This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
Rodheh wrote:.

I think this is funny. Most people aren't actively aware of the culture they grew up in.

I have something similar, although it is more just a feeling of 'get out! get out now!' stemming from some general disillusionment with the modern world. I've thought about it almost every day for years, and there are few solutions. Transplanting myself into another country wont do much good if it is in the city, because we are a global society and the speed of life is the same. Not to mention the abject greed and emotional terror.

I've come to the conclusion that a town is better than a city for me. And if not a town, a village. And if not a village, a commune (one which is run practically, not sure where to find that). And if not that, the wilderness after years of bushcraft and survival training. I don't think I even have the motivation or integrity to do that training. And if not that, no where. I can't get away from my thoughts and if they don't change via different people or places, I'll go nuts.

The no where isn't a nice thought.

Aside from that, I am aware that you are coming to join us here in the UK! Correct me if I'm wrong about that. It isn't such a bad place, especially outside of London (guess where I am :) ). I'm sure you will enjoy many parts of it, if only because we are different in many ways and those will be new.

Happy Cycler
"Handlebars" by Flobots is one of the worst fucking songs I have ever heard, and I haven't even heard it in about five years. I just popped into my head thinking about all the shit friends and I were indifferent about when we were younger.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Friendly Stranger
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
Rodheh wrote:.

I think this is funny. Most people aren't actively aware of the culture they grew up in.

I have something similar, although it is more just a feeling of 'get out! get out now!' stemming from some general disillusionment with the modern world. I've thought about it almost every day for years, and there are few solutions. Transplanting myself into another country wont do much good if it is in the city, because we are a global society and the speed of life is the same. Not to mention the abject greed and emotional terror.

I've come to the conclusion that a town is better than a city for me. And if not a town, a village. And if not a village, a commune (one which is run practically, not sure where to find that). And if not that, the wilderness after years of bushcraft and survival training. I don't think I even have the motivation or integrity to do that training. And if not that, no where. I can't get away from my thoughts and if they don't change via different people or places, I'll go nuts.

The no where isn't a nice thought.

Aside from that, I am aware that you are coming to join us here in the UK! Correct me if I'm wrong about that. It isn't such a bad place, especially outside of London (guess where I am :) ). I'm sure you will enjoy many parts of it, if only because we are different in many ways and those will be new.

Personally, after living outside of cities all my life, I'm desperate to get into the hub of activity. Whilst I hate large crowds, and the concrete jungles, I just need to be somewhere with more like-minded people - even if it'll also be more people I despise as well. I wanna go to public lectures and join societies and learn so much more but around here it's all very restrictive. I've been fortunate with who I've found here but there's very few people who share our beliefs who stick around these parts for too long and we are all starting to spread out, as is to be expected in our mid twenties. My family have lived here for generations and generations, probably both sides moving a collective twenty miles or something for as far as we can trace back. There's no way I'm growing old here.

Sherbet Head
Ive never felt more disillusioned with human beings as i do right now.

Telepath
If I produce a audio sinewave with a frequency of 480 THz, will I see a red light come out of the speaker?

Friendly Stranger
louise wrote:Ive never felt more disillusioned with human beings as i do right now.

Which ones?

Sherbet Head
I just tire of how many two faced snakey people work their way into my life, take what they need be it money or emotional support, then disappear only to return when they need something else from me. I despair at how many people i can genuinely rely on in my life. Im sick to the back teeth of selfish people.

Sherbet Head
I may have fallen in love with the new girl at work, and I just found out she's moving down the street from me.

Sweet baby jesus don't let me lose my job.
"Life is a stupid, meaningless thing that has nothing to teach you." -Slavoj Zizek

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:If I produce a audio sinewave with a frequency of 480 THz, will I see a red light come out of the speaker?

No, because sound is a pressure wave and light is an electromagnetic wave. Loosely speaking. There have, however, been experiments with piezoelectric group III semiconductor materials - which convert pressure to electromagnetic waves and vice versa - in this frequency range. But that still doesn't really count as the material luminesces in response to the sound waves, it doesn't cause the sound waves to luminesce.

I think that's 3 posts in a row now, I don't want to make a habit of this... =P

Telepath
If I attach a projectorlight to an amp playing a frequency of 600THz, will there be a song projected on the wall?

Friendly Stranger
louise wrote:I just tire of how many two faced snakey people work their way into my life, take what they need be it money or emotional support, then disappear only to return when they need something else from me. I despair at how many people i can genuinely rely on in my life. Im sick to the back teeth of selfish people.

Ah, sorry to hear that. I find if I call people out, stay calm and show them to be ridiculous, people genuinely regret their actions, and unless it's based on an addiction (not that I've come across that) then I imagine it would be the same for most. people are very easy to shame when presented with the facts, and if they know you are on to them then the usual responses are to either adjust to something more palatable or avoid you (which would be better than the current situation, I'm sure).

Do you or will you have the opportunity to meet new people? Really sucks when you end up closed in.

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:If I attach a projectorlight to an amp playing a frequency of 600THz, will there be a song projected on the wall?
no :)

Sherbet Head
Sir David Frost interviews Jimmy Savile. In Hell (Serafinowicz)
phpBB [media]

^^^ Bill Cosby! lol

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:which convert pressure to electromagnetic waves

This sounds interesting, how is that possible? Any links?

Sherbet Head
mesjnr wrote:Ah, sorry to hear that. I find if I call people out, stay calm and show them to be ridiculous, people genuinely regret their actions, and unless it's based on an addiction (not that I've come across that) then I imagine it would be the same for most. people are very easy to shame when presented with the facts, and if they know you are on to them then the usual responses are to either adjust to something more palatable or avoid you (which would be better than the current situation, I'm sure).

Do you or will you have the opportunity to meet new people? Really sucks when you end up closed in.

i will have the opportunity soon, i deliberately closed myself off this year because im so exhausted from dealing with the ones i already have! but things are going to change a lot next year so im optimistic. its a shame to leave some people behind but it will happen because theyd rather avoid me, its the worst times in life that show you people's true colours isnt it. anyone can be a friend when the sun is shining.

Friendly Stranger
louise wrote:
i will have the opportunity soon, i deliberately closed myself off this year because im so exhausted from dealing with the ones i already have! but things are going to change a lot next year so im optimistic. its a shame to leave some people behind but it will happen because theyd rather avoid me, its the worst times in life that show you people's true colours isnt it. anyone can be a friend when the sun is shining.

Well I hope that things improve and that the sun will shine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Aerial Boundaries wrote:

If you google for piezoelectric effect, it will help you out maybe with a less technical description than this but - bearing in mind its been a few years since I studied this stuff and this is heavily over-simplified - the crystal structure within piezoelectric materials is such that there is an internal magnetic field. When you exert pressure, you move the charged particles (electrons basically) within that material and that generates a current. There are guitar pickups which work in this way.

Happy Cycler
Went out for a social last night with my course friends, ended up going down to the beach at 2.am drinking bottles of Staropramen and shooting the breeze in front of the burnt out pier while fishing boats on the horizon worked through the night. Stayed there til 6.am. It was bloody freezing but a great moment.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:
Aerial Boundaries wrote:

If you google for piezoelectric effect, it will help you out maybe with a less technical description than this but - bearing in mind its been a few years since I studied this stuff and this is heavily over-simplified - the crystal structure within piezoelectric materials is such that there is an internal magnetic field. When you exert pressure, you move the charged particles (electrons basically) within that material and that generates a current. There are guitar pickups which work in this way.

Controllers too. Back when I worked at the electronics factory I was trying to convince my boss to buy a big piezo matrix I could turn into a reprogrammable xy/pad/continuum keyboard thing but he never did. Should maybe see if I can source the bits now I have some time on my hands.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground