This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Maybe people feel trapped, like it isn't worth sticking your head above the parapet, there's too much to lose.
A lot of music and other art now feels like it's to further a career option - maybe a bit edgy but not too difficult, got to keep paying the mortgage. This isn't really a criticism - I can see that pressure - the high cost of living, everyone set against each other, none of the old certainties of job security and so on.
Whereas uncertainty in the past might have bred creativity, now it seems to breed fear and conformity.

Happy Cycler
^ I think that is absolutely bang on.

Happy Cycler
Yeah, I totally agree. Well articulated post albeit incredibly frustrating in it's truth.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
I want to be your friend

Dayvan Cowboy
there are interesting people doing interesting things everywhere. one of the advantages of the internet is that we can all communicate with each other now.

if you think your local (/national/global/whatever) scene is getting stagnant, you can always do something about it. form a band, make a zine, whatever you want to do. stand on top of a large building and scream 'fuck unoriginality' if that's how you want to do things.

i used to think that there was nothing 'interesting' going on and that i was born in the wrong generation etc etc etc. then i started meeting new people and going to shows and doing stuff and now i have faith in the world and i see that not everything is kesha.
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Happy Cycler
I meant more in a general, kinda metaphysical sense. The apathy is collective and not necessarily connected to anything particular such as music or politics. I just get the feeling humans have lost some civic focus. Everyone seems to be feeling this "there is nothing I can do, so I wont" at the moment.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

I generally agree with you, however there are exceptions.
Look at Ukraine tonight for example.

Apathy doesn't seem too prevalent in Kiev right now, I'm very pleased to say.

EDIT: you may recall the C4 documentary 'Don't Look Down' recently, featured the Ukrainian Urban daredevil 'Mustang Wanted'? Over the past few days, he's been finding life on the ground much scarier than life hanging from a tower crane...

Check out his blog and images here.

Some truly incredible images of the revolution in Ukraine, very much from the front line.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Yeah I mostly meant the UK like in my first post. I don't think the UK as a civic unit could even mount a revolution currently. Too many are too self absorbed; most would rather settle for current injustices if it meant they get to keep that ivory back scratcher. The best the UK can do in recent memory is use the unjust killing of a man in Tottenham, in order to go rob up a sports clothing shop in Manchester.

Dayvan Cowboy
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Dayvan Cowboy
This

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/

is worth watching and Jonathan Meades is a colossus among television presenters. He never patronises by masking his obvious intelligence, he just lets it shine through, reminds me of Christopher Hitchens in that way.

jcnporter wrote:This

is worth watching and Jonathan Meades is a colossus among television presenters. He never patronises by masking his obvious intelligence, he just lets it shine through, reminds me of Christopher Hitchens in that way.

Cheers.

10 mins in and already noteworthy for two obscure reasons.

1) is that a truncated/chopped up version of Sundown playing around the 10 min mark???
2) around the 6/7 min mark, Seaton Delaval Hall is about a 10 min walk from where I grew up and where my Father still lives. Contrary to the view presented here, I've always found it a stunningly beautiful building and one of England's best kept secrets. Recently rescued by the National Trust (thankfully), it's well worth a visit if you ever find yourself on Northumberland. The story of the Delaval family is one of legend. True libertines. One day Hollywood will make a movie about them..

EDIT: Arvo Part's Frates sweeping in around 28 mins too. 8)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Watching one of his other shows, The Joy of Essex - in the middle of a bit about utopian communities - fittingly there's a snippet of In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country..

Happy Cycler
Meades is brilliant.

Sherbet Head
ive hibernated so much ive got rickets WHERE THE FUCK IS SPRING ahfhghbsbcbbv

Happy Cycler

That was great 8)

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:

That was great 8)

Part 2 is even better. One of the highlights for me was when he mentions a few artists at the end that are influenced by Brutalism, one of them is Nicolas Moulin, who manipulates photographs. I think his stuff is incredible -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nicol ... 80&bih=600

Happy Cycler
I reminds me of a book I've read called "All the Solid Melts to Air". Similar Modernist overview vibes. Highly recommend. Cheers for the heads up on episode 2.

Dayvan Cowboy
I might go and see Her on my own. I'll have my phone on me, so - as well as the cliched dilemma of whether I'll get funny looks off everyone going to the cinema by myself - I'll have the more unorthodox one of whether it'll feel weirdly like I went on a date with my phone.

I don't post here often enough, yo.

Dayvan Cowboy
Actually I'll probably switch my phone off out of respect to the institution of cinema, so...

http://youtu.be/fRMOO1yDrj4?t=21s

Also, <3 her so much right here

Happy Cycler
Treefingers wrote:
I don't post here often enough, yo.

Definitely, good to have you back man 8)

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground