This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
so erm....has anyone done jury service? :s

Dayvan Cowboy
Yes I was on a jury.

Yeah, a long time ago. Ping me a message if you want details.

Slow down...

Telepath

Watch this movie and you'll know what to do.

Its a joke, don't watch it. Its a horrible movie.

Dayvan Cowboy
If you don't want to or can't do it, hinting that you suffer from a mental illness such as depression, have a personal connection to the type of case or even appearing overly eager to be on the panel are all good ways to make the interviewer more likely to turn you down from jury service.

Coming from my dad, was called up three separate times.

Can I just say, I found the experience pretty amazing. If you can, do it.

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Yeah it was very interesting!

I was an alternate (#13) for a real kooky case. A man tried crossing a river while fishing with his son, using a state installed cable demarcation dividing public and private land. The cable went across the river. The man's waders filled with water (allegedly) and he was pulled under, cast down current as he drowned and was deposited into the ocean. The body was never recovered and the family was suing the state because there was no sign on the cable saying "do not use cable to cross" or suchlike.

I was broke as hell at the time but in the end I did not regret a second of it.

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Dayvan Cowboy

they have more stuff out now. here's one called 'dare to keep kids full of love' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiCrteMwYEQ
Valotonin wrote:Celebrate collapse because it will be beautiful x

Dayvan Cowboy
So I'm in a pub in Glasgow and they're playing iabpoitc. I tried to engage the barman in some nerdy chat but he was very quiet. Its a good album but I'm not sure how appropriate to the situation it is.

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:So I'm in a pub in Glasgow and they're playing iabpoitc. I tried to engage the barman in some nerdy chat but he was very quiet. Its a good album but I'm not sure how appropriate to the situation it is.

Does he know what is playing?

It's probably Malcolm, the third Sandison brother..

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Aerial Boundaries wrote:
Techboy wrote:So I'm in a pub in Glasgow and they're playing iabpoitc. I tried to engage the barman in some nerdy chat but he was very quiet. Its a good album but I'm not sure how appropriate to the situation it is.

Does he know what is playing?

yeah I asked him if he was in charge of the music first =P

Happy Cycler
I just had my own BoC fan encounter. I had my t-shirt on walking through town, someone pats me on the arm "nice to see another BoC fan, we are a rare sight" - only the second time that has ever happened.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Cool. Reminds me to get my own T-shirt.

I'm usually not a logo wearing guy, but I can make an exception

Dayvan Cowboy
A record label wants me to record samples of a few LPs from them to confirm that they have indeed got distortion.

So I've got to connect my preamp to my computer and set audacity up, pick out the parts where you can hear it and send it.

I get why they are asking me to do this, because it is three separate releases so it seems quite unlikely. But it is such a chore.

Telepath
MAH SPOOHN IS TO BIIG

Dayvan Cowboy
Cupz wrote:MAH SPOOHN IS TO BIIG

I AM A BANANA

Dayvan Cowboy
So I was recording some vinyl to my computer for the reasons in my post earlier in this thread, and the oddest thing happened when I played it back:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8t82map10ri2 ... e.wav?dl=0

I have played through that run in track again and it was dead silent, so I'm really curious as to what happened. Maybe there was something on the needle?

This is completely separate from the original issue, and I don't mind but it is just odd lol

Sherbet Head
thanks for the replies about jury service! i always thought it was impossible to get out of without a brilliantly brilliant excuse, but the guy i spoke to was pretty meh whatever. so im not doing it anymore. it sounds interesting but i have no time, ive a dissertation and final year crap to deal with and a parent in hospital. also, i know they refund you, but dont they ever think someone might not have the cash spare to shell out in the first place?

by the way, the electoral register thing. can you really get in trouble for not completing the information for your house? the letter always says they will fine you, but im not sure i believe that?

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground