This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
ratatat tat that ass

Friendly Stranger
nick47 wrote:So I learned that this exists today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYho56INKU

that is one fucking cool instrument

Fuck yeah! A Theremin!!! :!: :!: :!:

Friendly Stranger
rainier wrote:Last night I had one of my apocalyptic recurring nightmares where I'm looking up in the sky and see a shooting star and it's amazing, then all of a sudden all this crazy weird alien stuff starts happening in the sky and I'm filled with a cold sense of dread and I know something horrible is about to happen and everyone is looking up at the sky like "what the fuck is going on?"

I hate that fucking nightmare.

I'm so sorry about your nightmare! I suffer from severely bad nightmares too. I remember them forever. My third eye won't shut the fuck up. My pineal gland is overactive and my imagination is scary as FUCK!

Biggest snuggly hugs for you!! That's what I need after a nightmare and never fucking get :?

So, I'm sending you a hug. I hope you can feel it! Feel me? lol, also im drunk so ive been reduced to a babbling idiot. and you know, im a dork.

This reminds me though, years ago, the news was mentioning this amazing once in a lifetime meteor shower. I was alone. I went on the roof. I watched these shooting stars wiz through our atmosphere. I was so scared, yet so amazed. Absolutely stunned. Since then I have dreams about much creepier meteor showers. I'll never see one like that again while I'm awake, but DAMN that shit was so scary and so awe inspiring at the same time. Trippy as hell! whew!

i dont even make sense to myself im so drunk :?

-more hugs-

Happy Cycler
nick47 wrote:So I learned that this exists today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYho56INKU

that is one fucking cool instrument

Now you know what that noise is on the chorus of Good Vibrations :)

Also check out the Ondes Martenot, an even cooler instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9UBjrUjwo

Also there is a whole symphony written for it by Olivier Messiaen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du6M96E8KyE
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
Bloody hell I cannot wait for Mad Men season 7
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Borné dans sa nature, infini dans ses vœux, l'homme est un dieu tombé qui se souvient des cieux.

Dayvan Cowboy

Sherbet Head
I might be a witch?

I am always looking for good paper to wheatpaste with, and I realized the other day reciept tape would be great, but I was like "too bad it isn't bigger". Then today at work the head cashier was like "oh hey I hear you like to draw, well we got all this paper for the wedding registry kiosk, but it doesn't fit and we're just gonna throw it out so do you want it for scrap paper?"

And what it is is actually a giant roll of reciept tape about 12 inches across. I got like, 800 yards of it.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Happy Cycler
find a broom and try to fly.

Do you have a black cat?

Sherbet Head
No black cat to call my own, but I have an all black feral buddy who'll give me the ole headbonk if I put my fist out, which is a big deal with this feral colony because they're mostly hella skittish.

By Salem standards I should have been burned last week.

I can also balance an egg perfectly on my head. I don't know why I ever tested this, but surely it's witchcraft.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dayvan Cowboy
Has anyone here ever had temporomandibular joint disorder (it's a joint on the side of yr jaw)? My slightly stiff jaw is I think affecting my left ear quite a bit (sensitivity to noise; general aching). How easy is it to sort out?

Treefingers wrote:Has anyone here ever had temporomandibular joint disorder (it's a joint on the side of yr jaw)? My slightly stiff jaw is I think affecting my left ear quite a bit (sensitivity to noise; general aching). How easy is it to sort out?

Yes and fairly recently too, funnily enough. Had it for quite a while, but it got so bad recently I finally went to the Docs. Was given a printout about it. Let me see if I can find it..

The good news is that is seems to sort itself out eventually, although it can take quite a while :?

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:
Treefingers wrote:Has anyone here ever had temporomandibular joint disorder (it's a joint on the side of yr jaw)? My slightly stiff jaw is I think affecting my left ear quite a bit (sensitivity to noise; general aching). How easy is it to sort out?

Yes and fairly recently too, funnily enough. Had it for quite a while, but it got so bad recently I finally went to the Docs. Was given a printout about it. Let me see if I can find it..

The good news is that is seems to sort itself out eventually, although it can take quite a while :?

Did it make you a bit more sensitive to loud sounds, and give you earache? The possibility that my ears might be getting permanently messed up is getting me irrationally panicky. I'm going to sort a doctor's appointment for it soon - it was bad last year and I just had to take ibuprofen to get the swelling down to make it possible for me to eat, but it seems to be just more passively irritating this time.

That's quite good news though; cheers, man! :D

Not as I recall but the stiffness/soreness got very bad. Couldn't eat solid food at one point. The swelling made things very uncomfortable. Apparently nobody's certain as to what causes it either, which means you're limited to 'take Ibuprofen and chew on the other side' - but by all means visit your doc too.

Sadly it looks like I've binned that leaflet but if I find it I'll upload for you.

Good luck! :wink:

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
An ant bit my toe today.

Happy Cycler
You guys who have gotten over girls (or vice versa, whatever) what's the best way to go about forgetting a girl and what you think of them?

I've been trying to forget for about a year but it doesn't work. I'll always watch a film or listen to music which reminds me.

I've even tried avoiding the material that makes me think of 'em but it doesn't work. It's like a black hole my mind gets sucked into when I have no stimulation.

How do I forget. I need an eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

The Telepathic Kid wrote:You guys who have gotten over girls (or vice versa, whatever) what's the best way to go about forgetting a girl and what you think of them?

I've been trying to forget for about a year but it doesn't work. I'll always watch a film or listen to music which reminds me.

I've even tried avoiding the material that makes me think of 'em but it doesn't work. It's like a black hole my mind gets sucked into when I have no stimulation.

How do I forget. I need an eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.

Been there a dozen times at least. The honest answer is: (1) keep busy, (2) accept it'll take time and (3) (eventually) finding someone else.

Sounds simplistic, almost facetious, but these are the only things that work in my experience.

Trying to forget someone you cared about is an exercise in futility and will only bring you down. It'll take it's own time and there's not a great deal you can do to shortcut that route. If you care, you won't truly forget, you'll just care a little less over time. Equally, finding another person to have feelings for can seem almost repulsive when you're still trying to move on from someone else, so don't go diving in too early. But it does get easier eventually so hang in there. I think my record for getting over someone properly (my first wife) was around 4 years.

In the meantime, accept the rollercoaster and try your best to keep busy with other things. Again, sounds almost patronising I know, but there you go. To quote Mark Everett - It's a Motherfucker.

Good luck, sincerely.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
thats the thing.

People say I still got a shot. It's my brain that says "no".

I probably should have said I still see this gal fairly regularly, and would consider myself in the "friend zone" (though others wouldn't)

Nothing has come between us to sour the relationship, and hell I may even call her in like 5-10 years and try to meet up

But right now I don't feel I'm right, and as thus want to forget her as a possible romantic and sexual partner, and see her purely as platonic.

I guess that's a different beast, I'm sorry for not explaining before but of course I didn't want this post to be like, 5 pages long.

Boqurant
What Mexicola said.

Time is what will help most. Also focus on yourself - basically being good to yourself, if that makes any sense.

In a way you will never forget, but you eventually will be in a mental space where you know it's time to move on and move ahead. You may meet someone new or something else will fire your interests.
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Count Chroma: https://soundcloud.com/countchroma

Sherbet Head
I wish there was a magic brain erase thing too, but it just takes time unfortunately. I usually try to throw myself into projects I've been meaning to do but haven't gotten around to. I NEVER thought I'd get over one of my exes, and we've remained good friends the entire time we've been broken up, and now I can't imagine feeling that way about him AT ALL, but it used to be all I thought about, day and night. It just took time and focusing little bits of my energy elsewhere.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground