This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't know why, but after a long period of time, I am still in love with this.
Guess it's just done nicely, and it really sounds good.

phpBB [media]
When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare in the sun

Happy Cycler
Wasn't sure where to put this, but it is brillaint: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ould-we-do
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

That was fantastic, thanks for sharing Fugee. Please do check this out folks.

Slow down...

Friendly Stranger
Pogo is a bit out of my range of music (it would be a little too digital for my liking) but I was actually quite a fan for some time. Skynet Symphonic sealed the deal for me.

Happy Cycler
what is your "range" of music? What kind of artists do you like? what sounds, genres, etc.

Friendly Stranger
Its eclectic down to the point of liking individual songs by artists or even just listening to a segment of music that really speaks to me. Anything that meets my personal preference for 'purity'. I have to say that I am as much of an MBV fanatic as a Boards one, though. I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of years ago. What pleases your ears?

Dayvan Cowboy
Alpha Rainbow wrote:Its eclectic down to the point of liking individual songs by artists or even just listening to a segment of music that really speaks to me. Anything that meets my personal preference for 'purity'. I have to say that I am as much of an MBV fanatic as a Boards one, though. I was lucky enough to see them live a couple of years ago. What pleases your ears?

I think the question is, do you still have your ears after seeing MBV?

I love them but I would never see them live, ever. Our ears are precious and do not heal well after a certain point.

Dayvan Cowboy
Also to answer the original question I am open to lots of different kinds of music, but I am not one of those people who says 'oh a bit of everything you know.' Honestly I view that as something that many people say as a placeholder because they haven't yet found their true musical passion in a few key artists. I know you guys know what I mean seeing as we are all devoted fans of a particular band and for many of us BOC was the gateway to truly meaningful musical experiences.

Anyway, I gravitate towards slower tempos, strings, well used synths. I like soft, warm or ethereal sounds. I like artists who show restraint where less may be more. I also gravitate towards work which I perceive as being possessed of a subtle intelligence (how elitist does that sound? hah), which doesn't shove concepts in your face. To paraphrase BOC, I don't like ideas "surrounded by explosions and neon lights". I think that kind of approach which is so common can in certain cases betray laziness or superficial thinking, though obviously it really depends on the kind of music or area, sometimes that approach makes sense and it is needless to bury your ideas down.

Probably most importantly for me is that the artists I like to listen to are the ones I trust. They are trying to tell me something, maybe teach me something or guide my thoughts in a certain direction, and for me to let them do that I really need them to kind of show me through their skill and craftsmanship that they know what they want to say completely and trust in themselves completely. This probably tells you a bit about what I am like as a person actually. Not to say that I instantly turn people away who I don't know well in real life or in considering their art, but it is a process which I go through internally with something new.

Dayvan Cowboy
I sometimes catch myself saying exactly that and it is lazy shorthand for 'a lot of stuff over different genres' in my case. Theres probably common threads but they very rarely stop at genre boundaries.

Just about any rule i can apply I have exceptions to as well. I love sonic experimentation but there are some very nonexperimental musicians sonically in my playlist. I love originality but theres one particular band I love that Im convinced made their best work accidentally while trying to rip off someone else and failing... their later albums almost prove it by being not as good.

Friendly Stranger
Aerial Boundaries wrote:AI like artists who show restraint where less may be more. I also gravitate towards work which I perceive as being possessed of a subtle intelligence (how elitist does that sound? hah), which doesn't shove concepts in your face.

Hey, I am not the only one. It is strange how the intention of the artist can be so well conveyed in their music like a direct link to parts of their mind that remain hidden in the material world. That is pretty much the base of my being 'eclectic' about music actually.

To answer the other question. I was weary about damaging my hearing as it is my most treasured sense but I felt that MBV where worth a one off sacrifice. I chose not to wear earplugs and I was standing at the very front as close to Kevin's side of the stage as I could get (wall of amplifiers) and, although it was the loudest sound I had ever been exposed to, it seemed to be quite pleasant and non-intrusive to my ears even in the 'holocaust' section. Afterwards I left the building and it seriously felt like the entire eq of my hearing had been played around with. No ringing, no pain, just the fact that as someone who finds the electronic and mechanical noises of London quite intrusive I was suddenly at peace with it as literally all of the treble in my hearing was gone for three days. It was close to meditation, really.
My hearing wasn't permanently affected by it and I think seeing them once without earplugs is acceptable. Maybe next time (if there is one!) I will put them in and be more cautious.

Happy Cycler
Well I've had to re establish what I enjoy in music because I recently had a huge overhaul.

around 2-3 years ago my taste moved away from electronic music and into other areas. From when I was about 11 my main type of music I listened to was electronic and all that, but now it shifted and I listen to a lot of folk, jazz, funk, soul and old pop.
as for newer stuff mostly indie rock, pop, soul, and still electronic and dance, but it's less of a majority and more of an equal.

I feel that what I value within the music I listen to is a sense of trueness, what is being made is because it's what the person wants to make, and not a grab for money.
I enjoy passionate vocals and performances,
I enjoy sweet rich melodies with a lot of stickiness and longevity,
vocal harmonies,
song structures which don't adhere to verse/chorus/verse structures, layers (though I've enjoyed records which are very bare as well),
emotion and unpretentiousness within the music, whether that's delivered by the music, the lyrics, the vocals, or a combination of the three,
complex polyrhythmic percussion (which is why I've simultaneously been getting into footwork and Afrobeat).
I also have a thing for female vocalists for some reason,
When a song has lyrics, I've found that good lyrics can help a song be better, but bad lyrics aren't gonna make me dislike the song.

might return if I think of others

Happy Cycler
also a second post because didn't get to the edit in time -

I am one of those people who say a bit of everything, mostly because it's short hand. I can't name a single genre that I don't like an artist in, unless we go to subgenres, then you could say I'm not a fan of crunkcore or hardstyle, but I mean I genuinely enjoy a lot of genres. Of course there are my preferences, and if I'm pressed that's what I say (or I start naming artists), but I would never say that my taste could be pigeon-holed. This is something I have thought about for a long time, and it may be a lack of passion for music, but I personally don't feel so because I feel music runs through my veins.

I also feel that I need to get something out of the music I listen to, like an emotional kick, something powerful, could be a catchy chorus, a lump in the throat, an accelerated pace of my heart, or a tear in the eye.
This means concepts can be both subtle and unsubtle, it's just how its packaged.

I also believe in taking intelligence out of the equation when it comes to a lot of music, because it's that initial feeling which hits me, that thing inside my head which says "this is worth listening to" which I completely trust. This crap where there are records which need to be listened to multiple times to "get" because we're not "smart enough" or whatever, I don't get it.
I mean I've heard Trout Mask Replica, a pinnacle in avant garde jazz and blues, and I'm lost on it. It's not interesting, not intriguing or anything like that.
Records like Boredoms' Chocolate Synthesizer, Royal Trux's Twin Infinitives - about as batshit insane and off the wall as Trout Mask Replica, if not more so, love them. I don't exactly ask why, and when it comes to music territory this strikingly original - I couldn't even begin to tell you. It's that emotional connection which keeps me coming back, that thing which is deeper than cognitive affirmation.
I don't know if I'm actually stupid or not, jury's out on that one, but I can tell you I use my intelligence (or lack thereof) to connect with the music I listen to.

Happy Cycler
Is this the most Boards of Canada thing (that doesn't actually involve Boards of Canada) to happen?...

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/sta ... 4666127360

The man behind "Scarfolk" finds a Cold War era book of short wave radio stations in a ruined castle in Germany

A_Northern_Soul wrote:Is this the most Boards of Canada thing (that doesn't actually involve Boards of Canada) to happen?...

https://twitter.com/richard_littler/sta ... 4666127360

The man behind "Scarfolk" finds a Cold War era book of short wave radio stations in a ruined castle in Germany

That really is quite something. The guy is like a magnet for this stuff!

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
I dun goofed and left registering to vote way too late. Fuck.

If anyone reading this intends not to vote for whatever reason, do me a favour and vote Green or Labour for me? Pretty please? Half-joking.

That awkward moment when you arrive at a venue, realise you're the oldest man in there by a clear 15 years, all your mates are late and the only place to stand is next to a group of girls young enough to be your daughter. #injunction #register

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:That awkward moment when you arrive at a venue, realise you're the oldest man in there by a clear 15 years, all your mates are late and the only place to stand is next to a group of girls young enough to be your daughter. #injunction #register

I felt something similar about the AWVFTS gig last October, except in reverse...

Then I realised it didn't matter and I'm not that interesting regardless :)

Dayvan Cowboy
phpBB [media]

Sherbet Head
writing a dissertation in a week is not the way to live life

Dayvan Cowboy
Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh. diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows. Pocket-protected scientists built a wall of iron and crashed a diamond car into it at 400 miles per hour. and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of diamond and crashed a car made of iron moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall. and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a diamond car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall. and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a diamond traveling at iron car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall of metal into a 400 mile per hour made of diamond, and the resulting explosion shifted the earth's orbit 400 million miles away from the sun. saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles per hour. They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour. and as a result caused over 9000 wayward airplanes to lose track of their bearings, and make a fatal crash with over 9000 buildings in downtown New York. They spun 400 miles at diamond into iron per wall. The results were inconclusive. Finally, they placed 400 diamonds per hour in front of a car made of wall traveling at miles per iron, and the result proved without a doubt that diamonds were the hardest metal of all time, if not just the hardest metal known to man.

How's that for my 500th post

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground