GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Boqurant
Hmmm. I do get annoyed with fakes, as its like witnessing a bad cover band. Only, the band arent covering the tunes, but the means of delivery. Its all fine to be inspired, and do something new in homage to your influences (I mean BoC do this), but to emulate and pretend its something it is not is just painful, both for the person creating it and the fanbase. Its amateur and it points to a real paucity of intellect.

That said, I am in two minds about this one, and I wouldnt shit on reddit as a delivery vehicle. Its 2020, not 2013. Most social media is monolithic, corporate and controlled, and there are few chaotic places where to seed info (like reddit or youtube) with the chance it gets buried in the noise. I would be disappointed if BoC did the same thing (hidden records) as it would suggest calcification. Plus, they are all about communication and messaging, whether its shortwave, samples, vhs, documentaries, or whatever. Likes, Claps, Reddit, whatever, is the modern ephemera. Modern means of messaging. So I give it the benefit of the doubt.

But, if its a troll, I will be pissed...

Dayvan Cowboy
Geogandhi wrote:
Echelon wrote:The one thing I don't like about the BOC fandom is the tendency for people to create lies, hoaxes and musical fakes. I guess when the artist themselves isn't present in the community this sort of thing happens, but it is annoying.

No point getting annoyed with fakes, it's just a bit of fun, albeit at our expense but we're ready to lap it up. It's not as if these people are trying to further their own music with them and if they do have some twisted idea that they can jump on the back of BoCs music as a leg up, you can see that does not work, it's pretty much musical suicide because of how possessive fans get over things that are not even theirs.

Yeah I guess you're right! It's harmless and can be funny to see how the fanbase reactions. I think the only ones I have issue are the convincing ones because I"m definitely one of those people who gets hyped easily. And well, like someone said, they are definitely capitalizing on the fact that the BOC twitter was liking a lot more things.

But yeah, I've been enjoying this ride for the most part and I'm warily hopeful as ever.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
vonS wrote:Hmmm. I do get annoyed with fakes, as its like witnessing a bad cover band. Only, the band arent covering the tunes, but the means of delivery. Its all fine to be inspired, and do something new in homage to your influences (I mean BoC do this), but to emulate and pretend its something it is not is just painful, both for the person creating it and the fanbase. Its amateur and it points to a real paucity of intellect.

That's going a bit far, it's not as if it's your music that is being covered, I would understand if it was.
I would probably, for the sake of your brain, not to get too excited about this, if it's that painful to you personally then ignore it until something more solid or confirming happens, whenever that will be.
You could feel the bullshit

Boqurant
Geogandhi wrote:
vonS wrote:Hmmm. I do get annoyed with fakes, as its like witnessing a bad cover band. Only, the band arent covering the tunes, but the means of delivery. Its all fine to be inspired, and do something new in homage to your influences (I mean BoC do this), but to emulate and pretend its something it is not is just painful, both for the person creating it and the fanbase. Its amateur and it points to a real paucity of intellect.

That's going a bit far, it's not as if it's your music that is being covered, I would understand if it was.
I would probably, for the sake of your brain, not to get too excited about this, if it's that painful to you personally then ignore it until something more solid or confirming happens, whenever that will be.

Yeah, mate. It is a bit bombastic. I am enjoying the ride, whatever it is. Only, its 1:30 am in Asia, and prob too uch scotch. My wife should take my internet off me!

I do think, however, that BoC put a lot of effort in their work, and the fans put a lot of effort in interpreting snd enjoying it. They are an unusual band with a committed fanbase, so the odd strong opinion should be tolerated or emphasised with.

Sherbet Head
I get it, i'm a big fan too of course.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Roswell wrote:anyone recognize the picture that shows up at 0:20 in the video? we were able to find the SXT pic pretty quickly so maybe we can find this one.
Could have sworn this was a still from a fan made music video or a video for a purported early album track, but I can't find anything now. It seems eerily familiar, I feel like I've definitely seen it before somewhere. I don't want to go into a rabbit hole today but thinking back to the TH ARG they linked some fan made videos together via comments and annotations, each one giving more clues. Maybe this screenshot is pointing to another video?

Posts Quantity
Man, I hope this is something...even just the start of something.

Boqurant
darling_candy wrote:Going down the rabbit hole I just found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wcV-sDkO84

Speech clips remind me of this:
phpBB [media]

Yeah it seems to be samples from this vid. Don't think BOC would sample youtube clips. Or would they?
Image ImageImage

Eagle Minded
I hear: "...it brings us all together......like a network of machines......all living things......it's time....."

Eagle Minded
curious...
you don't care to hear until you listen

Friendly Stranger
https://imgur.com/b0WSLKg

the saturated version.
no results on reverse image. even inverted it.

but theres a guy with a beard, curly hair and a blue shirt.

Posts Quantity
today might be a good day
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Posts Quantity
arvy wrote:2020-10-23

What's the relevance of this date?

It's not the same piece, but the clip reminds me of the thank you 'message' used at the 2014 SAY Awards, similar length/production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXmTSOujrE

Dayvan Cowboy
Logan71 wrote:
arvy wrote:2020-10-23

What's the relevance of this date?

It's not the same piece, but the clip reminds me of the thank you 'message' used at the 2014 SAY Awards, similar length/production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjXmTSOujrE

none. but the 2020 first came in my mind, when I was talking to people that TH is the best Warp abum of 2010's. That means there should be no more new music past decade. Also I somehow really wanted for them to release a distant continuation album of TCH. It was also released in october. With catalogue number wrp123. 2020-10-23:123

anyway, today's aug-22?

isn't 256 was the catalogue number for TH. Then 02:57 possibly hinting for the next boc release.

Friendly Stranger
Catherine Fell's 'About' on youtube is also stuck on 666 views.

But the video is past 720.
May be coincidence.

Boqurant
Lol. Im not sure that number of views can be manufactured!

The whole event is starting to look a bit preposterous. Its using Geogaddi era symbolism and Tomorrows Harvest era methodologies. So the more I think about it, I view it more as a homage than an actual BoC event.

Would like to be proved wrong, of course.

Friendly Stranger
vonS wrote:Lol. Im not sure that number of views can be manufactured!

The whole event is starting to look a bit preposterous. Its using Geogaddi era symbolism and Tomorrows Harvest era methodologies. So the more I think about it, I view it more as a homage than an actual BoC event.

Would like to be proved wrong, of course.

It can't be manufactured, thats why i dont get it..

it's strange, probably coincidence.. but a very cool one.

Sherbet Head
Okay. Can we recap what's been going on?

So far I've got:

1. A bunch of likes on social media.
2. A random post on reddit.
3. A youtube channel named with an anagram of Hell Interface displaying a code of some kind, distorted audio and an image of a pier.

Did I miss anything?

I really want this to be something, but my BOCDAR is telling me we're being trolled by someone with too much time on their hands. (As far the likes on Twitter and Instagram, I'm in the camp of those who believe these are not an indication of anything and are probably the work of someone from Warp or possibly MDG.) Please, by all means, convince me I'm wrong and feel free to say, "I told you!".

Eagle Minded
I’m firmly in the skeptic camp here, but watching closely anyway. A Hell Interface record would be very fitting for 2020. I’d love for them to drop something sloppy, dark, and weird like this into the world then follow up with some super slick BoC EP 2 months later, then maybe a Marcus acoustic solo album of folk songs just after the holidays, and finally a box set of selected unheard early works and Geogaddi ketamine session outtakes. A boy can dream... or hallucinate.
preparation for a dive.

The Ketamine boxset is just silence.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada