This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:
Techboy wrote:I can prolly help. Got a physics degree n that.

really? would you mind? in all seriousness, if this makes no sense, or is just too much working out, just ignore it

basically ive got to get 68% overall this year at uni and im trying to work out if i can afford to not do three things that i really dont want to do

so i have all these modules worth 20 credits and assessed like this..:

lesson a - 70% one essay and 30% another
lesson b - 60% one essay and two of the three things i dont want to do - 30% and 10% presentations
lesson c - 25% one essay and 75% another
lesson d - 70% one essay 30% another
lesson e - 35% one essay, 50% another and the third of three things i dont want to do - 15% presentation
lesson f - one essay 70% and 30% another

so my question is, what average mark would i need to get on the essays if i ditched all the presentations in order to achieve 68% for the year? or what is the minimum? sorry its such a long post but the percentages have really confused me :s :s :s :s :s

I don't remember from my first degree, but in my more recent college work, participation and a pass was required for all parts of each module to be able to register an overall mark for that module, if you see what I mean - if 80% was an exam or report and 20% a presentation, if I didn't pass the presentation, I could have got full marks in the exam, it wouldn't have made any difference, the module would be a fail.
I'd be surprised if other courses were different, perhaps you've already checked this out.

Sherbet Head
Ahh it's an English degree so most of the work is essays. Participation varies but 4 of 6 of my modules have zero participation required this year so I thought I'd ask about swapping the two that do for others in case there are more like that. The less I physically have to be there the better. I'm not an academic person and I find uni (mine anyway) INCREDIBLY pretentious. Had there not been a generous scholarship I would have been out of there in the first year tbh.

Dayvan Cowboy
Scrappy Doo has been found dead in Miami.

Posts Quantity
Synthestesia wrote:Scrappy Doo has been found dead in Miami.

a Miami, Arizona
b Miami, California
c Miami, Florida
d Miami, Indiana
e Miami, Manitoba
f Miami, Missouri
g Miami, Ohio
h Miami, Oklahoma
i Miami, Texas
j All of the above

Boqurant
untitled wrote:
Synthestesia wrote:Scrappy Doo has been found dead in Miami.

a Miami, Arizona
b Miami, California
c Miami, Florida
d Miami, Indiana
e Miami, Manitoba
f Miami, Missouri
g Miami, Ohio
h Miami, Oklahoma
i Miami, Texas
j All of the above

Scrappy Doo has been found spread in Miami's.
Green

Happy Cycler
louise wrote:
Rodheh wrote:
Mexicola wrote:especially if I'm right and the economy faceplants again in the next 12/24 months. Strange and scary things could then start to happen.

I've jumped through hoops so inane and irrelevant to try and get my visa. If, at the end of the day, the country I've chosen to emigrate to out of societal preference dives directly into one of the many things I'm trying to escape from over here, I could see myself jumping off a bridge.

if its ok to ask, where are you from rodheh?

Intentions are to settle in England where I can provide an occupation (unbelievably I discovered a "job in a religious community" can qualify, which...seriously?) somewhere preferably small with active weather. I have some friends made a long time ago I'll be in contact with the most and then I'll probably do what it is I do right now - stay away from most people unless I have to say something.

Option two is Germany as I have family there. Don't know the language fluently. Problem. "But English is universa-" no. I won't be comfortable without knowing the language fluently.

I'm from Phoenix. I'm desperate to get away from Americans. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not one. All my friends and family are not bothered by the grotesque shit that appears on their televisions - particularly advertisements for cars and alcohol during a sports game or a 'news' broadcast - not only that, but I'm the only one who has had that shit unplugged for years. Not only that, but with the exception of needing to eat food I do not feed into this abhorrent consumer culture but once every so often. Not only that, but that I'm constantly disturbed on a personal level by our media and government which is essentially a giant body with no head and no ideas, no concern for children upon children to accurately be able to infer information without cross referencing like hell, no concern for the world's well being economically and peacefully, no concern for the fact that its citizens dance in fire and yet someone comes along every once and a while urging us to overpopulate this piece of land more and more. No organized, collective concern for fucking science. Plenty of flag waving and 'patriotism' though.

I am ill from being - seeing - hearing - knowing these many Americans, and when I get everything I need to get sorted out here, I'm eager to leave at whatever the expense, because it's chewing into me mentally. It has, with all sincerity, drained my concern at any continuation of life if I am here. I know, and all of my friends have told me, that any newly contrived happiness will disappear as I become used to life wherever else I might reside over time if it hits me in the same sort of way (at which point it's time to try and move again). I also know I'm not going to escape all of the things I dislike and that people are still people. Though I believe, both with my heart and my brain, that among all my potential choices none can be remotely as bad as this.

I hope. Hope is what made my passport process a disaster, but it's also what keeps me going.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Totally hear you Rod and good luck. My only advice, to echo Techboy a while back, would be to hang fire and see if Scotland goes independent. Two reasons...

(1) While not quite the USA, England (and note: England in this context, NOT United Kingdom) is another fundamentally right-of-centre, conservative (small c) country with it's own faults by the bag full. (2) My rough understanding is that an independent Scotland will actually be seeking to ATTRACT young talented immigrants to bolster it's population and economy. It seems likely to be a more progressive, forward thinking country, although I'm sure it will also have it's own flaws and problems.

Not saying it'll be a utopia - far from it - but it could be easier to 'get in' and then a nicer deal all round once you're here.

Seriously though, good luck again 8)

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Might be a good time here to say, I am thoroughly disillusioned with England of late. It feels alien and nasty.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Correct. Part of me thinks 'stay and fight the good fight.'. 'Be the change...' and all that.
The other part of me thinks: Fuck em - you're a Geordie anyway and never felt a part of England truly to begin with. Leave it to the Daily Mail morons and let the 'merchant bankers' and Little-Englanders stew in their own deluded muck.

Time will tell, but this feels like something has to give..

Slow down...

Sherbet Head
Rodheh wrote:
louise wrote:
Rodheh wrote:
Mexicola wrote:especially if I'm right and the economy faceplants again in the next 12/24 months. Strange and scary things could then start to happen.

I've jumped through hoops so inane and irrelevant to try and get my visa. If, at the end of the day, the country I've chosen to emigrate to out of societal preference dives directly into one of the many things I'm trying to escape from over here, I could see myself jumping off a bridge.

if its ok to ask, where are you from rodheh?

Intentions are to settle in England where I can provide an occupation (unbelievably I discovered a "job in a religious community" can qualify, which...seriously?) somewhere preferably small with active weather. I have some friends made a long time ago I'll be in contact with the most and then I'll probably do what it is I do right now - stay away from most people unless I have to say something.

Option two is Germany as I have family there. Don't know the language fluently. Problem. "But English is universa-" no. I won't be comfortable without knowing the language fluently.

I'm from Phoenix. I'm desperate to get away from Americans. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not one. All my friends and family are not bothered by the grotesque shit that appears on their televisions - particularly advertisements for cars and alcohol during a sports game or a 'news' broadcast - not only that, but I'm the only one who has had that shit unplugged for years. Not only that, but with the exception of needing to eat food I do not feed into this abhorrent consumer culture but once every so often. Not only that, but that I'm constantly disturbed on a personal level by our media and government which is essentially a giant body with no head and no ideas, no concern for children upon children to accurately be able to infer information without cross referencing like hell, no concern for the world's well being economically and peacefully, no concern for the fact that its citizens dance in fire and yet someone comes along every once and a while urging us to overpopulate this piece of land more and more. No organized, collective concern for fucking science. Plenty of flag waving and 'patriotism' though.

I am ill from being - seeing - hearing - knowing these many Americans, and when I get everything I need to get sorted out here, I'm eager to leave at whatever the expense, because it's chewing into me mentally. It has, with all sincerity, drained my concern at any continuation of life if I am here. I know, and all of my friends have told me, that any newly contrived happiness will disappear as I become used to life wherever else I might reside over time if it hits me in the same sort of way (at which point it's time to try and move again). I also know I'm not going to escape all of the things I dislike and that people are still people. Though I believe, both with my heart and my brain, that among all my potential choices none can be remotely as bad as this.

I hope. Hope is what made my passport process a disaster, but it's also what keeps me going.

the fatal sound of broken dreams :(

Sherbet Head
The second half of your post bears a likeness to the lyrics from a view to a kill. Its like a snow patrol ballad version of a view to a kill. I tip my hat.

Boqurant
I wish you the best of luck Rodheh and i hopes you get it all sorted man.

Tip - Australia is pretty easy going and yeah it's far away from everything but that can be a good thing in it's own right.

We have some 'patriotism' here too - but to be honest I don't see it everywhere anymore. T.V is T.V - same everywhere, its utter shit advertising media backwash agenda. I do what you do, unplugged it. I use it for Nintendo purposes only when the time calls for it.

We speak english here. Although not fluently. Haha. We have this amazing ability to roll every word in a sentence into one long word.

No bridge jumping hey, unless your attached to a elastic cord please! For safety purposes!

You will make the right move and you will be happy. It's just about doing it and seeing if it feels right you know?
Green

Happy Cycler
I'll figure out something. I know. Australia was also a consideration and I do have some friends there (one good one that's spent so much time talking to Americans he now has an American accent with an Australian twang, heh) and a single family member but it's a little bit too similar in many regards. Not that it's not beautiful in many places and overall better than this because I'm sure it is, but overall what I'm looking for in particular is not really there. I still intend to come visit sometime and see my friend in Melbourne.

Scotland was something I considered before (and if it's still part of the UK after this then it'll be a place I'll go, although I don't really know many Scottish people). I don't know if I'll have the time based on when I intend to try and leave to let the whole situation in Scotland settle enough to where I can see how things are if the country does indeed become independent. If I ever wanted to move around though within the grounds of the island, I could presumably do it then.

England was what I'd considered firstly because of contacts - something I do not have much of elsewhere in the UK. Obviously, not a spot on this planet is anywhere remotely close to perfect and that I'll be trading in certain bullshit for a different kind of bullshit, but with my peripheral (and growing) knowledge of life there, I can say pretty safely I'd still greatly prefer it to this. More than five friends that I've known for varying years are willing to help me out in the event I make it over, so while anything could change, that's the plan. If not there then somewhere else English speaking that feels broadly different. That's the main concern: getting out of here. Obviously I don't mean to insult any Americans and I think pretty much any American on Twoism wouldn't disagree with me about the sort of problems I listed, but unlike some of my peers I have simply reached the point where I can't take it anymore. I need to distance myself from this continent entirely. Then I might for once find some happiness. Not to sound overly dramatic and sorry if I do, but when you have obsessive compulsive disorder, the kind of shit I described really does hit hard. Much harder and on a much more personal level, because everyone tolerates it. Per our population we should have many a "Banksy" type individuals. Many a "Doug Stanhope" or "Bill Hicks" type individuals. We just don't though.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Ian Paisley's dead. There's an orange march in Edinburgh tomorrow. Our own referendum's on Thursday. I suspect tensions will be running high. Hopefully I am wrong.

Happy Cycler
What is the mood like up there at the moment? My friend has just come back from holiday in Scotland and was surprised by the lack of presence of both campaigns.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
It depends where you go I guess. Where was your friend? Glasgow, which is the city which suffered the most from Thatcherism, is pretty vibrant ATM with yes voters. I'll post some photos and links later

Happy Cycler
Fort William, and then Edinburgh. Yeah that'd be interesting man.

Dayvan Cowboy
This is a pub where my girlfriend and I ate currently partaking in the national pastime of brain cell destruction

http://imgur.com/waJtw5o

Happy Cycler
Haha crass but accurate.

I kinda get the feeling Salmond isn't genuinely anticipating a yes majority and is just broadcasting his political career intentions. I hope I am wrong of course.

Happy Cycler
It's a funny atmosphere here (Edinburgh) - there is a lot of tension in the air. And in typical Edinburgh (rather than Glasgow) style, there are a lot of conversations being avoided among friends and families.

Find it hard to believe that anyone is undecided at this stage - whichever way it goes, this Friday will be interesting.

My mind is well and truly made up...

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground