This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I feel like I should mention that I was in a Waterstone's recently and, once again, found myself really attracted to a fellow customer.

Have two strangers ever actually met and gone on to 'hit it off' in this environment, or is it those twee sort of films starring Zooey Deschanel (*insert lovesick sigh here*) just teasing me by making me think it's the sort of thing that could happen?

If so, do not hesitate to explain how. In FULL DETAIL (feel free to include diagrams and tables, if necessary).

Dayvan Cowboy
Treefingers wrote:I feel like I should mention that I was in a Waterstone's recently and, once again, found myself really attracted to a fellow customer.

Have two strangers ever actually met and gone on to 'hit it off' in this environment, or is it those twee sort of films starring Zooey Deschanel (*insert lovesick sigh here*) just teasing me by making me think it's the sort of thing that could happen?

If so, do not hesitate to explain how. In FULL DETAIL (feel free to include diagrams and tables, if necessary).

I'm no expert in love, and have never been in this situation, but I've been in some situations where I could have gained a new friend from talking to someone standing next to me while browsing in a bookshop.

Just be yourself and talk about whatever comes to mind. If he/she doesn't like you for what you are, then he/she's probably not worth having.

Sherbet Head

Sherbet Head
Treefingers wrote:I feel like I should mention that I was in a Waterstone's recently and, once again, found myself really attracted to a fellow customer.

Of course it happens!! Go talk to them next time! All the millions of people in the world, this is going on all the time. Probably easiest in the queue to pay maybe? I've never done it in a shop but train stations are perfect because everyone is bored and has a fair bit to talk about. But what would you have to lose anyway? No one dislikes finding out someone thinks they're hot!!

Sherbet Head
Well, since it's been about a month I thought I should tell you guys, my trusted Twoism homeboys, That I, Julian Candy....

*drumroll*

Have been talking to a girl, via email that is.

Happy Cycler

Yeah...that was pretty fucking awesome.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:

Of course it happens!! Go talk to them next time! All the millions of people in the world, this is going on all the time. Probably easiest in the queue to pay maybe? I've never done it in a shop but train stations are perfect because everyone is bored and has a fair bit to talk about. But what would you have to lose anyway? No one dislikes finding out someone thinks they're hot!!

I guess I could. Just to figure out a way of being able to talk to someone without being ridiculously shy and awkward (possibly resulting in anxious conspiratorial yelpings), haha.

Happy Cycler
^ go for it. A book shop is ideal as you already have a "thing" to talk about and open a conversation with.

The worst thing that can happen is that you make a bit of a tit of yourself for a few seconds with someone you'll probably never see again. The best possible outcome is.... well let's just say it's worth a gamble ;)

Many years ago I decided to strike up a conversation with someone who I often saw on the same bus as me. As it turns out nothing exciting happened, but we got on and went for coffee & drinks a few times. It was nice.

Sherbet Head
This man does some amazing impressions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpf99tOKShs

Dayvan Cowboy
A_Northern_Soul wrote: The best possible outcome is.... well let's just say it's worth a gamble ;)

I'm going to have to teach myself to keep this in mind, instead of automatically going to "people are impossible to talk to" in my head. :D

Dayvan Cowboy
Treefingers wrote:
A_Northern_Soul wrote: The best possible outcome is.... well let's just say it's worth a gamble ;)

I'm going to have to teach myself to keep this in mind, instead of automatically going to "people are impossible to talk to" in my head. :D

Sherbet Head
Amo Bishop Roden: Published writer :D
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Eagle Minded
You guys seem to be knowledge-y, what's a good way to extract movie files from DVDs, like .avi or something. TECHNOLOGY!
You're gonna carry that weight.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm from the streets... and I'm the LAAAAASST cop you want to meet in a darkened alley -- dark alley

Posts Quantity
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Amo Bishop Roden: Published writer :D

No shit? Extrapolate!

Sherbet Head
Beavercanoe wrote:
Amo Bishop Roden wrote:Amo Bishop Roden: Published writer :D

No shit? Extrapolate!

It's not a huge deal to the rest of the world, but it sort of is at my university. We publish a yearly literary/art magazine, and I made it in! It actually is an award-winning publication, and everyone and their mother submits pieces to it, so being selected feels pretty good, especially considering only a few poems make it in every year. Needless to say I'm very excited, and am hoping to stretch out into the real world soon!
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Happy Cycler
OverTheHorizonRadar wrote:You guys seem to be knowledge-y, what's a good way to extract movie files from DVDs, like .avi or something. TECHNOLOGY!

Well, there's a program called SUPER © that'll convert just about anything, so you could use it to convert the actual .VOB file containing the video to whatever you want, but honestly it'd just be faster to torrent a rip of whatever it is you're trying to rip yourself.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm watching yesterday's Pointless and the contestant I was smitten with has been sent off in the first round.

I think I need to get a job or a social life or something.

Eagle Minded
Thank you sir Rod.

On a more somber note, R.I.P. Storm Thorgerson. He designed some of my favorite album art, and certainly a good majority of the world would recognize some.
You're gonna carry that weight.

Boqurant
^^^ Sad news. I Looked through his work and he's behind a near ridiculous amount of iconic album art.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground