THE ANGRY RANT THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
louise wrote:
Lens Larque wrote:Iowa

im brushing up on my Iowa knowledge now...they dont hold back do they!

“Homosexual activists know that they have to change the minds of young people, like all radical movements. We saw this under the Communists, under Hitler,” LaBarbera said. “This is a movement that directly threatens kids.”

:shock: i think you need to calm down mate

Ive never met a 'homosexual activist'. Im picturing someone handing out leaflets... 'Cock. Is it for you?'

PMSL!!! :-)

Slow down...

Posts Quantity
Fucking bitches.

Dayvan Cowboy
My new co-worker has an abusive boyfriend who threw her cat and cat carrier down a stairwell. He grabs her arm and jerks her around while screaming at her.

Dayvan Cowboy
Lens Larque wrote:My new co-worker has an abusive boyfriend who threw her cat and cat carrier down a stairwell. He grabs her arm and jerks her around while screaming at her.

Motherfucker. Fucking hate people who are abusive to harmless creatures. They should throw him down a stairwell, and piss in his face afterwards.
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Happy Cycler
UK (toilet) press coverage of the Germanwings crash is absolutely disgraceful. Way to stigmatize depression. Fucking horrible bastards.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
Absolutely In fact more than one of my friends has said the same on Facebook. Vulture journalism.

Did we expect anything less?? Lowest common denominator every fucking time. Here's the really annoying part though, those journalists are intelligent people. They know the truth and print the shit people want to read regardless. Spoon feeding excrement to morons. Fuck em all. Pardon my French, but it boils my piss.

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Some even speculated on his orientation as a potential cause. How can you even put conjecture like that on to paper? Freedom of the press is a complete illusion, just like the 'free' market. Only acts as the mouthpiece for ideological gains. The only reason the UK is as naturally conservative as it is, is because of the press. There is no solidarity in times like this, when it is needed most.
Last edited by fujee on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Happy Cycler
you see this world of journalism and media crumbling under the weight of a lack of money, and I just don't know what to do.

I want to go into media, to create and be creative, and to express some sort of wisdom to people, some sort of individual insight, but it seems that creativity and personal insight is becoming less of a draw card.

Dayvan Cowboy
The Telepathic Kid wrote:you see this world of journalism and media crumbling under the weight of a lack of money, and I just don't know what to do.

I want to go into media, to create and be creative, and to express some sort of wisdom to people, some sort of individual insight, but it seems that creativity and personal insight is becoming less of a draw card.

Did this for 10 years with exactly the same MO coming out of Uni. Mex is right, there are some smart people, but a lot don't know how to write. I fell into a cool team that could get away with some sense but that existed for a little window of time. News media on the whole is a low paying enterprise, and increasingly narcissistic. that was my take-away. i'm sure others have a different view..

Happy Cycler
Pretty depressing/infuriating read, especially for someone who studies in the humanities. It's especially noticeable at my current University, who seem to be one of the few dedicated to providing an education, and not processing a fee paying customer. Years of intellectual tradition is being destroyed by these neo-liberal reforms and austerity drives. This country is going to the dogs, for all the reasons no one wants to talk about. Looks like my potential career in academia is either a complete pipe dream, or a destiny dictated by the bureaucrats. I have to leave the UK, this place is going down the drain.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... t-49737984

Happy Cycler
^ yep, depressing stuff. I've worked in HE for years and the shift if focus from knowledge for the sake of knowledge to profit-centred places churning out generic business courses & adopting the behaviours and language of business-bullshit is truly depressing.

Happy Cycler
One of the main reasons I chose Brighton for my MA as opposed to other places, is that in my interview, the course leader made it very clear that they were fundamentally resistant to any kind of centralisation or intrusion of the market into the academy. That they were committed to educating students and not processing them is what swung it for me. As a result, the humanities dept. is pretty much reviled across the board, and is one of the more genuinely radical schools in the country. The anger is palpable, but there is also a horrible resignation about it all. I am glad I have chosen to come here and do it though, it feels very worthwhile, and in some small way, I am sticking two fingers up to the technocrats.

Dayvan Cowboy
fujee wrote:One of the main reasons I chose Brighton for my MA as opposed to other places, is that in my interview, the course leader made it very clear that they were fundamentally resistant to any kind of centralisation or intrusion of the market into the academy. That they were committed to educating students and not processing them is what swung it for me. As a result, the humanities dept. is pretty much reviled across the board, and is one of the more genuinely radical schools in the country. The anger is palpable, but there is also a horrible resignation about it all. I am glad I have chosen to come here and do it though, it feels very worthwhile, and in some small way, I am sticking two fingers up to the technocrats.

Good to hear man, if I ever consider going to uni as a mature student. I was thinking about Kent before seeing as their philosophy department is meant to be very good, but tbh I know barely anything about these places.

Also please don't leave the UK unless you're taking me with you! We need good people!

Happy Cycler
Kent is very good, though I don't know a lot about their staff. Brighton has a brilliant academic culture, and the tutors are fantastic and well respected. The person who controls most of the second half of my MA which consists of Structuralism-Post Structuralism-Post Marxism, has been very good, as is the course leader I mentioned. I have learnt a lot, and they seem to genuinely care about making a difference. It also helps they mostly are committed leftists. If you do decide to go, consider Brighton, at least have an open day visit or short interview over the phone, they would be more than happy to help. Plus, there is quite a strong presence of left unity around here, which is also encouraging. The only issue about Brighton, which is fairly ironic, is that the organisation and such is pretty flakey at best. Nothing gets done on time and things are always delayed, but that is probably par for a lot of the humanities departments, or at least was until the thought police invaded. It hasn't really bothered me though.

If I did leave the UK, it wouldn't be far, probably France.. ideally I'd get citizenship for Iceland and live in Reykjavík - but the chances of that happening are a million to one. Hey ho, stuck in England for now.

Dayvan Cowboy
I'm with you fujee, there's a lot about France to like, if I had to move anywhere. But the politics there worry me... not the most left-friendly place as I understand it, outside the big cities at least.

Dayvan Cowboy
MrMessiah wrote:I'm with you fujee, there's a lot about France to like, if I had to move anywhere. But the politics there worry me... not the most left-friendly place as I understand it, outside the big cities at least.

From what I know, it is very patchy there. Even in the rural areas, you may find farmers and such who are highly protectionist and pro unions, but there is also a huge amount of neoliberal and conservative sentiment both in the city and country. It seems to vary quite a bit.

Fujee, I wouldn't sweat about a lack of organisation or coordination, at least if you are referring to the political side of things. Effective mass resistance is hard to come by any more. You do make Brighton sound attractive.

Happy Cycler
Yeah, Front National are reaping the rewards of a lackadaisical left in France atm, but I think the general appreciation for left politics and a historical identity with academia and left/radical agenda is generally more persuasive than the incredibly conservative UK. My other plan is to do a TEFL course and see the world whilst teaching English.

Aerial - Well if you wanna go down the Critical Theory/Philosophy route, let me know and I can put you in touch if you're interested :)

Boqurant
This is one of the greatest threads ever. Of course, I'm saying this fully aware that anger is generally a negative, often tragic emotion; but the range of topics here is flabbergasting--a subtle reminder that life is an rather challenging grind. Sometimes an angry rant is the most satisfying of elixers... Remember: "Toujours humectez la mouture... Toujours."
Cerebro See Through Red Eye

www.soundcloud.com/miiiimuzik

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground