This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:
Iced Cooly Beatnik wrote:
fujee wrote:Go offline for a week, and come back to a storm in the Boards forum. Anyone care to give a brief account?

1. Someone claims to have rips of all AFOT, OTV2 and R35TT, but they request people donate to their dad's medical bills (he's got cancer)
2. MDG has concerns because the PayPal account is unverified and everything is a bit fishy
3. Tape rips are released and MDG confirms them to just be the normal mp3s cleaned up in audio software, Aesthetics closes the topic.
4. Arguments start (in a different topic) over whether or not MDG is lying, one user gets particularly hostile and mean. Aesthetics finally closes this topic too.
If you read the topics, it'll only make you feel disappointed.

Cheers mate, thought that was the jist.. how bizarre! Hope this persons father will be okay if it is the case he is poorly. However, maybe not a wise idea to tempt the most committed and meticulous fan base in the world. I love to talk and listen BoC but sometimes I do feel less than inclined to read and join in those discussions. Glad I missed it.

Also, yes Mex.. 8)

Yes, thanks for the play by play. Doesn't sound like it's worth reading!

Happy Cycler
I post this not because I really have any interest in his work, but I was wondering about things that are cool to talk about on Twoism and if Moby was one now.

I remember ages ago that a thread about Moby had an entire crowd of people essentially considering it pleb downtempo and it broke out into confrontation. Are we past that now?
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

I fucking love Moby to death and I don't think he's made a bad record, ever. In fact, I own 'em all, a ton of his singles, and a lot of his music made under other aliases. BUT, as a huge Moby fan I can ALSO say that I do think he recycles samples and structures a bit too often, sometimes.

"Last Night" is way too underrated as a dance album, by the way. I highly recommend it. It was way too overlooked. "Destroyed" also has a glorious coffee table book accompaniment that I flip through often. And, of course "Play," "18," and the song "Go" are absolutely brilliance.

Nova Scotia Robot
*Grabs popcorn as I wait for Mexicola to show up*

747Music wrote:*Grabs popcorn as I wait for Mexicola to show up*
HAHAHAHAHA! Mexi <3 He's going to start hating me because I follow Moby and Lily Allen anywhere I go with defense and he comes in ready to swing. I HAVE NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR YOU MEXI!!!

Happy Cycler
747Music wrote:*Grabs popcorn as I wait for Mexicola to show up*

Is he one of those antimobies? :lol:

BOC have started workon the next album then....

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:BOC have started workon the next album then....

"Well, at first it was a bit difficult to get the field recorder to accurately pick up the sound...ultimately we think it was worth sacrificing the neighbouring homes."

Happy Cycler
Grado headphones are best I've ever heard, some say they are too bright.. but once you wear them in, the are phenomenal. Already looking to purchase a higher end model. Wow.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Telepath
I sometimes trip out and fear the floaters in my eyes are parasites. Then I remember they are floaters.

Dayvan Cowboy
okokok first random thread post in a bit with lots of shite to moan about, and other stuff.

First thing today: WTF is this all about? https://soundcloud.com/ryan-block-10/comcastic-service
'murica.

also, does anyone here go to the gym after work? I can't bring myself to do anything other than go straight back to the flat (apartment for USians) come 6pm. I guess if I drove it might be a bit easier as walking there in the constant rain is a big turn off. But I'm still learning so FT.

in unrelated news I am also getting to the stage where I want to move into my own flat, i.e. stop flat sharing, not because i dont like my flatmate but just because I want a second room in which to put my piano, desktop pc, drumkit, and all that fun stuff. yknow get a studio going, start playing with these things again.

speaking of getting a studio going. my friend is looking at renting a disused railway arch from Network Rail and kitting it out as a personal studio. he's a semi professional musician, and he's asked me to front some cash in exchange for being able to use it too. We'd set up something like reaper + cheap 24 channel ADC and maybe rent it out to bands who want to record demos on the cheap, also. It's quite exciting actually and I'm hoping it works out.

Happy Cycler
How are we all? Been away for a couple of weeks. As a comeback, I wrote possibly one of the longest posts in history, so sorry about that.

Haven't been around as I always use Twoism on my iPhone, which died. Using the website rather than the forum app for the first time in years is interesting- who knew: I still had that shot of a wooden eagle sculpture as my avatar. Now replaced.

I've tried to find the app for the forum again, but it doesn't seem to exist any more... Help?!

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:Grado headphones are best I've ever heard, some say they are too bright.. but once you wear them in, the are phenomenal. Already looking to purchase a higher end model. Wow.

They produce highs fantastically. It's just that the low end leaves a lot to be desired at almost any price range.

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:
also, does anyone here go to the gym after work? I can't bring myself to do anything other than go straight back to the flat (apartment for USians) come 6pm. I guess if I drove it might be a bit easier as walking there in the constant rain is a big turn off. But I'm still learning so FT.

in unrelated news I am also getting to the stage where I want to move into my own flat, i.e. stop flat sharing, not because i dont like my flatmate but just because I want a second room in which to put my piano, desktop pc, drumkit, and all that fun stuff. yknow get a studio going, start playing with these things again.

speaking of getting a studio going. my friend is looking at renting a disused railway arch from Network Rail and kitting it out as a personal studio. he's a semi professional musician, and he's asked me to front some cash in exchange for being able to use it too. We'd set up something like reaper + cheap 24 channel ADC and maybe rent it out to bands who want to record demos on the cheap, also. It's quite exciting actually and I'm hoping it works out.

I find it a lot easier to work out after work! I like sleep a little too much to do it in the morning. Always fancied myself as being one of those stubbly almost-a-little-gruff guys that runs on the empty highway that navigates the mountainside I live near but this is getting really specific.

Haven't done that yet, but I'm looking forward to it. all the best.

If you lived over here in Florida I'd take you up on that!

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:...

Do you know anyone who is into rock climbing? I can't stand regular gyms--I'm not a pick up heavy stuff, put it back down kinda guy. It's too regimented, and not fun to me. But I work in the outdoor industry, and climbing gyms are a place to get an awesome workout, in a fun environment, with generally pretty down to earth people. Looks like there's a killer gym possibly near you too--just a thought. http://www.glasgowclimbingcentre.com/

Happy Cycler
Techboy wrote:back to the flat (apartment for USians).

I think pretty much all of us know what a flat is, but...you may have just solved the age old question: if it's not right to call ourselves Americans because Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, El Salvadorians, etc. are also Americans from a geographical standpoint and almost every other country has a demonym that refers to their individual country/state in particular, what do we (those residing the US) call ourselves?

Well, personally I'd opt for "human" because I hate this place but for everyone else...USian.

I have never heard that before.

I've heard Usonian, but not that.

Google returns only an urban dictionary entry using that word in that manner. It's a lot fucking better than Statesian.

Happy Cycler
Rodheh wrote:
fujee wrote:Grado headphones are best I've ever heard, some say they are too bright.. but once you wear them in, the are phenomenal. Already looking to purchase a higher end model. Wow.

They produce highs fantastically. It's just that the low end leaves a lot to be desired at almost any price range.

I have the SR325is model, and I think they handle bass and sub bass great. I know a lot of people prefer a little more boom in their headphone, but I prefer clarity, accuracy and balance, which I think these do almost unrivalled.

Out of interest what's your model of choice Rod?
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:
Rodheh wrote:

I have the SR325is model, and I think they handle bass and sub bass great. I know a lot of people prefer a little more boom in their headphone, but I prefer clarity, accuracy and balance, which I think these do almost unrivalled.

Out of interest what's your model of choice Rod?

Well, my issue was wanting a "flat" sound, and those are known for outstanding highs. There's probably a Grado model that is more akin to what I prefer (like a "GS1000" or a "PS1000", I wouldn't know as I haven't ever used them). I have tried the following Grado and feel the way I mentioned about them:

SR80
SR125i
SR225
SR325i
RS1

The 125i being mine briefly, the 225 borrowed from my dad (mainly because he wanted me to replace the foam) after a thanksgiving who has worked in car audio for a couple decades but dabbles in headphones and the rest belonging to a co-worker of his whom I have visited, kind enough to let me use them for a day or so.

The SR125i I previously owned for a few months though were lacking in regards to the low end compared to competition around the same price range (not talking about artificial bass for more "kick" either, I mean actual reproduction of sound). Sent them back to Amazon when I came to my final decision. The Grado pair was great (even if the foam was a little "eh" - was replaceable anyways) for more ambient music of mine but given that I listen to artists like Boards of Canada or just about anything with percussion, the sound wasn't doing it broadly, however the highs are the greatest I have ever heard (came to that conclusion listening to Zoetrope with the RS1 - scaled down with the models and was still the best with my SR125is in that price range). All were tested on a Cowon X9. Though the highs are appealing, it's utterly irrelevant for me because I like a flat signal where the highs and lows are produced equally.

As I don't have a lot of disposable income, I have some ATH-M50s like many, many other people, and my only complaint with those relates to slightly recessed mids. Highs and lows are very clear and powerful, probably the reason everyone on several forums I go to has them because they are considered some of the best for the price. At CES I actually compared mine to maybe 60-70 different headphones and only one was equal for the same price (an AKG pair). There was a Sennheiser pair that was one hundred dollars more, with only a slight improvement, whic were the only ones within my price range I found better - discounting all of the really expensive headphones, particularly Sennheiser's models (I was able to try an Orpheus and they were absolutely incredible). There were plenty of those that surpassed my ~150-170$ Audiotechnica cans but aside from being ridiculously expensive, I would take nothing above 300 dollars out with me on the go. These are fantastic and while not really cheap are not too expensive that they are beyond replacing, so I have stuck with them. Oddly enough, when I compared the AT headphones to other headphones at the AT booth, even ones slightly more expensive, they still beat them out, and also oddly enough the AT booth did NOT have any of their ATH-Mx0 line showcased. I guess there's a reason they're so popular.

Dayvan Cowboy
Definitely agree on those ATH-M50s. They are real bang for your buck, I bring them wherever I go as they are more portable than other sets and I despise in ears. They also have fantastic build quality, really sturdy. My only complaint is a slightly 'cold' sound, if that even means much.

I've got a pair of HD598s for home listening which, despite looking tacky as hell, are pretty sweet. But I find that Senns tend to lack in the balance department, a lot of focus on the highs. These ones are no exception. It is probably not helped by the fact that they are open backed, but I am not an expert per se so..

Happy Cycler
Yeah no doubt, they are great cans. I owned a pair myself once upon a time, but I gave them to a friend who wanted decent headphones but was broke. So then I got some AKG K240's which are pretty good, flat sound.. and by that I mean they are a fairly faithful representation of the mix; I can see why they are virtually industry standard for monitoring. Once I got my Grado's however I was pretty floored with the clarity and transience from one section to another, I haven't heard detail like it. So now after testing out a few other models, I am going for the RS2i model. I know it's not far in price point from a pair of PS500s but I can't really justify 600/700 quid on a pair of headphones at the moment, and the money I would save in between price points is important. Plus I love that wood casing, it resonates perfectly.

I think the one thing I love about Grado cans is that they really aren't fussy with amplification. They are pretty much universally great driven with any headphone amp. I will keep you posted on how I get on with the RS2i's.

I have found when headphone shopping the problem is it's very difficult to discern what you want when looking for high end equipment, because once you understand the brands to go for, virtually all pairs receive glittering reviews, so you really have to go test them yourself.
Last edited by fujee on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground