GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Eagle Minded
This is the official URL for the image http://yt3.ggpht.com/Ca54blNCzkSGS9jotX ... f-no-nd-rj

Boqurant

Eagle Minded
Alright folks. Let's all get strapped in.

I love you all. <3

Eagle Minded
broke wrote:this is the original image:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... plaque.svg

Their version looks like it's on wood or something

Here is the wiki for the Pioneer plaque https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque
Last edited by demo on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dayvan Cowboy
Wow. I survived 2020 (and all those other years) enough for something to happen haha Feels good.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
The BOC version definitely looks like it's on wood. Note the wood knot on the man's leg which isn't in the original

Friendly Stranger
It would be wonderful if this does become something legit. Sat back and watched the false arg play out. This one does sound promising. Will sit back though and keep checking every day to see what people think.
Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day

Eagle Minded
IronMark wrote:The BOC version definitely looks like it's on wood. Note the wood knot on the man's leg which isn't in the original

Ah look, I found a version that DOES have the same texture, even the knot on the mans leg is viable, seems that it might not be wood, but some kind of bronze plate.
https://youtu.be/0TKiwp5Aq3Q?t=46

Sherbet Head
Oh fuck, here we go! The fact that they're using the pioneer plaque ties in with all the space imagery scattered throughout the Societas X tape!

-"This Flat Earth" has a lot of talk of space and whatnot in the radio chatter scattered throughout
-"Vulcan Mind Probe" by George Duke is named after the thing from Star Trek
-"35,000 Feet" is by a band called "Jupiter Prophet" and references the challenger explosion
-The "wind tunnel" interlude possibly refers to the wind tunnels used by various space administrations for testing things?
-The rocketship countdown sample during "Light In Darkness" that's not on the original YMO album
-The reversed track near the end of the tape is called "Little Star" (this one is a bit of a stretch lol)

I also think that the whole tape in general has a rather "space-y" feel about it even when it's not directly referencing outer space, though that might just be a matter of personal projection. A space-themed BoC release would be fucking awesome lmao

Did I miss any other direct space references on the tape?
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Eagle Minded
The Pioneer plaque image was also used in Bowie’s Blackstar booklet.
Let's not forget when David Bowie passed away the brothers actually said something.

Apparently David Bowie said that Black Star was inspired by Boards of Canada among other artists.

“When describing one of the first songs we recorded, ‘Somewhere’, David referenced the Boards Of Canada song ‘Alpha And Omega’ as an approach”.

Dayvan Cowboy
A while ago, Josh (I think it was) had a theory that BOC were producing a David Bowie album and when he died, that plan went out the window. Perhaps they're finally going to release the BOC Bowie album or perhaps the music they wrote for it alone.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:A while ago, Josh (I think it was) had a theory that BOC were producing a David Bowie album and when he died, that plan went out the window. Perhaps they're finally going to release the BOC Bowie album or perhaps the music they wrote for it alone.

Wow... I wouldn't mind if Josh came back and re-dug up that theory, honestly, I love the idea of that

Boqurant
Interesting how the guy seems to be holding the hexagon.
Image ImageImage

Dayvan Cowboy
Josh wrote:I haven't posted any ridiculous, completely unfounded speculation in awhile, so here goes.

The next BoC album after TH wasn't going to be a BoC album. It was going to be a David Bowie album produced by BoC. When Bowie sadly passed, the all the planning and prep work the brothers had been doing came to an abrupt halt. See their twitter tribute to Bowie, "there are no words". They have only recently begun to work on new material after spending a long time figuring out what they want to do next.

How's that?

I thought this was an awesome theory and I officially decided that was what happened to BOC. Interesting that now there are some ties to Bowie with this new art

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:You know what adds slight credence to this awesome theory? MDG stopped being a presence on here after 2015. Right after Bowie died.

But on the other hand, does that mean they were going to produce Blackstar or was this a different album? Bowie did mention he was listening to Boards of Canada around the time he died.

Edit: Last MDG post was Fri Dec 04, 2015 and Bowie died in January so man, that's all too coincidental!

bungler666 wrote:What if Bowie was a Hexagon Sun member? :shock:

I've lost it, this is all too much, back to page 578 of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=288061

Eagle Minded
Sorry to be a Negative Nancy but this whole BoC Bowie thing is nonsense. Thousands of artists paid tribute to Bowie when he died. He was probably the most influential musician to die since John Lennon, just because BOC happened to post something doesn't have to mean there's more to it. Not everything they do has to have mysterious connotations! ;)

I'm far more excited about focusing on the tangible and what this could mean.

Posts Quantity
[url][/url]
Jango9 wrote:Oh fuck, here we go! The fact that they're using the pioneer plaque ties in with all the space imagery scattered throughout the Societas X tape!

-"This Flat Earth" has a lot of talk of space and whatnot in the radio chatter scattered throughout
-"35,000 Feet" is by a band called "Jupiter Prophet" and references the challenger explosion
-The "wind tunnel" interlude possibly refers to the wind tunnels used by various space administrations for testing things?
-The rocketship countdown sample during "Light In Darkness" that's not on the original YMO album
-The reversed track near the end of the tape is called "Little Star" (this one is a bit of a stretch lol)

I also think that the whole tape in general has a rather "space-y" feel about it even when it's not directly referencing outer space, though that might just be a matter of personal projection. A space-themed BoC release would be fucking awesome lmao

Love this! I also like how the figures on side six of geogaddi are roughly in the same style--the parents are grown up now. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdulcetdarkmatter.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F11%2F01%2Fboards-of-canada-geogaddi%2F&psig=AOvVaw0lqbJS0QnWEFA7RJPF5Tpv&ust=1599595841959000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKij6oLt1-sCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:Oh fuck, here we go! The fact that they're using the pioneer plaque ties in with all the space imagery scattered throughout the Societas X tape!

I am 100% for a BOC space themed album. I wonder if this is going to be their equivalent of Eno's Apollo Atmosphere's and Soundtracks but hopefully with that sinister and unusual edge that BOC tend to have. The concept of space captivated a lot of psychedelic musicians in the sixties and seventies and yielded us classics such as Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive, Bowie's Space Oddity and the Grateful Dead's Dark Star. We also got movies like 2001 from that sixties/seventies space fascination. I'm not exactly knowledgeable on it but I also know that space is concept of a lot of old and pagan religions too.

There's plenty of material for BOC to give a very unique take on this genre so if they're leaning in that direction I'm down :)

Eagle Minded
I have a theory... Elon Musk will send out a probe into space containing new BoC album which was made only to be enjoyed by aliens.

Dayvan Cowboy
Fantasy. TH was BOC album telling about collapse of western the civilization (peak oil) and long descent. You can't go to space when you have nothing to poure from the ground. Space race and travel was the biggest fake prodecued during the cold war between USA and Soviets. Fantasy which has zero ground.

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada