GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Sherbet Head
aaaand normality resumes.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Why would they start any ARG (or anything for that matter) on Reddit instead of here or WATMM?
---
Fuck transphobes

Boqurant
I have to say hats off to everyone who was involved in trying to solve this thing. It was fun to read through and more importantly nice to see this board get a healthy boost in activity. Lets hope next time around, the brothers are the ones behind it.

Eagle Minded

Friendly Stranger
Geogandhi wrote:check their privileges.

Haha, the absolute state of this.

Sherbet Head
RedMarauder wrote:
Geogandhi wrote:check their privileges.

Haha, the absolute state of this.

That's fair ha, it shouldn't even be used in jest. bad form.

Dayvan Cowboy
Plus side to hoax: Had a lot of fun engaging with the community and speculating on the nature of it despite not helping much

Negative side to hoax: Now I want a BOC release even more! lmao
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Boqurant
The Spaniard wrote:The album will be released soon for those who are impatient people.

Ah. Soon.

That would explain Big Jimmys choice of MBV sample and the Kevin Shields photo. Its coming “soon”.

Lol.

Sorry. No new rabbit hole intended. Just joking (and, anyway, the concept of soon in BoC seems to be measured in years).

Dayvan Cowboy
vonS wrote:
The Spaniard wrote:The album will be released soon for those who are impatient people.

Ah. Soon.

That would explain Big Jimmys choice of MBV sample and the Kevin Shields photo. Its coming “soon”.

Lol.

Sorry. No new rabbit hole intended. Just joking (and, anyway, the concept of soon in BoC seems to be measured in years).

I will mention this on Kevin Shields. The My Bloody Valentine website is like the BOC websites: Completely contentless and seemingly a placeholder for future content.

Shields promised an album and an EP in 2018, due 2019, but it never came.

As we know, BOC are massive fans of Shields and his musical approach. Last time BOC released an album, it was the same year as a brand new MBV album.

I have no idea if they're correlating releases again but MBV are in the same uncertain limbo as BOC. Perhaps when one awakens the other will?

Eagle Minded
It's what I suspected, but not what I wanted...crap.

Ahh well. Back to the waiting game.
There are a lot of different 'me's, you know. There's the mad me, when I get angry.

Eagle Minded
drixlin wrote:It's what I suspected, but not what I wanted...crap.

Ahh well. Back to the waiting game.

I hear the waiting game is the happening place to be.

Boqurant
Wait a minute. Did people believe in that thing?

Boqurant
Mansin wrote:Wait a minute. Did people believe in that thing?

I was into the whole treasure hunt game, but never believed the pot of gold would be new/old/anything directly related to BoC. Seems as though some got emotionally invested in it.

Posts Quantity
Someone should make a flowchart for identifying hoaxes for next time there is a post like this one. Not me though.

Dayvan Cowboy
"does this even sound like BoC" with both arrows going to "it's not" :lol:

But seriously the main thing is just rationally asking "what resources are needed to pull this off" at any stage and seeing if it requires anything more than an average internet Schmoe has access to. Everyone conveniently forgets that the arg for tomorrow's harvest started with pressed records turning up in record shops around the world. Yes, anyone *can* press a record if they have the money but you have to admit its a barrier to entry beyond "someone made a Reddit post"

Dropping the records on multiple countries requires more people to be in on the secret. Keeping a secret is hard.

Harder is getting a national radio station to playlist your unknown white label. Or get a gallery space to run your film and tweet about it. Or set up a listening party at a derelict water park in a desert.

So yeah, starting from It's Not BoC until they *do something that a bored redditor couldn't do in an afternoon* seems smart :lol:

All of which isn't to say that it was no fun even assuming going in that it was all for fun. It was fun! And the music and the videos were kinda creative, so far as they went. Just don't get your hopes up, is all

Sherbet Head
Exactly Negamuse! *clap emoji*

Sherbet Head
Negamuse wrote:"does this even sound like BoC" with both arrows going to "it's not" :lol:

But seriously the main thing is just rationally asking "what resources are needed to pull this off" at any stage and seeing if it requires anything more than an average internet Schmoe has access to. Everyone conveniently forgets that the arg for tomorrow's harvest started with pressed records turning up in record shops around the world. Yes, anyone *can* press a record if they have the money but you have to admit its a barrier to entry beyond "someone made a Reddit post"

Dropping the records on multiple countries requires more people to be in on the secret. Keeping a secret is hard.

Harder is getting a national radio station to playlist your unknown white label. Or get a gallery space to run your film and tweet about it. Or set up a listening party at a derelict water park in a desert.

So yeah, starting from It's Not BoC until they *do something that a bored redditor couldn't do in an afternoon* seems smart :lol:

All of which isn't to say that it was no fun even assuming going in that it was all for fun. It was fun! And the music and the videos were kinda creative, so far as they went. Just don't get your hopes up, is all

You're much kinder than I am. I thought it was some moronic QAnon-style bullshit.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think we're all starved that some of us wanted to believe this. Sort of like when you're in the desert and you imagine an oasis off in the distance but it's really just a mirage.

It's kind of saddening really that we're at this point.

That said, I'll be honest. I kind of want a "no-bullshit" release when BOC are finally ready. I know the whole release of TH was grand, but in some ways it was over-the-top. And I think it sets up unrealistic expectations for another release to have similar thematics. (Which is why some people believed this reddit post and its cryptic nature.)

Not even Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds had such a grand celebration when they were released.

Dayvan Cowboy
Also just to put things back on track, this came from the Instagram a day or two before the stupid hoax started: https://imgur.com/a/CbiMJvE

Posts Quantity
Echelon wrote:Also just to put things back on track, this came from the Instagram a day or two before the stupid hoax started: https://imgur.com/a/CbiMJvE

They also liked my post: "Imagine they would play live again."
I would take everything from that account with a grain of salt because it just seems too good to be true. The twitter account is where i would put my money on. 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada