GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
vonS wrote:Seriously, though, facetiousness aside, its a tough project. You may be able to nail the audio (of whatever album), but the undercurrents and conceptual glue is the tough part. Its so much more than the sonics, in my view.

I just want to add that this is why I'm excited for a new BOC album. It's not just the chord progressions (even though they play a large role in it) but simply what kind of esoteric conceptual approach they take. While not flashy at all (god forbid that ever happens) the brothers make up for it with fascinating, out-of-the-box thinking.

While most artists were recording very patriotic music for 9/11, the brothers were filtering it through the hellish but intriguing fever dream that was Geogaddi.

Seriously, nowadays I can get droney, whiny synths from any rando vaporware artist on YouTube. But I feel that when/if a new BOC record comes out, it's probably going to have a lot of outsider influenced food for thought that only the BOC brand can deliver.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Sherbet Head
vonS wrote:
Seriously, though, facetiousness aside, its a tough project. You may be able to nail the audio (of whatever album), but the undercurrents and conceptual glue is the tough part. Its so much more than the sonics, in my view.

You got it, and exactly why i'll fail, but still, worth a go.
I haven't got any mastering jobs next week so i'll have some extra time to have a crack at something. i didn't think of ABPOITC, not a bad shout, and yeah Geo is a real toughy because it's so dense. I'll have a good listen to both over the next couple of days and see which I fancy more. I'm still fancying MHTRTC though. Regardless of which one, it's never going to fit on any haha.
You could feel the bullshit

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:
vonS wrote:
Seriously, though, facetiousness aside, its a tough project. You may be able to nail the audio (of whatever album), but the undercurrents and conceptual glue is the tough part. Its so much more than the sonics, in my view.

You got it, and exactly why i'll fail, but still, worth a go.
I haven't got any mastering jobs next week so i'll have some extra time to have a crack at something. i didn't think of ABPOITC, not a bad shout, and yeah Geo is a real toughy because it's so dense. I'll have a good listen to both over the next couple of days and see which I fancy more. I'm still fancying MHTRTC though. Regardless of which one, it's never going to fit on any haha.

Remember not to spend so much time in the digital world as they most likely never do. They also employ a ton of “back-mask” looping and opposite note/frequency band elements... like the muffled bassy synth notes that are in the right channel of palace posie as the main progression winds down at the end... that riff is hard to pick up unless you look for it or naturally catch it... it is the root notes/opposite notes of the main progression.... they sonically hide things... in ways not many have been able to achieve... one thing I recommend seriously would be to render their albums in mono, you will be surprised how some hidden things will “jump out” at you! ;)
... as well as merging hundreds of the same key tones into one mono tape channel... as per interviews... so that in mind... there maybe more work involved than originally planned haha

Sherbet Head
Yeah, I agree, but don't worry, i'm aware of the insane amount of work.
I largely ignore the computer with my own music, it's all gear driven and i'm used to labouring over lots of detail so it's actually not going to be that hard in that respect as we share the same dense processes. I think that's the main influence BoC have had over my music, just our results are very different. It will be just really hard to do sounds to order rather than just following my own taste. It will be like method acting I guess.

Dayvan Cowboy
BTW honest question but do you think "nebulous events" of any kind would prevent them from releasing an album this year?

I remember back in 2016 Beck kept his new album in the can for a whole year because of who was elected in the US.

Personally, I think that's lame because I firmly believe that artists who release music in times of strife are actually providing comfort and happiness for their fans. On the contrary, Phish released their 2020 album Sigma Oasis in April. It was months ahead of schedule just to show how much they loved their fans.

I guess I'm hoping that regardless of what happens the rest of this year. BOC are more like Phish than Beck. I've got no expectations but that's just my wishful thinking.

Edit: Actually if we go by the Covid and "world ending" posts on Twitter, they might be sympathetic to releasing music to comfort fans.

Eagle Minded
I should start saving money for thee BoCset, so I can buy 666 copies of it.

Sherbet Head
Excited for new AE album!
Does mean that Warp are busy with this for a bit so no BoC album.

Eagle Minded
Geogandhi wrote:Excited for new AE album!

That's the feeling I got as well

Dayvan Cowboy
Prediction: Nothing happens here from now to 10/16. No likes or anything

Eagle Minded

yeah sadly no new BoC for a while, at least until next year. But new Autechre should be fun! And we still have the 20th anniversary of IABPOITC to look forward to. Hopefully a new print or something will come for that.
no information at this moment in time

Posts Quantity
Roswell wrote:

yeah sadly no new BoC for a while, at least until next year. But new Autechre should be fun! And we still have the 20th anniversary of IABPOITC to look forward to. Hopefully a new print or something will come for that.

A new t-shirt would be almost as amazing as a new album or mix tape. Maybe a turquiose tshirt with a bird stamped on it.

Dayvan Cowboy
Kind of sad that this will most likely be another year where nothing happens.

Remember that SpongeBob episode where Kevin showed SpongeBob his "biggest fans" and they were a bunch of guys camping out in a pit. That's us, more or less. :P

Fortunately, there is a lot of other great music out there.

Dayvan Cowboy
Ae baking albums left and right. Honestly, I could care less. The only album I was really carying and proudly have my own physical copy. Is Exai.

Posts Quantity
next album, if it doesn't show up in the next 3 - 4 years, will likely be for warp's 40th anniversary in 2030
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

Eagle Minded
Oh my god then 1990 will be 40 YEARS AGO. Everyone involved in Twin Peaks will at least be in their 70s, or dead.

Posts Quantity
Tomorrow's Harvest was released 3 months after Autechre released Exai; xmas album confirmed.

Posts Quantity
boards of canada doing a spooky christmas album would be amazing. soylent night is lit
That Squidward crossover guy and Plaid fanatic. ALSO FUCK IM SORRY HAVENT BEEN INACTIVE ON HERE I'VE BEEN USING WATMM MORE :(
Rateyourmusic account: https://rateyourmusic.com/~PrezSquid
WATMM account: https://forum.watmm.com/profile/23101-p ... squidward/

Eagle Minded
The season is dripping in religious fodder. Wouldn’t run out of material lol.

Dayvan Cowboy
koroviev wrote:Tomorrow's Harvest was released 3 months after Autechre released Exai; xmas album confirmed.

Let's not forget Bibio released an album this year. Much like he released the great Silver Wilkinson in 2013.

Now all we need is My Bloody Valentine to drop something and we're due for Tomorrow's Harvest 2. I mean we already had the low budget ARG already :lol:

Real Talk: Even if I found TH somewhat of a drag, if they attempt a follow up to it, I'm totally down. Already in that apocalyptic mood. People have said TH was going to be a double album anyway :wink:

Posts Quantity
BoC and Hell Interface both have their own bandcamp now, go check my latest post
chronical wrote:Robots doing robot things

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada