Did anything come of that Closes artwork discovery?

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
I forget where the discussion was, but a while back someone found the source for part of the album art for Closes in a set of photos that weren't taken until after the album's release date. Did anything more come to light about that?

Also, hi.

Posts Quantity
Helllllo. I never saw anything that wasn't captured by Fredd-E on bocpages, basically the logical conclusion that if Closes had artwork before the repress that it was likely different. If you're wondering if/what it was, that's a good question...

Dayvan Cowboy
iirc it was from interviews carried out by pic of kosovan refugees staying in glasgows red road flats. to this day the council continues to dump refugees im those squallid, awful places.

in scotland close (soft s) is a narrow passage between two buildings or the common hallway in shared accomodation (usually the staircase in tenements). as a result i always read this album name in that way. this has i guess a loose connection to the pic photos. that said the photos were definitely dated 97 by various paraphanelia visible in the photos not to mention actually the fact they are kosovan refugees... i tend to reckon they just asked pic to mock up some fake album covers for their website and that the supposed album and track titles have nothing at all to do with the associated images, and that little to no thought went into what bearded internet men would think of it in twenty years time.

Sherbet Head
Mdg also stated in a PM at one point that the original cassettes had no artwork, so the artwork we all know was exclusive to the limited CD reprint which came out the same year the original artwork is dated from.

Source
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
Sometimes I wish we'd never found out about the pre-Twoism releases. The old music we do have available is honestly some of my favourite work by them, not to mention it contains what is probably my favourite BoC track ever. Makes me sad every time a thread comes up about releases that deep down I feel we'll never get to hear. I know the brother's probably don't want us hearing it, but realising that doesn't stop me seriously longing for a copy of Hooper Bay. Still, I'm very thankful for everything we do have by them, they changed my outlook on music :)

Sherbet Head
Skimming Stone wrote:Sometimes I wish we'd never found out about the pre-Twoism releases. The old music we do have available is honestly some of my favourite work by them, not to mention it contains what is probably my favourite BoC track ever. Makes me sad every time a thread comes up about releases that deep down I feel we'll never get to hear. I know the brother's probably don't want us hearing it, but realising that doesn't stop me seriously longing for a copy of Hooper Bay. Still, I'm very thankful for everything we do have by them, they changed my outlook on music :)

I don't think that they want the early albums to remain unheard. It seems to me that the problem is more about them taking forever to make them available. Music seems to be very low on their list of priorities, which is frustrating to us Twoismers who don't know anything of them aside from the music.

Posts Quantity
I wouldn't say music is low on their list of priorities. I'd say old music is low on their list of priorities. From interviews, I gather that most of the work they put into creating and developing music is writing, recording, and perfecting new tracks, not curating old ones. And considering they are self-described perfectionists, that takes up a lot of their time.

I actually do expect we'll see the BoCset at some point. However, I don't expect it until at least 2020 or after their next album, whichever is later.
Welcome, my friend. These are my people; now they are your people too.

Sherbet Head
Im not convinced that they want their early stuff to be heard, or even want to give us a Bocset. You know warp is probably all over them about both. They just want to make and release music when they want to. If anything I can see them using some old songs like the mysterious "1 SINGLE old song redone" on TH which I dont believe it was ever definitively proven which it was.
"We're just a band. Not an IDM band, not an electronic band, and not a dance band."

"An imaginary road trip in a rusty pick-up heading west through the brain"

Friendly Stranger
Jango9 wrote:Mdg also stated in a PM at one point that the original cassettes had no artwork, so the artwork we all know was exclusive to the limited CD reprint which came out the same year the original artwork is dated from.

Ahh, okay. That's really confusing, though. No artwork at all? I thought cassette version of Closes was a real commercial release (albeit a very limited one), given there were 100 copies made. It must've at least had the title & bandname written on it somewhere, right?

Skimming Stone wrote:The old music we do have available is honestly some of my favourite work by them, not to mention it contains what is probably my favourite BoC track ever. Makes me sad every time a thread comes up about releases that deep down I feel we'll never get to hear. I know the brother's probably don't want us hearing it, but realising that doesn't stop me seriously longing for a copy of Hooper Bay.

I completely agree. I love BOC because of the eerie, ambivalent nostalgia they bring out in their music, and for me R35TT and the Old Tunes have a lot more of that than their other albums.

Techboy wrote:i tend to reckon they just asked pic to mock up some fake album covers for their website and that the supposed album and track titles have nothing at all to do with the associated images, and that little to no thought went into what bearded internet men would think of it in twenty years time.

In fairness, disregarding the thoughts of men is a very rewarding pastime.

Eagle Minded
nick47 wrote:"1 SINGLE old song redone"

Wait what is this?

Eagle Minded
Nottoolate wrote:

Wait what is this?

I think it was stated by the band that one track from TH is an older track of theirs, but we never really figured out which it was.

Sherbet Head
Skimming Stone wrote:
Nottoolate wrote:

Wait what is this?

I think it was stated by the band that one track from TH is an older track of theirs, but we never really figured out which it was.

Well it has to be Collapse. Just listen to it, it sounds like something from Old Tunes 2.

Boqurant
drillkicker wrote:
Skimming Stone wrote:
Nottoolate wrote:
Wait what is this?

Well it has to be Collapse. Just listen to it, it sounds like something from Old Tunes 2.

But New Seeds has a motif that's from a R35TT song.
See:
http://bocpages.org/wiki/New_Seeds

So I'm guessing that's the one.

Eagle Minded
[quote="Timbob"]
But New Seeds has a motif that's from a R35TT song.

So I'm guessing that's the one.[/quote
I've honestly never seen much of a similarity between New Seeds and Audiotrack A14, but maybe I just have a terrible ear for this kind of thing.

Sherbet Head
Timbob wrote:But New Seeds has a motif that's from a R35TT song.
See:
http://bocpages.org/wiki/New_Seeds

So I'm guessing that's the one.

I've never noticed that, but I do hear it now.

Nova Scotia Robot
Closes was not a commercial release as a cassette tape. It was put together just for family and friends. There was no artwork, but most likely a simply label on the tape with the title and artist name.

Also, remember that we were told a Boxset is in the works and were never told that was cancelled.

Friendly Stranger
747Music wrote:Closes was not a commercial release as a cassette tape. It was put together just for family and friends.

Not a particularly convincing possibility. The cassette release of Closes was supposedly 100 copies, according to the Cosmic Crofter discography. I can't see anyone making 100 copies of a cassette album just to give to their friends. On a side note, that's a similar quantity to early prints of Boc Maxima (50 on CD-R) and Twoism (100 on vinyl), as best I can work out. Those are both commercial releases from Music70, at least in the sense that they weren't solely for family and friends.

Eagle Minded
Skimming Stone wrote:
Nottoolate wrote:

Wait what is this?

My guess is Sundown. It's an interlude track that to me sounds like it could have been one of the tracks left out from Geogaddi.

I've also heard of "Sundown" or "Sundowning" as a slang term for when someone with schizophrenia or dementia lapses on their medication, since these meds usually are taken at dinner it usually happens in the evening.

Really wish we could get a confirmation on which track it was though, that question has been bugging me for the longest time.
"The patience of a true enthusiast is unlimited." - Albert Camus

Eagle Minded
Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:
747Music wrote:Closes was not a commercial release as a cassette tape. It was put together just for family and friends.

Not a particularly convincing possibility. The cassette release of Closes was supposedly 100 copies, according to the Cosmic Crofter discography. I can't see anyone making 100 copies of a cassette album just to give to their friends. On a side note, that's a similar quantity to early prints of Boc Maxima (50 on CD-R) and Twoism (100 on vinyl), as best I can work out. Those are both commercial releases from Music70, at least in the sense that they weren't solely for family and friends.

Boc Maxima was never commercially released either. If any of the pre-Twoism albums were released outside of family and friends, we would have heard about them by now. As for the original artwork, I would imagine it looks something like the Old Tunes tapes.

Posts Quantity
Gates Of Horn And Ivory wrote:

I don't know how good my Twoism is, but when I hear "for family and friends" my mind always translates to "for Hexagon Sun" which I always figured included friends/family to an extent. So mentally I put the numbers of copies made for these releases into that context (side note--what the number subtly reveals about the HS collective says something by itself to me). Personally I don't think that has any impact on the question of what art is out there though. It's HS after all, more than just music :D

Next

Return to Boards of Canada