THE ANGRY RANT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
My weeks old 2TB external hard drive, which I copied lots of precious music on to, including some stuff which I had no where else other than that drive is seemingly not wanting to play ball. It shows up in device manager, and appears in disk management.. but as an unknown disk. When I try to access it, I get messages saying 'the device is not ready'. Yet when I run a diagnostics on the HD it says it is working correctly? What the hell is going on, I've been scouring the net for solutions, nothing. So aggravating for someone with admittedly little patience. GAH.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:My weeks old 2TB external hard drive, which I copied lots of precious music on to, including some stuff which I had no where else other than that drive is seemingly not wanting to play ball. It shows up in device manager, and appears in disk management.. but as an unknown disk. When I try to access it, I get messages saying 'the device is not ready'. Yet when I run a diagnostics on the HD it says it is working correctly? What the hell is going on, I've been scouring the net for solutions, nothing. So aggravating for someone with admittedly little patience. GAH.
You should plug it into a linux machine and see if it has any more luck, it's a bit less strict about the file system. But make sure to mount it read only, that's very important. You might also have more luck by removing it from the external hard drive case and plugging it in directly using SATA. PhotoRec is a tool which will scan the raw data for files, it's not 100% successful. Lesson learned tho: If it's important back it up more than once. Tarsnap is good for this. I back stuff up onto a ~7 quid a month 1TB server from OVH - http://www.kimsufi.com/uk/ It requires some manual setup but it's a lot more flexible..

Happy Cycler
Techboy wrote:
fujee wrote:My weeks old 2TB external hard drive, which I copied lots of precious music on to, including some stuff which I had no where else other than that drive is seemingly not wanting to play ball. It shows up in device manager, and appears in disk management.. but as an unknown disk. When I try to access it, I get messages saying 'the device is not ready'. Yet when I run a diagnostics on the HD it says it is working correctly? What the hell is going on, I've been scouring the net for solutions, nothing. So aggravating for someone with admittedly little patience. GAH.

You should plug it into a linux machine and see if it has any more luck, it's a bit less strict about the file system. But make sure to mount it read only, that's very important. You might also have more luck by removing it from the external hard drive case and plugging it in directly using SATA. PhotoRec is a tool which will scan the raw data for files, it's not 100% successful. Lesson learned tho: If it's important back it up more than once. Tarsnap is good for this. I back stuff up onto a ~7 quid a month 1TB server from OVH - http://www.kimsufi.com/uk/ It requires some manual setup but it's a lot more flexible..

Cheers dude, great advice. Definitely going to be using that website now. Now I have to find a linux machine, was tempted to install it on my old laptop. The problem I have is if I take it out of the case I void the warranty, which is bad because if it does turn out to be dead I want to refund it. Though I want to get my data back too, bit of a catch 22. I'm going to get my step brother to look at it as he fixed my old HD problem. It's so bizarre, Windows acknowledges it in device manager, the sound is heard when plugged in and you can feel the disc running inside but it doesn't allow me to do anything in disk management. I tried a Y cable to deliver more power but nothing.. doesn't work in other computers too, but I am convinced the data is not lost.. I never saw an error message. I think it's a connectivity issue, in which case I might have to bite the bullet and void the warranty to plug it in using SATA.

Computers eh? Who'd have em :wink:
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Posts Quantity
Currently organising a holiday with about 11 friends in a welsh cottage for a week, which we've all been saving up for - I'm literally the only person doing any work. Two people need to go home early but don't have cars, I've had to find them trains and plan them routes back home for them, now they're thinking of not bothering, someone's desperate to bring an xbox, (he may as well just stay at home!) other people have no idea when we're leaving and assume everything has been sorted out for them. I think I'm now starting to get annoyed by them all more and more, spending a week with some of them is going to be such a drag, and I can't pull out because the whole thing is literally riding on me, but I really can't be bothered anymore.
Be music friends: http://last.fm/user/will-neill
Be friends with my music: http://willneill.bandcamp.com/

Sounds like you need new mates :?

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
I'm not really painting them in a positive light. It's more that they're all oblivious than lazy.
Be music friends: http://last.fm/user/will-neill
Be friends with my music: http://willneill.bandcamp.com/

Happy Cycler
Mexicola wrote:Sounds like you need new mates :?

Ah, but so easier said than done...

Iced Cooly Beatnik wrote:I'm not really painting them in a positive light. It's more that they're all oblivious than lazy.

Hope things get better for you that whole situation, man.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
werk is a waste of life

Friendly Stranger
Finding out that a former bandmate had released a song I wrote (and played everything) on an album, some two years after an acrimonious split, without hearing a word, and despite clear instructions not to.
Trying to clear up the mess this week and although it seems to have been sorted, it's been like talking to a couple of drunk fourteen year olds (apologies to any drunk fourteen year olds reading this!) with serious psychological difficulties.
I've just left a conversation where one of the guys appears to be having some kind of online meltdown. It's actually quite disturbing. :shock:

Telepath
Ouch! That sounds like uploading music to newgrounds.

Dayvan Cowboy
re-phaelam-ed wrote:werk is a waste of life
i concur

lasermonkey wrote:Finding out that a former bandmate had released a song I wrote (and played everything) on an album, some two years after an acrimonious split, without hearing a word, and despite clear instructions not to.
what a dick

Dayvan Cowboy
re-phaelam-ed wrote:werk is a waste of life

Tell me about it. I feel cheated, someone should have warned me about this bollocks before deciding to birth me.

Telepath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA

If you dont want to work then dont fucking work. But dont come to me complaining about not having money. And not everyone can handle the whole sitting-around-not-working-every-day. That kind of life serves their own challenges.

If you just hate your job, fucking quit! Do something with your life that doesnt feel like a complete waste of time and talent. I cant stand it when people do jobs they hate. Like pissed off busdrivers or storeworkers ignoring you, looking at the clock waiting to go home. You're not doing anyone a favor by doing so, you're probably unhelpful and you're probably doing your job in a lousy, uninspired way. Unless you have children to feed and dress and you are very untalented, FIND A NEW JOB AND BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE. I promise you, you will surely not die by quiting your job!

Telepath
Mobility scooters are EVERYWHERE here in the hague. I was going to the nearest mall one time and from the first step inside there where like 10 mobility scooters parked around the building and another 5 driving around. They tend to want to ride you over as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I think its GREAT that people who couldnt can get out of the house now, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. Younger and younger peeps are starting to use it. I even saw a girl around my age, with a friend sitting on the back with her baby in her arms driving that thing as if it was souped up or something. Besides, if I couldnt use my legs I'd want an oldfashioned arm-powered wheelchair, keep the body healthy. Maybe then I'd even start playing basketball as wheelchair basketball is a really really neat sport.

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote: FIND A NEW JOB AND BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE. I promise you, you will surely not die by quiting your job!

Perhaps not, but I don't know what I want to be or what I want to do. I have a father who has no source of income apart from a paltry state pension and has just been through cancer and thankfully come out the other side. I can't just quit without finding something else, but I don't know what to look for or what makes me happy, nor frankly do I even have the energy to look for anything in my spare time. The last thing I want to do is think about work when I'm not there.

I appreciate your view on this as it is frustrating to see people hate their lives, but I am tired of this attitude that many people have. It's the same one I see when our government in the UK label people dependent on welfare as feckless and lazy. I'm not saying that we don't have some degree of control over our situations, but I think it is foolish to lay all the responsibility on the individual. Particularly as we are a social species and rely on other people for support, and we live in a world which puts myriad roadblocks in our way all the while telling us "it's not that bad, and it's your fault anyway, pull yourself together."

I wont go any further as I am not looking for any kind of heated debate, though I fear I might have started one.

Bit harsh Cupz mate. Seem to recall this not so very long ago. :wink:

Slow down...

Telepath
Mexicola wrote:Bit harsh Cupz mate. Seem to recall this not so very long ago. :wink:

Thats actually a very long time ago, bit weird to bring up, and the thread with me asking twoismers to borrow me money for rent would have been better example (a thread I no longer seem to be able to find) :P That one also turned out allot better!

A whole thread with angry rants and mine is the first one thats a bit harsh? :( I should work on my people skills.
I wasnt talking about anyone specifically, and I thought I made sure that was clear while writing....*slowly leaves thread*

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:
Mexicola wrote:Bit harsh Cupz mate. Seem to recall this not so very long ago. :wink:

Thats actually a very long time ago, bit weird to bring up, and the thread with me asking twoismers to borrow me money for rent would have been better example (a thread I no longer seem to be able to find) :P That one also turned out allot better!

A whole thread with angry rants and mine is the first one thats a bit harsh? :( I should work on my people skills.
I wasnt talking about anyone specifically, and I thought I made sure that was clear while writing....*slowly leaves thread*
yEAH FUCK OFF MATE

srsly tho

<3

Telepath
Techboy wrote:yEAH FUCK OFF MATE srsly tho

Cupz wrote:

Come on Cupz, I'm not having a go at you man. You know we all love you dude :wink:

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground