This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Anyone on here know much about doing postgraduate studies in the UK?

I want to do more with literature, probably in a few years when I've got more work experience under my belt... but at what point do you really need to start preparing this stuff?

Jus' trollin' for answers, breh.

Dayvan Cowboy
Julian Candy wrote:Are there any techies here that can answer this question?

So i just got my sister's old laptop because my computer is on the fritz and she got a new one. It came with a few problems which have all seemed to have been dealt with, except for one. Whenever an open window changes position on the screen, it lags while it's moving. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Also, might just be a bit slow. Try making sure "show window contents when dragging" is disabled.

Sherbet Head
MrMessiah wrote:
Julian Candy wrote:Are there any techies here that can answer this question?

So i just got my sister's old laptop because my computer is on the fritz and she got a new one. It came with a few problems which have all seemed to have been dealt with, except for one. Whenever an open window changes position on the screen, it lags while it's moving. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Also, might just be a bit slow. Try making sure "show window contents when dragging" is disabled.

How do you do that?

Dayvan Cowboy
Depends on the version of Windows... XP it's
* rightclick the desktop
* select "properties" (which takes you to "Display properties", if you're not on XP, start off looking for that and go from there)
* go to appearance tab
* click "effects" and it's under there

Sherbet Head
Treefingers wrote:I want to do more with literature, probably in a few years when I've got more work experience under my belt... but at what point do you really need to start preparing this stuff?

in terms of what?x

Sherbet Head
Just saw The Monkees perform today, very excellent show.

Dayvan Cowboy
That sexy moment when Chris Clark appears in the 'People you may know' bit on Facebook.

Sherbet Head
jakestott wrote:That sexy moment when Chris Clark appears in the 'People you may know' bit on Facebook.

made me think of clark kent. which made me think of smallville. which made me think of the other morning when i watched it. how is lois lane still an idiot 20yrs later??

TaoTapeTao wrote:

I'm currently writing a series of short stories- one story right now about a guy living in the near future hooked on a psychedelic dissociative thats really addictive and he also is a dealer of the drug and gets caught in all sorts of insanity and meets transdimensional creatures in bouts of delirium and talks philosophy and nonsense with them, one including a giant cockroach....

He gets entangled with a drug kingpin and finds himself being chased and watched by really strange people and his paranoid drug delusions begin to add up and he loses his shit and the story spins out of control. Also the speaker/narrator is entangled within the story so the reading itself is altered by what goes on in the text. I've been having so much fun writing this lately.

i wish we read your stuff in my short narrative class! sounds more interesting than some of the drivel we have to read :)xx

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:
jakestott wrote:That sexy moment when Chris Clark appears in the 'People you may know' bit on Facebook.

made me think of clark kent. which made me think of smallville. which made me think of the other morning when i watched it. how is lois lane still an idiot 20yrs later??

TaoTapeTao wrote:

I'm currently writing a series of short stories- one story right now about a guy living in the near future hooked on a psychedelic dissociative thats really addictive and he also is a dealer of the drug and gets caught in all sorts of insanity and meets transdimensional creatures in bouts of delirium and talks philosophy and nonsense with them, one including a giant cockroach....

He gets entangled with a drug kingpin and finds himself being chased and watched by really strange people and his paranoid drug delusions begin to add up and he loses his shit and the story spins out of control. Also the speaker/narrator is entangled within the story so the reading itself is altered by what goes on in the text. I've been having so much fun writing this lately.

i wish we read your stuff in my short narrative class! sounds more interesting than some of the drivel we have to read :)xx

hahaha thank you... if you're interested I could shoot you a rough copy of some of it at some point... mebbe lol. but yeah some of the reading in my classes can be really dull. What sort of stuff are you reading for the class?
endlessly manifold, self contained revealed, replete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfU5SOlSf8

http://maketapesounds.bandcamp.com/

Sherbet Head
TaoTapeTao wrote:
louise wrote:

TaoTapeTao wrote:

hahaha thank you... if you're interested I could shoot you a rough copy of some of it at some point... mebbe lol. but yeah some of the reading in my classes can be really dull. What sort of stuff are you reading for the class?

ooh please do, thatd be awesome :)x

we've been reading things from sudden fiction international & the book of american short stories. just wrote an essay about peter carey's 'american dreams' aswell. i think its the seminar that destroys the interest in them tbh, its so dull. so much overanalysing. what kind of stuff do you cover??X

Dayvan Cowboy
okay cool I'll message you a text file soon :).. It's only part of the first bit which still needs a lot of work.

But anywho right now I've got two different lit classes which mostly cover a lot of poetry (ie shakespeare marvell petrarch :?) and then the rest is for the most part American- a lot of postmodernism like T.S. Eliot or William Faulkner or the like. some of that stuff is damned interesting but they also purposely write to make it hard to follow... so it can be frustrating lol.

I know what you mean about overanalyzing though- my lecture is soooo dull and even though I enjoy some of the reading I can't be bothered to follow what the professor is going on about lol.

Sherbet Head
TaoTapeTao wrote:okay cool I'll message you a text file soon :).. It's only part of the first bit which still needs a lot of work.

But anywho right now I've got two different lit classes which mostly cover a lot of poetry (ie shakespeare marvell petrarch :?) and then the rest is for the most part American- a lot of postmodernism like T.S. Eliot or William Faulkner or the like. some of that stuff is damned interesting but they also purposely write to make it hard to follow... so it can be frustrating lol.

I know what you mean about overanalyzing though- my lecture is soooo dull and even though I enjoy some of the reading I can't be bothered to follow what the professor is going on about lol.

ahh cheers, ill keep an eye out for it :)
ive got 4 lit classes including poetry & 1 language class. american lit isnt my thing really, much prefer english & european. not entirely sure why if im honest, just preference. one of my classes is gothic literature atm, mary shelley, bronte sisters that kinda stuff. definitely the fave :)xx

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:
Treefingers wrote:I want to do more with literature, probably in a few years when I've got more work experience under my belt... but at what point do you really need to start preparing this stuff?

in terms of what?x

I'm thinking of looking more in postmodernism. Big fan of Pynchon, Murakami, Vonnegut, etc.

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:
TaoTapeTao wrote:okay cool I'll message you a text file soon :).. It's only part of the first bit which still needs a lot of work.

ive got 4 lit classes including poetry & 1 language class. american lit isnt my thing really, much prefer english & european. not entirely sure why if im honest, just preference. one of my classes is gothic literature atm, mary shelley, bronte sisters that kinda stuff. definitely the fave :)xx

as promised I sent that but yeah I need to take more european lit stuff and get outside of American lit. I've been stuck with that stuff for too long and there's some of it I love but a great deal of American lit is really boring lol.

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:

I'm going to nerd out and ask if your gothic literature class has involved Freud's theory on the uncanny.

Because it's probably one of my favourite bits of theory - probably alongside Roland Barthes' stuff about the death of the author, and Linda Hutcheon's stuff on historiographic metafiction.

NERDIN' OUT

Sherbet Head
TaoTapeTao wrote: as promised I sent that but yeah I need to take more european lit stuff and get outside of American lit. I've been stuck with that stuff for too long and there's some of it I love but a great deal of American lit is really boring lol.

hmm ive not received anything yet..? and yes european is sooo much better :)X

Treefingers wrote: I'm going to nerd out and ask if your gothic literature class has involved Freud's theory on the uncanny.

Because it's probably one of my favourite bits of theory - probably alongside Roland Barthes' stuff about the death of the author, and Linda Hutcheon's stuff on historiographic metafiction.

NERDIN' OUT

not in the gothic class but we do that stuff in critical studies :) just finished two summary essays about death of the author and saussure's linguistics last night for it actually. i like the theoretical stuff, its nice to write about.xx

Happy Cycler
I love Bjorks voice, not only her singing voice but her accent/talking voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj76IdQFzU8
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Sherbet Head
fujee wrote:I love Bjorks voice, not only her singing voice but her accent/talking voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj76IdQFzU8

her accent does to me what south african does. i cant keep up with the pattern, its all weird.xx

Happy Cycler
Her r's are amazing. Beautiful accent.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
Bjork does indeed have amazing r's ;)

Sorry.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground