This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Telepath
Thats how it always looks when I logged in, except with cupz instead of 2020k.

Dayvan Cowboy
fucking about with a new synth.

http://hosting.earthshine.it/~mark/alpha-rainblow.mp3

I know it isn't perfect =P

Sherbet Head
Techboy wrote:fucking about with a new synth.

Thats bloody great dude, what a nice sounding synth too.

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:fucking about with a new synth.

Liking that a lot!

Happy Cycler
I had the radio yesterday while I was giving my kids their tea. Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine was played.

The 3yo: "Daddy, I like this music..... I'm going to close my eyes so I can listen better."

Properly proud.

Happy Cycler
Mate, that is awesome :)
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I had the radio yesterday while I was giving my kids their tea. Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine was played.

The 3yo: "Daddy, I like this music..... I'm going to close my eyes so I can listen better."

Properly proud.

Nice!

Dayvan Cowboy
gonna take my bottle of jameson, make a huge playlist and go to the park fow a walk, nice saturday

Happy Cycler
A_Northern_Soul wrote:I had the radio yesterday while I was giving my kids their tea. Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine was played.

Properly proud.

This is the kind of moment which will make a person completely click with music, and understand it on another level.

It seems most people who really dig music have a moment like that, like I remember as a kid, a show I watched had a segment where people in a garage would take odd objects and create rhythms and music with them. I absolutely loved it, and these rhythms were harsh and industrial, but because it was on a kids show and the people were making funny faces while they were doing it, it was fine for kids apparently.
I completely connected with that, it was great.

Anyone else have that sort of a moment as a kid where they remember music just clicking with them?

Telepath
Yeah TTK. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was still in diapers and I heard Ravel's Bolero and I saw all these huge creatures marching through surrealistic landscapes.

Dayvan Cowboy
For me it's a few moments, just records my dad used to put on, in particular Barber's Adagio for Strings, Satie's 1st Gymnopedie, the theme from Shaft, anything from his albums by Sky (see my avatar), Bob Dylan, or Clannad. Hearing any of them opens up something in my brain, in the same way as when I first heard them as a child.

Happy Cycler
Yes!

My Dad is a big Hendrix fan & 2 moments stand out from when I was little: him looking after me one night when my mother was out. Mam being out meant the stereo got cranked up & I vividly remember him putting on side D of Electric Ladyland & me firstly enjoying it (but not being sure why - it was a bit weird) and secondly watching my Dad - who is a fairly quiet & reserved man *totally* getting into it.

The other is a live Hendrix album my dad had & the last track was "the smashing of the amps". The sound of which was the most thrilling thing I'd ever heard...

Talking of Hendrix, my Dad (who isn't a big music fan at all) used to work in the shipyards as a young man, before he went to sea. There was a guy in his office that used to annoy everyone else by turning up, doing next to no work, reading comics and telling everyone how he was going to be famous in the music business. His name? Chas Chandler. ;-)

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
Some cool stories here, growing up my Mum was mostly into new wave stuff, whilst my Dad was into mod revival and post punk.. (can you tell my parents were growing up in the late 70s to early 80s ha) so to some extent they did influence my tastes. Certainly gave me an appreciation for music that was a bit different.

If I have children, I will certainly introduce them to music and such, but I will also let them take their own path. Gentle encouragement is probably the best tactic. I spose everyone has to go through the awkward teen music years before they reach their 'mature' taste and style. All your kids are proper lucky to have parents into great music!
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
I always feel like a black sheep talking to you guys haha. I never had an appreciation for music when I was younger, I wasn't around it much except for The Beatles (who I still love) or Stones in the car on my way to a holiday. My parents don't listen to the radio, and although my dad claims to have loved many different types of music, he never seemed to bother listening or playing it to me during my life. To my chagrin.

I discovered my love of music comparatively late, and it all started because of Michael Hedges and BOC whom I discovered around the same time. I was 16 I think when it happened.

To be honest I think it was even more of a revelation because of how late it happened for me. It's like I had been deaf my whole life, and suddenly I could hear beautiful music, unimpeded my a lack of attention or emotional attachment. Something clicked when I listened to a particular BOC track, though for the life of me I don't remember which. So in that sense it is cool the way it happened so late for me.

On the other hand I also feel slightly disadvantaged by a lack of experience or variety of artists. I've made a massive point over the past few years of widening my tastes, but I still haven't listened to so so many 'must listen' artists. Which at times makes certain discussions on this forum completely impenetrable to me.

I forge on. :)

Sherbet Head
THE WIND IS DESTROYING MY HOUSE

THEN LAY OFF THE SPROUTS!!!! Sheesh..... ;-)

Slow down...

Happy Cycler
I'm actually glad that one of my attempts to start a conversation finally worked and something kind of kicked of.

I'm actually closer to your experiences than you think, Aerial. My Mum isn't into music, and I don't know my father (maybe he's a great musician, that's where the interest in music comes from?)
But like my Mum is so illiterate when it comes to music, but she said I was always into music and wanting to play instruments (yet she never gave me a lesson, wonder why)
My interest in music seems less grown out of my experiences and maybe more organically grown within me? I'd like to find out where this artistic and musical side in me comes from.

And louise, stay safe. What's happening? Are the storms over there that bad?
Last edited by The Telepathic Kid on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sherbet Head
:lol:

...AND GARDEN

Neither of my parents, or my brother are into music. My uncle is, but none of my immediate family. Go figure.

Slow down...

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground