This Random Thread

Random chat: movies, books, games, technology, etcetera.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
i want to move to canada. everyone wants to move to canada.

Nova Scotia Robot
valleaux wrote:
Logan71 wrote:
phpBB [media]

This makes me uncomfortable...but it is so funny at the same time.

Ya, I couldn't make it very far into that video. It is funny in how preposterous it is, ya. But it bothers me to know that some people base their strongest most important beliefs on something with completely made up evidence and a total lack of logic. Obviously, the vast majority of it is just BS to make money, but some people actually buy into it! To each his own, really, but it still bothers me. To me, any religion that demands your money I would completely avoid. Not to mention using fear tactics and how that completely contradicts their own professed ideas/beliefs.

Like I've said before, each person has the right to choose. It just really bothers me when someone makes the most important decision a human can make without actually giving it nearly enough thought. That decision being what you allow to guide you as a person.

Techboy wrote:i want to move to canada. everyone wants to move to canada.

LOL Techboy, I guess I'm living the dream. 8)

Might I suggest Ontario, BC, or Alberta. They're my favorite. Parts of the east coast is pretty cool too. You can't really go wrong though... unless you choose Manitoba... lol. Not much going on there that I know of. If you choose Quebec, I hope you know french.

Judging by how your a BoC fan, you'll want to start in Alberta. Grab a map, start in section A-1, and look for BoC clues. Best bring your detective gear.

You're probably not gonna move to Canada, but as a Canadian I felt it was my duty to be nice and help out, just in case.

May the Beaver be with you.

...yes, the mighty beaver is our official national animal. How awesome is that?! What other country has their national animal that is slang for the female genitals.

I'll just leave this here:

Yes, I know. you're all moving to Canada now. I believe my work here is done. 8)

Happy Cycler
I hear beavers are quite good at munching on wood.

those pretty redheaded beavers.

Dayvan Cowboy
747Music wrote:
valleaux wrote:
Logan71 wrote:
phpBB [media]

This makes me uncomfortable...but it is so funny at the same time.

Ya, I couldn't make it very far into that video. It is funny in how preposterous it is, ya. But it bothers me to know that some people base their strongest most important beliefs on something with completely made up evidence and a total lack of logic. Obviously, the vast majority of it is just BS to make money, but some people actually buy into it! To each his own, really, but it still bothers me. To me, any religion that demands your money I would completely avoid. Not to mention using fear tactics and how that completely contradicts their own professed ideas/beliefs.

Like I've said before, each person has the right to choose. It just really bothers me when someone makes the most important decision a human can make without actually giving it nearly enough thought. That decision being what you allow to guide you as a person.

Techboy wrote:i want to move to canada. everyone wants to move to canada.

LOL Techboy, I guess I'm living the dream. 8)

Might I suggest Ontario, BC, or Alberta. They're my favorite. Parts of the east coast is pretty cool too. You can't really go wrong though... unless you choose Manitoba... lol. Not much going on there that I know of. If you choose Quebec, I hope you know french.

I think my girlfriend can move inside the company she works for to Windsor. That's basically America tho. Quebec would be the other option IIRC but I only know like, basic french. Ou est le telebanco? < read in scottish accent.

The unicorn is scotland's national animal. Google it, it's fo real.

I'm on a remote scottish island. There's a lot of whisky and fresh fish. And also a massive storm. Wood fire on the go. Loving it.

'Ou est le telebanco PAL', I think you'll find (pal) ;-)

Slow down...

Dayvan Cowboy
Mexicola wrote:'Ou est le telebanco PAL', I think you'll find (pal) ;-)

Or the alternative but similar one, HERE!! ou est le telebanco?

Here by the way you'd love it where I am just now - back in barra!

Dayvan Cowboy
A known side effect of my medication (only on it temporarily) is hearing music etc at approximately a semitone lower and lo and behold it has happened to me. I have to raise any music by 0.7 semitones for it to sound 'normal'. This is actually quite amusing.

Dayvan Cowboy
Actually fuck it. If none of you 'get' tomorrow's harvest yet, try listening at -0.7 semitones (make sure it is a clean alteration though and it does not mess with the sound quality. It enhanced the experience twofold for me.

Valotonin wrote:A known side effect of my medication (only on it temporarily) is hearing music etc at approximately a semitone lower and lo and behold it has happened to me. I have to raise any music by 0.7 semitones for it to sound 'normal'. This is actually quite amusing.

I'm happy you can find humor in it. It'd drive me nuts!

Dayvan Cowboy
2020k wrote:I'm happy you can find humor in it. It'd drive me nuts!

Ah well, when trying to put a track to tape it is a little bit annoying actually. I have to go back over recordings I made a couple of days ago and rerecord them with the pitch a little higher. The novelty of it hasn't worn off though. News themes sound quite a bit cooler than usual.

Dayvan Cowboy
I had a thing last year where my ears were detuned by different amounts. That made stuff sound very odd.

Happy Cycler
What medication would that be? Just curious...odd side effect.

Totally unrelated but by the way, can anyone with the Geogaddi vinyl repress tell me if it sounds notably different at all than it originally did?
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Rodheh wrote:What medication would that be? Just curious...odd side effect.

Ironically my doctor is concerned with my controlled use of codeine (no tolerance gained in two and a half years and counting) to an extent in which he is trying to give me carbamazepine as a substitute. He says it is more 'medically acceptable'. It gave me bad headaches after the first couple of days so I have discontinued. The other side effects include weird blood disorders etc etc. More medically acceptable usually means something synthetic and deadly that will slowly harm you. Basically he is reading the medical book on mood stabilizers and prescribing as recommended because he can't believe that codeine has basically been curing me of something for years now.

Happy Cycler

Totally unrelated but by the way, can anyone with the Geogaddi vinyl repress tell me if it sounds notably different at all than it originally did?

Are you hearing it a few semi-tones lower? ;)

But in all seriousness nah I don't think so, there was an issue with distortion on Corsair but my repress copies seem to be free of that. Unless you mean something other than surface noise/pressing issues and actually mean the music itself?
Sagan: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Basinski: I wanted Cascade to become this crystalline organism like a star or a liquid crystal spaceship, a jellyfish traveling through the galaxy…

Dayvan Cowboy
MrMessiah wrote:I had a thing last year where my ears were detuned by different amounts. That made stuff sound very odd.

I had that too when I had a particularly bad cold! It was kinda cool after I got used to it. Didn't last more than a few days.

Dayvan Cowboy
Techboy wrote:
MrMessiah wrote:I had a thing last year where my ears were detuned by different amounts. That made stuff sound very odd.

I had that too when I had a particularly bad cold! It was kinda cool after I got used to it. Didn't last more than a few days.

Something I have never experienced. Can either of you describe your experience?

Happy Cycler
Is carbamazepine an opioid? Curious as to why he'd give you that in place of one, though then again I don't know your condition exactly.

And thanks Tom. Always looking out for differing mixes of that album and noticed it was recut back in 2013...seems the Corsair issue explains why.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Nova Scotia Robot
Valotonin wrote:

Ironically my doctor is concerned with my controlled use of codeine (no tolerance gained in two and a half years and counting) to an extent in which he is trying to give me carbamazepine as a substitute. He says it is more 'medically acceptable'. It gave me bad headaches after the first couple of days so I have discontinued. The other side effects include weird blood disorders etc etc. More medically acceptable usually means something synthetic and deadly that will slowly harm you. Basically he is reading the medical book on mood stabilizers and prescribing as recommended because he can't believe that codeine has basically been curing me of something for years now.

After being on codeine for 6 years (almost 7 years right now) my tolerance was crap. I was taking usually a minimum of 6 every day for a while, sometimes more. Since going off all of my other meds and onto a natural solution I still take codeine, but now I only take 2 per day, and some days none at all. This makes me very happy as narcotics aren't exactly known for being good for you, heh. Once I start into a regular exercise program I'll be taking codeine even less often for obvious reasons.

I would highly recommend you doing a ton of your own research on your options for treatment of whatever you are dealing with. DO NOT rely solely on your doctor to know the best treatment for you. No doctor is the perfect doctor. There's just too much involved. I say this because more prescription meds is really scary. Please believe me on that. If you end up on a bunch of different meds, the side effects can end up being just as bad or in some cases even worse as the problem they're trying to treat. That is what happened with me. I then did a ton of research and found a safe alternative treatment that actually had no side effects, along with the safest way to switch over, and I did this with as much professional support as I could find. IT WAS HELL switching over! If you can avoid getting into that problem, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy. But now I've improved so much, both mentally and physically. So the switch was worth it. I just don't want anyone else to end up in that situation. I'm not saying that you WILL. I just want you to be aware and to avoid it if possible.

Nova Scotia Robot
Rodheh wrote:Is carbamazepine an opioid? Curious as to why he'd give you that in place of one, though then again I don't know your condition exactly.

No, Carbamazepine is not an opioid or any sort of narcotic. Interestingly enough, I think it's sometimes used to actually treat opiate addiction, like cocaine addiction. I think it's kinda like what I was on for a long time, Amitriptyline. It acts both as a mood stabilizer and a pain stabilizer, not a pain killer though. It kinda helps lessen and even out the pain over the day, instead of killing the pain soon after taking a pain killer, then the pain comes back in a few hours.

Dayvan Cowboy
747Music wrote:
After being on codeine for 6 years (almost 7 years right now) my tolerance was crap. I was taking usually a minimum of 6 every day for a while, sometimes more. Since going off all of my other meds and onto a natural solution I still take codeine, but now I only take 2 per day, and some days none at all. This makes me very happy as narcotics aren't exactly known for being good for you, heh. Once I start into a regular exercise program I'll be taking codeine even less often for obvious reasons.

I would highly recommend you doing a ton of your own research on your options for treatment of whatever you are dealing with. DO NOT rely solely on your doctor to know the best treatment for you. No doctor is the perfect doctor. There's just too much involved. I say this because more prescription meds is really scary. Please believe me on that. If you end up on a bunch of different meds, the side effects can end up being just as bad or in some cases even worse as the problem they're trying to treat. That is what happened with me. I then did a ton of research and found a safe alternative treatment that actually had no side effects, along with the safest way to switch over, and I did this with as much professional support as I could find. IT WAS HELL switching over! If you can avoid getting into that problem, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy. But now I've improved so much, both mentally and physically. So the switch was worth it. I just don't want anyone else to end up in that situation. I'm not saying that you WILL. I just want you to be aware and to avoid it if possible.

Bless you, 747. The fact that you clearly spent a lot of time on that shows a lot of empathy and concern and it is vastly appreciated. I really hope the rest of your recovery is a painless transition in to happiness as you clearly deserve it. In short, I have come to accept that the medical industry has a lot more to do with guesswork and backroom deals (i.e selling a medication as a cure-all elixir as opposed to the one or two purposes it can actually be marginally effective for) than patient care. I follow a general rule now of only using plant alkaloids as medicine and respecting the fact that they should only be used, with caution, as medicine and not for recreation (sometimes recreation can be a medicine so I am not one to judge those that do). One of the few upsides with codeine is the fact that it does little to no long term damage if addiction is avoided and it has no risk of nurological impairment etc. I have come to similar conclusions about doctors and people that seem to be on daily medications that only seem to worsen the problem. A lot of prescription medication ironically influences the problem it is trying to treat negatively and if I had my conspiracy mindset with me today I would say that that is a real money generator for the medical industry. Create the problem, sell the solution.

PreviousNext

Return to The Playground