This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:I have found when headphone shopping is it's very difficult to discern what you want when looking for high end equipment, because once you understand the brands to go for, virtually all pairs recieve glittering reviews, so you really have to go test them yourself.

It is compounded by the fact that at least for my self, I need a few weeks with a pair of cans to decide whether they are for me!

Happy Cycler
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
fujee wrote:I have found when headphone shopping is it's very difficult to discern what you want when looking for high end equipment, because once you understand the brands to go for, virtually all pairs recieve glittering reviews, so you really have to go test them yourself.

It is compounded by the fact that at least for my self, I need a few weeks with a pair of cans to decide whether they are for me!

Don't we all man, gotta go with that gut reaction I think. After time, you get used to your gear anyway, especially as most headphones have to be "burnt in".
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Anybody in Glasgow for the commonwealth games?

I'm pished off about them mostly because there's been a helicopter diligently flying about the east end (where I live) since I got in from work.

They were running a reduced service on the public transport today (its a public holiday here) and still fucked it up with 20 min delays on some lines by 9am; holy fuck guys if that's how you cope with a reduced service I'm not looking forward to seeing how the next few weeks of extra transport are going to go.

Sherbet Head
making life choices is so hard. im trying to work out/ decide what to do after uni, and its driving me a bit nuts. why does everyone else seem to be born with a solid plan, and im so wishy washy unsure of everything???????? :/

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:making life choices is so hard. im trying to work out/ decide what to do after uni, and its driving me a bit nuts. why does everyone else seem to be born with a solid plan, and im so wishy washy unsure of everything???????? :/

I completely changed career at the age of 33 having done more or less the same job since university. I wasn't exactly in love with that career even from the start (i.e. I didn't know what I really wanted to do either) and in fact grew to hate it, now much happier.
There always seems to be changes and options just round the corner in life, it's only now I'm learning to properly appreciate what I have at this moment.
Also, in many ways I'm a completely different person from even just 10 years ago.
In other words, don't worry about it.

Sherbet Head
jcnporter wrote:
louise wrote:making life choices is so hard. im trying to work out/ decide what to do after uni, and its driving me a bit nuts. why does everyone else seem to be born with a solid plan, and im so wishy washy unsure of everything???????? :/

I completely changed career at the age of 33 having done more or less the same job since university. I wasn't exactly in love with that career even from the start (i.e. I didn't know what I really wanted to do either) and in fact grew to hate it, now much happier.
There always seems to be changes and options just round the corner in life, it's only now I'm learning to properly appreciate what I have at this moment.

yeah my main thing right now is not appreciating where I am right now. I mean, I appreciate it, but I can't shake the feeling that its not enough, if you know what i mean? ill be 27 when i graduate from this course, but additional training will take me to 28. Shame I didnt pull my socks up when i was 16 :roll: but if you were 33 before you were happy with your career i guess there's a bit more room for optimism yet :)

i read something the other day along the lines of life being the stuff that happens while you're busy planning it. which i guess is true. but i absolutely hate making the decisions. i can't make a decision confidently thats for sure :s most of my education stuff has just unfolded so far, but im worried if i leave this decision open i might end up just drifting come the end of uni.

hmm.

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:i read something the other day along the lines of life being the stuff that happens while you're busy planning it. which i guess is true. but i absolutely hate making the decisions. i can't make a decision confidently thats for sure :s most of my education stuff has just unfolded so far, but im worried if i leave this decision open i might end up just drifting come the end of uni.

hmm.

I don't think anyone can make such decisions confidently, unless they're one of those people with an obvious talent.
I suppose my main point was that any decision isn't the be all and end all. I mean I can remember doing my A levels and thinking - everything I've done since primary school has all come down to this - how important it all was, yet now when I look back they seem almost insignificant in terms of the real things that have affected my life.
There's probably a lot to be said for drifting a bit anyway...for me the most important thing in life has been identifying what my real inspirations and passions are, what gives me real satisfaction, and for whatever reasons those only really coalesced in my mind in the past maybe 5-10 years (im 38 now).

Happy Cycler
I think that's pretty much bang on - for most people, it takes a while to work out where you're going and where you want to go.

I've made plenty grand plans over the years, then life happens and plans need to change.

And the idea that everyone else but you knows what they're doing is a myth - *everyone* is winging it.

Happy Cycler
Misunderstandings...

They are a bitch.

I'm really not thinking so much about this now despite the fact this sort of thing still happens often...I'm looking back at old threads where people became offended by just the slightest things (in this case, people trying to earn BoC brownie points, but whatever)...just really nothing to be offended by.

Almost always whenever there's a situation like this I stumble into in life - offline or online - and someone has to clarify their point, it continues, even if the point is clear that there was some sort of misunderstanding.

Do people somehow enjoy being offended or argumentative? I don't see how one could derive any pleasure from that. It all makes it difficult to discern whether or not someone means something in a malicious, neutral or kind manner.

Off-topic (which is still on topic in here): The Mighty Boosh is a terrible show. Those guys might be funny but that TV show just didn't work in my opinion, it had way more misses than hits. There was a moment with Gary Numan that was alright though.

On the matter of British comedies: Look Around You is an excellent satirical show. I still have not finished watching every episode but have purchased the DVDs available.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Happy Cycler
Rodheh wrote:
Do people somehow enjoy being offended or argumentative? .

Yep - there are people who seem to enjoy being offended and others who enjoy being pointlessly provocative. Both annoying.

Off topic from the above, but does anyone else get a little kick when they hear songs on their own regional accent. Always makes me smile a bit.

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:
Rodheh wrote:
Do people somehow enjoy being offended or argumentative? .

Yep - there are people who seem to enjoy being offended and others who enjoy being pointlessly provocative. Both annoying.

Off topic from the above, but does anyone else get a little kick when they hear songs on their own regional accent. Always makes me smile a bit.

Yeah, I just don't understand it. Then the fact that I don't understand it often comes off as me trying to be a troll to other people when I'm not, if I'm telling them that I don't understand it. I just feel like shit, man.

Re accents: I can't say I've had that experience but I think I know what you mean, that is if I'm understanding you correctly. Was sort of a completely different situation where I became accustomed to an accent of a band I was listening to for a long time and then heard other music delivered in the exact same way and not in the typical sense where singers "lose their accents". Nothing from here, because...well, American accents are terrible in my opinion. They're just not interesting whatsoever to me. An educated southern twang from a Hicks-esque individual is quite pleasant, but that's it for me.

I'm unfortunately from a place where our accent is as dull as a butter knife. Glad it isn't going to reflect in any music I'll make in the future thanks to my influences because in practicing my singing voice, I'm starting to sound a great deal similar to JG Thirlwell, which I hope I can retain. Not that the dude sounds Australian very much but he's got sort of a mixed twang to him which I can only assume came from his upbringing and having the first Industrial artists in Britain as a huge influence.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

think I'm perhaps pregnant and carrying a curry-baby. (burp!) :oops:

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
I know this is stating the obvious, but what is happening in Gaza right now is absolutely horrific and makes me so angry.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:I know this is stating the obvious, but what is happening in Gaza right now is absolutely horrific and makes me so angry.

http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affai ... ose-deaths

Heartbreaking and horrific.

I watched this video while also watching my youngest happily playing in the safety of my front room & couldn't help welling up.

Dayvan Cowboy
8 in the morning. Trying to decide if it's worth it to sleep now. Could f--k up my sleep royally for work tomorrow.

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:think I'm perhaps pregnant and carrying a curry-baby. (burp!) :oops:
There's a restaurant in Glasgow...

I tend to find that it gives me a china buffet prince.

Techboy wrote:
Mexicola wrote:think I'm perhaps pregnant and carrying a curry-baby. (burp!) :oops:

:lol: :lol:

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:
Techboy wrote:

:lol: :lol:

I've had similar after visiting King Neptune on Stowell St in Newcastle.

Nova Scotia Robot
I had a dream last night that BoC released a double album. I was so very excited. When I woke up, I was ever so sad. Oh well, I'm gonna go listen to Tomorrow's Harvest now...

Telepath
747Music wrote:I had a dream last night that BoC released a double album. I was so very excited. When I woke up, I was ever so sad. Oh well, I'm gonna go listen to Tomorrow's Harvest now...

Yes! In one of those thick dark brown double jewel-cases like classical cd's in the 80's and yellow/light orange artwork? I had the same dream once.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground