell, our current governments still won't allow some tribes to return to their native lands. and, aside from the sand creek massacre, many of the battles between the U.S. military and the natives (which, more often than not, were often largely one-sided) were treated as the U.S. retaliating against some wrong done to them by the natives; as if they struck first. take "custer's last stand", for example. he foolishly attempted to surround a group of natives with a low number of not-too-skilled soldiers. he and his soldiers attacked, only to be slaughtered by the natives present. suddenly it's "CUSTER AND HIS MEN IN MASSACRE, SAVAGES LEAVE NO MERCY".

yes, a LOT of it is our ancestry that did some terrible wrongdoings.

HOWEVER.

more could be done to at least try to make things right.

FURTHERMORE.

we're doing the same thing in some other countries. while we aren't trying to expand our actual borders, we sure as hell are trying to secure the right's to everyone's resources.. like nicaragua and the school of america.

sorry for the unsolicited and probably unnecessary history lesson. but, guilt for the past.. while probably not a bad thing, isn't the point.

it's so that we don't repeat our mistakes day in and day out.

EDIT: okay, not the SAME thing in other countries, but the strategy is kinda similar.. take a group of people with different beliefs, enforce our own ideals on them, take-..err.. own their resources, maybe install a puppet government/lapdog, rinse, repeat

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground