This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
My nana lived with us for about a year before she died when I was between the ages of 2 and 3. A lot of my first vague memories of life revolve around her, not so much incidences but more like images and impressions. Apparently we were thick as thieves. I don't remember her dying specifically, I just remember the feeling of confusion and sadness that she wasn't around anymore.

All my life every person who knew her has told me how similar I am to her. It's kind of uncanny, so many of the same hobbies and tastes and mannerisms. It's crazy to me how I can be so much like someone I only knew for a brief time when I was a baby.

Anyway, my mom just sent me a box of all her old almost finished knitting and crochet projects. Like me she made hundreds of projects but hated weaving in the ends and sewing buttons etc. Now I'm putting all those final little touches on her projects and it's a nice feeling. I wish I could have known her longer.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

rainier wrote:My nana lived with us for about a year before she died when I was between the ages of 2 and 3. A lot of my first vague memories of life revolve around her, not so much incidences but more like images and impressions. Apparently we were thick as thieves. I don't remember her dying specifically, I just remember the feeling of confusion and sadness that she wasn't around anymore.

All my life every person who knew her has told me how similar I am to her. It's kind of uncanny, so many of the same hobbies and tastes and mannerisms. It's crazy to me how I can be so much like someone I only knew for a brief time when I was a baby.

Anyway, my mom just sent me a box of all her old almost finished knitting and crochet projects. Like me she made hundreds of projects but hated weaving in the ends and sewing buttons etc. Now I'm putting all those final little touches on her projects and it's a nice feeling. I wish I could have known her longer.

Thanks for sharing this. I lost my Mam in February, and one of the hardest things to deal with is knowing that my daughter wasn't even a year old at the time. They met one another and I have photos and a short video of them together which is quite literally priceless to me. I just wish they could have had longer to get to know each other. Breaks my heart.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
interesting. My grandparents are moving to Dubbo (the small country town in which I was born and raised) in a few weeks, to be closer to my mother.
They're in their early 80's and still rather independent. Where they're moving to is like an elderly village. Not a retirement home but like a bunch of houses which my grandparents will have company and other people their age to hang out with.

It's really the beginning of the end. But I'm 21, I'm lucky to have had the only two grandparents I know for as long as I have.

My mother never married and I've never met my biological father, so no second set of gp's for me, sadly.

Happy Cycler
It's one of my biggest regrets (not that I could do anything about it) that I never got to know any of my grandparents as an adult - they had all died by the time I was 15. I'd love the chance to go for a pint with my granddads.

My Dad always used to ask his Dad to write his WW2 memories and stories down; he wouldn't do it, but was persuaded to record them to cassette. I remember listening to them as a kid and liking all the boys-own adventures, but listening again as an adult, I got a real sense of the man he was and some of the things he went through - on turn hilarious, harrowing and heartbreaking.

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:
Thanks for sharing this. I lost my Mam in February, and one of the hardest things to deal with is knowing that my daughter wasn't even a year old at the time. They met one another and I have photos and a short video of them together which is quite literally priceless to me. I just wish they could have had longer to get to know each other. Breaks my heart.

Sorry for your loss. It wasn't until a few years ago when I realized I wanted to be a mom (before then I had zero desire) that's I really started thinking about family connections. I think how strange but nice it must be for my mom to see her own mother reflected in her daughter, and I think how I'd feel if my children never really got to know my parents.

My paternal grandparents were very cold and I wasn't so close to them, but my brother mentioned the other day how we kind of lucked out with a bonus grandma, our neighbor's gran was the absolute best. She treated us just like we were her own, especially me since I was a girl and she had no biological granddaughters.

She lived in London during the blitz and I remember her stories about wwII blew my mind. She used to always buy me really old fashioned girl things like gloves and little church hats. I used to always "run away from home" when I got upset, and I'd just go over to her house and sit in the garden and help her wind her yarn and listen to her stories. It's weird that it took me so long to really appreciate how special these types of relationships are.
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dayvan Cowboy

The House On Cuckoo Lane
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Twatstrips

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:Twatstrips

sounds like a trashy grindhouse exploitation flick.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Sherbet Head
Mexicola wrote:Twatstrips

I've always preferred "shitstrips" myself. This post reminded me that I could get these things off my wall, so thank you for that :D
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Posts Quantity
for some reason i can't post anything, no matter what i do i get an empty preview. alright great so in this thread it seems to work.

Boqurant
How is there not much mention of the movie Gravity here?
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Count Chroma: https://soundcloud.com/countchroma

Happy Cycler
futureling wrote:How is there not much mention of the movie Gravity here?

Probably because it was extremely overrated.

I mean, I liked it, but let's flip those rotten tomatoes numbers around from a 97 to a 79. There, there's Gravity's real score.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
people are stupid

everything's overrated

everything's underrated

to call something one or the other is overrated

I greatly enjoyed Gravity, 9/10

Boqurant
I saw it last night in 3D.

I really enjoyed it - sure it is not 2001 ASO, but it was well done pop sci-fi.
“The most exquisite paradox… as soon as you give it all up, you can have it all. As long as you want power, you can't have it. The minute you don't want power, you'll have more than you ever dreamed possible.”
― Ram Dass

Happy Cycler
futureling wrote:I saw it last night in 3D.

I really enjoyed it - sure it is not 2001 ASO, but it was well done pop sci-fi.

I don't even think 2001 deserves its rating entirely, but that's mainly my point.

I guess people are stupid for having standards? When was the last 9/10 film released REALLY? With 10 being FLAWLESS. It's the top of the rating scale. What I think is stupid is when people like things to some degree and then give it like a 7/8/9/10 out of 10 on a whim and do it on a regular basis while simultaneously seeing a rating like 5/10 as bad as opposed to what logically it should be - totally average. I think for something to achieve even an 8 it has to consist of more than a liberal amount of CGI, made for 3D shots (however realistic they might look) that string together only a handful of really interesting moments - that's just me though.

My issue with Gravity besides what I stated above largely has to do with the fact that the majority of it is dialogue, and it fails to establish an emotional connection with the audience, at least that's what I and my friends thought. I didn't really care what the characters had to say because I did not know them. Gravity felt like a film that started halfway through. We did not have the opportunity to watch as the characters developed and begin to really feel for them.

There's other space movies, like Moon for a great example, that do not have this issue. I tend to prefer them.

There, there's some discussion about Gravity. It was okay. Probably a 6/10 for me, mostly for the latter half of the film.
Last edited by Jonse on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boqurant
I don't know really what a 10/10 film is. I can't say I'm qualified to even rate one - only via my personal rating. I do know what I enjoy - and yeah I had some groans about Gravity (like Clooney coming back and the predictability of Sandra Bullock surviving such impossible circumstances). But I still nevertheless enjoyed the movie.
― Ram Dass

Happy Cycler
futureling wrote:I don't know really what a 10/10 film is. I can't say I'm qualified to even rate one

That's the outlook I have regarding every form of art in existence. It's all subjectivity but honestly I just see it in the sense that considering a 10/10 is the ceiling of a rating system where you cannot possibly go any higher, it should be reserved for something impeccable. Something so good and literally without flaw you achieve some sort of high or zen state from it after just one exposure. Something that resonates for years and has a profound impact on your life in some form. Something where you cannot find a single criticism to make about it because it doesn't exist to you and would be completely contrived. That's a 10 for me, something that does all these together - I've yet to encounter one, in any form of art. Have encountered some very few 9.9's - i.e. Geogaddi is a 9.9 album for me, but that one little fraction of the score makes a tremendous difference. As good as a 9.9 is, there's always something however minute that I feel could have been better.

Happy Cycler
Rodheh wrote:I guess people are stupid for having standards? When was the last 9/10 film released REALLY? With 10 being FLAWLESS. It's the top of the rating scale. What I think is stupid is when people like things to some degree and then give it like a 7/8/9/10 out of 10 on a whim and do it on a regular basis while simultaneously seeing a rating like 5/10 as bad as opposed to what logically it should be - totally average. I think for something to achieve even an 8 it has to consist of more than a liberal amount of CGI, made for 3D shots (however realistic they might look) that string together only a handful of really interesting moments - that's just me though.
There, there's some discussion about Gravity. It was okay. Probably a 6/10 for me, mostly for the latter half of the film.

the last 10/10 film was released 2 years ago, Drive. Seen it about 5-6 times in the past year or so. I can safely put it on my top 10 of all time.

But you know what, to an extent, I agree. If I watch a film and I think it's just simply good I'll give it a 5. People think I'm a "harsh critic" but they're handing out 8's and 9's like they're apples 'n' oranges.
I'm even harsher with music.

But in particular with Gravity, the dialogue may have not been on point, but the way it's layered with visual metaphors, the way the film is like an old sci fi b-movie but has this elegance and grandiose nature, and sheer weight of the situation put on the viewer.
It does a lot of things differently and I rightly applaud it. I feel it's much much more than good CGI. Don't worry, you're like my friend, he thought the exact same thing and gave it a 3/10. We had a discussion about it afterwards.

I also agree with your second post regarding pieces of work which can or cannot be considered 10/10 after a period of time. All the albums I would give a 10 to have needed a fair bit of time to sit with me, except for last year's Tame Impala release, but that hit me so hard in terms of what I like in music. Kinda like Drive, it takes all the elements which I like in that particular artform and just gets them all correct. It's weird to say but Lonerism is in my personal top 15 of all time, and I'm usually against such a taboo as putting an album which I heard less than a year ago on such a list.

Happy Cycler
The Telepathic Kid wrote:
Rodheh wrote:I guess people are stupid for having standards? When was the last 9/10 film released REALLY? With 10 being FLAWLESS. It's the top of the rating scale. What I think is stupid is when people like things to some degree and then give it like a 7/8/9/10 out of 10 on a whim and do it on a regular basis while simultaneously seeing a rating like 5/10 as bad as opposed to what logically it should be - totally average. I think for something to achieve even an 8 it has to consist of more than a liberal amount of CGI, made for 3D shots (however realistic they might look) that string together only a handful of really interesting moments - that's just me though.

the last 10/10 film was released 2 years ago, Drive. Seen it about 5-6 times in the past year or so. I can safely put it on my top 10 of all time.

But you know what, to an extent, I agree. If I watch a film and I think it's just simply good I'll give it a 5. People think I'm a "harsh critic" but they're handing out 8's and 9's like they're apples 'n' oranges.
I'm even harsher with music.

But in particular with Gravity, the dialogue may have not been on point, but the way it's layered with visual metaphors, the way the film is like an old sci fi b-movie but has this elegance and grandiose nature, and sheer weight of the situation put on the viewer.
It does a lot of things differently and I rightly applaud it. I feel it's much much more than good CGI. Don't worry, you're like my friend, he thought the exact same thing and gave it a 3/10. We had a discussion about it afterwards.

I also agree with your second post regarding pieces of work which can or cannot be considered 10/10 after a period of time. All the albums I would give a 10 to have needed a fair bit of time to sit with me, except for last year's Tame Impala release, but that hit me so hard in terms of what I like in music. Kinda like Drive, it takes all the elements which I like in that particular artform and just gets them all correct. It's weird to say but Lonerism is in my personal top 15 of all time, and I'm usually against such a taboo as putting an album which I heard less than a year ago on such a list.

Don't think I'm quite like your friend because I felt it had more merit for atmosphere and cinematography (again, particularly in the latter half of the film) and wouldn't have been so cynical as to give it a 6/10. I thought it was a good film. I just didn't think it was 97% good mainly.

Telepath
The Telepathic Kid wrote:
Rodheh wrote:I guess people are stupid for having standards? When was the last 9/10 film released REALLY? With 10 being FLAWLESS.

*chews in knuckles*

OOOOWWWHHHH!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground