This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy

Slow down...

Nova Scotia Robot
Mexicola wrote:Frodo likes Aphex?

Ya, that's old news actually. there was a youtube video of someone after an Aphex show asking Elijah how he liked it.

Here it is:
phpBB [media]

Samwise is likely a big Orbital fan.

Slow down...

Telepath

Look what I'm making :D :d :d

Dayvan Cowboy

Oh yeah baby.

Posts Quantity
today i wanted to check up on twoism

but i didn't remember the name

superstitious, i said to myself:

"if you don't remember by the time you count to 30, fuck it"

i remembered at two

damn virus

props to twoism

also: CUPZ, ARE YOU MAKING THAT AWESOME GAME? REMINDS ME OF "THE LAST V8"!! IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAYS POSSIBLE!

edit: The Last V8 meets Spy Hunter... those were the days, when you and your friends had combuters put could not connect them; yes, this phrase could be shortened to "i hope it has multiplayer or i'll come and stick an UTP cable down your CPU fan"

untitled wrote:The Last V8 meets Spy Hunter..

YES! Now we're talking.

Slow down...

Telepath
Actually, plans are the game will become something of a trading simulator sorta like a combination of Pirates!, Ports of Call and Gazillionaires. You don't actually need to have insane reflexes like with spy hunter and v8 (sure love them games), you just start the car and drive cruise control and you can sort out business stuff, listen to cool tunes and enjoy the scenery. Anyway that hasn't happened yet except on a document I'm writing with a friend, but I'll be working on it some more tonight. Thanks for this support btw, it really helps getting my ass back to programming before 2 weeks pass and I forget how that tangled spaghetti of a program I wrote works!

You can play the pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha version here, but its only barely a game, though some cool details are there like a full day/night cycle that needs some more work and some buildings. If the tiles seem to have horizontal seems, resize the window width, I'm really in the dark as to why it does that. Theres tons of glitches like buildings that suddenly dissapear , play jesus on the water, and...well whatever enjoy.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/976 ... /drive.swf
KEYS: CTRL, SPACE and ARROWS.

If you want to help out, either by helping me programming, pixelarting, feature requesting or just showing support and get me back to work, please don't hesitate to email me. I can use all the help I can get and the more pressure I get the better the odds I can actually complete something like this and have a impressive thing to parade around with on my resume.

Posts Quantity
i have some properly pixelated stuff you could use, I'll dig them up and send you a PM ;)

otherwise, everybody into programming games from scratch (ahem, adobe flash conspiracy, ahem) should check this guy out - he's a real saint (or devil): https://www.youtube.com/user/handmadeheroarchive

edit: almost forgot, I played it, i stared at it running for five minutes, the only thing that bothered me at the start were the yellow stoplights... but by the end they grew on me

Telepath
I like actionscript, and its the only language I can write (pretty) fluently, isn't that totally depressing. I like it though, it allows for prototyping so fast its ridiculous, it feels almost like writing music. I'm planning on doing things from scratch soon though as I feel a bit like a idiot not knowing any c based language yet... I'm looking a lot at scene demoes lately and its just making me itch.

Dayvan Cowboy
Demoscene stuff is crazy. I've been into that since forever, both as a fan of the end result (there's a whole musical and visual aesthetic in there that's off on a whole tangent from mainstream audio-visual art and music, that cuts right across electronic music's history) and the technical side of it. If you know coding at all, you know it's INSANE what they do. There is a very real art in working out how to make the most impressive stuff with the barest minimum of resources, and the tricks they employ to do it are just ingenious. I did start once, having a go at doing some of that but was never in the right frame of mind to get too far, those guys are experts at what they do. I could talk for hours on this stuff, my job was in embedded electronics for many years so it's using the same skills in a lot of ways, making big things happen in a small space.

For those that don't know: everything generated in real time from tiny programs.

Farbrausch - "fr-041: debris" (177k) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqu_IpkOYBg
(they've now released the source code to a lot of their stuff including this)

RGBA and TBC - "Elevated" (4k) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWMGuh15nE
4k for this is mad. This post of mine alone is about 1.5k

Posts Quantity
Now THIS^^ is something, I've been wanting to learn about. I am an absolute stranger to any manner of coding, but I've always wondered if there was a way to make truly aleatoric music in a self contained, electronic manner. I know that's a bit of a tangent of what you guys are talking about, but I thought I'd toss that thought in here to see if anyone knew anything about it.

Telepath
Yes perch! Maybe you know about it already, but check out MAX or Pure-data (open-source equivalent), thats a good place to start if you want to create generative music. They are Autechre's tools of the trade nowadays, dontchaknow. It does crazy things to your perception of sound as well, and the connections you have to make will invade your dream-logic in a really amazing way. If you understand that you are only a few steps away of having songs as separate executables, go further and you can even create your own physical sound machines. Follow some tutorials on pure-data, I can really recommend it to anyone interested in inventing their own sounds.

phpBB [media]

You might also want to look into this wiki.

Posts Quantity
thanks a bunch! definitely going to check these out

Dayvan Cowboy
This is another of my "only gets as far as talking about" ideas. But incorporating both chance and the opposite - what... stochasticism? into music through tech is one that I always come back to. Chance is something that came with the parcel in analogue and then it went away for the most part. But I'm obsessed with the idea that it should be possible to analyze streams of music and pull information out of them to trigger certain events. If the sound is doing *something* then the sound should start doing *something else*.

I keep meaning to play with puredata, never really had a decent stab at it. I do keep playing round in code, I did some metal simulation stuff last year, and was going to go on to simulating magnetic tape (crazy impossible theoretical tapes!) but that slowed down a bit. I'm trying to tidy some stuff up to make a base I can turn into other things easier. Don't get me started on talking about this stuff, I get too involved in it, haha.

I can see MrMessiah, Cupz and Techboy having a REALLY heavy discussion about all this in the summer in Dorset/Scotland! Its like listening to the shipping forecast. ie. I have no idea what you're all on about, but I'm fascinated!

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
I like the idea of music that is different every time you hear it. kind of like being able to put out an encapsulated demo that mixes itself in weird ways, and evolves over time based on randomly generated cues. It'd probably sound like a mess here and there, but the idea alone makes me feel tingly inside

cupz, that video is pretty coooool. hits on exactly what I was wondering about! :)

Scroll down to the photos in this article to see what BOC have been up to...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31145520

(joke obviously)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Haha I went and had a look...
They are finally converting The Bunker to Solar Power. Better for the lovely environment around them :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground