This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Happy Cycler
Anyone ever studied Philosophy? I am currently struggling with it...

Kant's Critique of Pure Reason is a complete mind fuck. I think I am getting it, then it completely loses me again.. it is apparently incredibly difficult to read. Though, I get the feeling if I am getting it then I am probably not reading it thoroughly enough :lol:
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Anyone ever studied Philosophy? I am currently struggling with it...

Kant's Critique of Pure Reason is a complete mind fuck. I think I am getting it, then it completely loses me again.. it is apparently incredibly difficult to read. Though, I get the feeling if I am getting it then I am probably not reading it thoroughly enough :lol:

I liked reading Kant's material. Definitely one of the more agreeable stuffy old men in the philosophy world. :wink:

Happy Cycler
The guy was completely nuts. He was basically revered as a genius, but lived a decadent, privileged party lifestyle. Many a rich man employed him to tutor their children and everyone thought he would die without writing any of his brilliant ideas down, luckily he did in the last years of his life.. in an frenetic productive period. His work itself is fascinating albeit dense and hard to decipher. I am more into the modern to post modern period of Philosophy, I love Zizek and Foucault but I understand the necessity to study these old masters.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:The guy was completely nuts. He was basically revered as a genius, but lived a decadent, privileged party lifestyle.

Oh, totally. That's how a lot of them were. Kant, Bentham, etc.. People that had enough time on their hands to sit around with the other old rich white guys and think about these things ;) (at least, 17th-19th centuries)

fujee wrote:I am more into the modern to post modern period of Philosophy, I love Zizek and Foucault but I understand the necessity to study these old masters.

The way I see it, a lot of philosophy - and even art, music, culture at large - is composed of reactions to the current state of things. That's why it's so helpful to know the history of anything you're interested in. Hard to "know what the jazz is all about" without understanding jazz's roots, for example..

Happy Cycler
Absolutely, Philosophy especially refers so much to the past, so you need that grounding in everything in order to understand critical theory properly. Really enjoying the challenge at the moment.

Sherbet Head
CALLING ALL POETS show yourselves please! i need help with rhymth and meter!!! xxx

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:Absolutely, Philosophy especially refers so much to the past, so you need that grounding in everything in order to understand critical theory properly. Really enjoying the challenge at the moment.

To be a great philosopher it is important to be a doubly revolving peripatetic nitpicker.

But seriously, although I didn't take it further than A level, studying philosophy sparked a massive ideological awakening in me. I had the help of a fantastic teacher who wrote the textbook we were using, and was unashamedly marxist. Though I pissed him off by diddling about in my second year, I always had a huge amount of respect and gratitude for him for pushing me to think critically. He basically prepared me for a pretty swift, daunting and radical (pun intended) change in my worldview. The lucky combination of him and reading Marx taught me that the truth can be ugly indeed and that it is our duty as self aware beings to face it. Regardless of the validity of his political theory, that will always stick with me.

Shit. I need to reconsider uni...

Dayvan Cowboy

Sherbet Head
2 random as shit things

1: Does anyone else have a voice saying "insert coin" at the very end of XYZ? I must be seriously fuckin stoned because I have NEVER noticed that before. EVER. Now im kind of concerned about life.

2: I have a bunch of stickers on my waterbottle and I want to keep the water from eating them (a BoC sticker in particular). Ive been trying to find some help through the google but it keeps taking me to forums for putting stickers on motorcycles or guitars, and its not really helping that much. Do any of you know of something that I could paint / spray on to help coat them and not wear off so fast?
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Dayvan Cowboy
nick47 wrote:2: I have a bunch of stickers on my waterbottle and I want to keep the water from eating them (a BoC sticker in particular). Ive been trying to find some help through the google but it keeps taking me to forums for putting stickers on motorcycles or guitars, and its not really helping that much. Do any of you know of something that I could paint / spray on to help coat them and not wear off so fast?

Looks like you want something like this.

Looks like it would work on plastic/laminated paper. But you would want to look into it a bit more to be sure.

I found it by searching 'spray on waterproof sealant' :)

EDIT: Nope, it says not to be used on plastic. BUT, that is in the right area. Just search for spray on ones and read description, reviews.

Sherbet Head
^ Yup, just get a can of clear coat car acrylic, in any auto store.

Dayvan Cowboy
GH wrote:^ Yup, just get a can of clear coat car acrylic, in any auto store.

There ya go.

Sherbet Head
nick47 wrote:2 random as shit things

1: Does anyone else have a voice saying "insert coin" at the very end of XYZ? I must be seriously fuckin stoned because I have NEVER noticed that before. EVER. Now im kind of concerned about life.

2: I have a bunch of stickers on my waterbottle and I want to keep the water from eating them (a BoC sticker in particular). Ive been trying to find some help through the google but it keeps taking me to forums for putting stickers on motorcycles or guitars, and its not really helping that much. Do any of you know of something that I could paint / spray on to help coat them and not wear off so fast?

clear nail varnish (get the cheapest one they all contain the same stuff)

Sherbet Head
Just to emphasise, spray clear coat car acrylic is used for that very purpose all the time. DIY pedal/ stompbox enthusiasts use it to protect decals etc. I've used it myself & it sprays very evenly and it's not at all expensive.

It's also used to extend the life of inkjet printed photos etc. I'd spray the whole bottle with it. Usually two or three very thin coats allowing about ten minutes drying between each coat, but check the specific manufacturers directions on the tin. There are tutorials on youtube for clear coating decals on pedals.

While nail varnish is a good idea, I think the spray is the way to go (no offence louise :) ).

Sherbet Head
none taken!

in other news, literally cant stop finding this funny

http://youtu.be/30JfbXmLFn0?msVL1Q

Sherbet Head
louise wrote:

LOL, I am reposting that everywhere right now!

Sherbet Head
GH wrote:
louise wrote:

LOL, I am reposting that everywhere right now!

:D good lad!

0.09 gets me every time :lol:

:lol:

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
What is everyone's views on Russell Brand here? I know its not the person but the message, don't shoot the messenger etc.. but am I the only one who finds his champagne Marxism incredibly tedious? I actually am in full agreement with some of his points (not the not voting thing though) but there just seems to be something so self promoting about it.

Happy Cycler
fujee wrote:What is everyone's views on Russell Brand here? I know its not the person but the message, don't shoot the messenger etc.. but am I the only one who finds his champagne Marxism incredibly tedious? I actually am in full agreement with some of his points (not the not voting thing though) but there just seems to be something so self promoting about it.

Yep - sub-6th form stuff.

What's that Russell? You want a leaderless revolution based on love or some such hippie shite? Or anarchy?

I want a functioning health service, welfare system, nationalised transport and utilities and a fair distribution of wealth through taxation.

But I imagine that isn't sexy enough for our Russell.

PS - hi all; haven't been here for a while :)

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground