GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Dayvan Cowboy
they'r unreleased albums stuck in limbo, forever

Posts Quantity
Davism wrote:
I was late to the electronic music game, but when I visited AZ in 2004, I discovered Little Fluffy Clouds and had it on repeat as I would go out and paint from the landscape. I also discovered AFX's SAW II while I was driving through the Rockies. It's funny how electronic music is so connected to nature for some of us.

Nothing is Real might be the best nature hike song.

I LOVE Little Fluffy Clouds - they get the sunsets here they're amazing. 100% agree when it comes to nature and it's relationship with electronic music - some of my most memorable experiences while listening to music was when I was out in the middle of nature.

One time my buddies and I went out to a secluded spot in the Amazon forest - sat down with some local shamans and let's just say me and nature had a rather close relationship that day. We were able to DJ our own songs and BoC was in my list that day for sure. Things like that are way more popular now compared to how they used to be (Retreat Guru).
"Fulfillment is structured in achievement, Achievement is structured in action, Action is structured in thinking, Thinking is structured in knowledge, Knowledge is structured in consciousness" - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Eagle Minded
d3v3l wrote:
Davism wrote:
I was late to the electronic music game, but when I visited AZ in 2004, I discovered Little Fluffy Clouds and had it on repeat as I would go out and paint from the landscape. I also discovered AFX's SAW II while I was driving through the Rockies. It's funny how electronic music is so connected to nature for some of us.

Nothing is Real might be the best nature hike song.

I LOVE Little Fluffy Clouds - they get the sunsets here they're amazing. 100% agree when it comes to nature and it's relationship with electronic music - some of my most memorable experiences while listening to music was when I was out in the middle of nature.

One time my buddies and I went out to a secluded spot in the Amazon forest - sat down with some local shamans and let's just say me and nature had a rather close relationship that day. We were able to DJ our own songs and BoC was in my list that day for sure. Things like that are way more popular now compared to how they used to be (Retreat Guru).

That sounds amazing, dood.

Dayvan Cowboy
I think we should take bets on who's going to release an album first: BOC or their often cited heroes, Ween.
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I think we should take bets on who's going to release an album first: BOC or their often cited heroes, Ween.

Or their other heroes, MBV?

Their last album came out a few months before Tomorrow's Harvest and Kevin Shields has been promising a new one for a few years now.

I'd be very keen for new Ween though! Has anything been said about new material? or are they just gonna tour the US for all eternity?

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:I think we should take bets on who's going to release an album first: BOC or their often cited heroes, Ween.

Or their other heroes, MBV?

Their last album came out a few months before Tomorrow's Harvest and Kevin Shields has been promising a new one for a few years now.

I'd be very keen for new Ween though! Has anything been said about new material? or are they just gonna tour the US for all eternity?

I came back to Ween right around now after a binge a few years ago. (Brilliant artists, and the fact that BOC mentioned them in interviews proves BOC have a sense of humor and are probably a lot more laid back than we think.)

Nothing changed though. No promised Shinola Vol 2 (in 2016 no less) or a new album. Seems tourings all they've done, sadly. I remember some drama with Dean Ween asking fans for heroin and also divorcing his wife, so perhaps that's what's holding em up haha

BOC, MBV and Ween all share the same trait of promising things, but sadly nothing comes from it. At least BOC haven't actually promised anything since 2013 in contrast with Shields and Ween promising things that never happened. Imagine how angry and upset we'd all be if BOC came right out and said, "new album in 2018" and that never happened.

Eagle Minded
Deaner was asking fans for heroin? Brown boognish sugar? Damn, should've stuck with Scotchguard...

When was this?

Dayvan Cowboy
bungler666 wrote:Deaner was asking fans for heroin? Brown boognish sugar? Damn, should've stuck with Scotchguard...

When was this?

Last time i went on a Ween binge in Feb 2019. I remember they cancelled some shows because he went to rehab because he was really blowing up on social media. Not sure what happened after that. Probably back to the whole Boognish Legacy Tour :lol:

I remember hearing from a big Ween fan friend that those two were really hanging together because the brand name paid the bills. Since Gene was clean and Dean was still a junkie, they didn't jive creatively anymore.

I wonder if BOC still work together well, or they drifted off like Dean and Gene. I've noticed that musical siblings often put up with each other longer no matter how dysfunctional they are (i.e. Kinks, Beach Boys.) Oasis being the big exception :P

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:I remember hearing from a big Ween fan friend that those two were really hanging together because the brand name paid the bills. Since Gene was clean and Dean was still a junkie, they didn't jive creatively anymore.

That's sad to hear, but always kind of expected when a band reforms solely as a touring act. Didn't realise Deaner was on the smack either. Brutal.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:I remember hearing from a big Ween fan friend that those two were really hanging together because the brand name paid the bills. Since Gene was clean and Dean was still a junkie, they didn't jive creatively anymore.

That's sad to hear, but always kind of expected when a band reforms solely as a touring act. Didn't realise Deaner was on the smack either. Brutal.

If it's any consolation, my same friend in 2019 (who's probably more savvy about what's going on with Ween than me since he goes to their concerts and whatnot) mentioned that they were attempting to record a new album. But I honestly get the same feeling about the new Ween album as the new BOC album, it's purely hypothetical and simply based around a few hints. But who knows maybe, this might be our year for both of them :D

Sherbet Head
Echelon wrote:If it's any consolation, my same friend in 2019 (who's probably more savvy about what's going on with Ween than me since he goes to their concerts and whatnot) mentioned that they were attempting to record a new album. But I honestly get the same feeling about the new Ween album as the new BOC album, it's purely hypothetical and simply based around a few hints. But who knows maybe, this might be our year for both of them :D

By that token, maybe this'll be the year that the Butthole Surfers finally drop that album they mentioned working on a few years ago :P
If The Campfire Headphase was a butterfly, would Acid Memories be the caterpillar?
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I have no clue lmao. But while you're here, go ahead and check out some of my tunes! You might dig 'em and stuff!

Dayvan Cowboy
Jango9 wrote:
Echelon wrote:If it's any consolation, my same friend in 2019 (who's probably more savvy about what's going on with Ween than me since he goes to their concerts and whatnot) mentioned that they were attempting to record a new album. But I honestly get the same feeling about the new Ween album as the new BOC album, it's purely hypothetical and simply based around a few hints. But who knows maybe, this might be our year for both of them :D

By that token, maybe this'll be the year that the Butthole Surfers finally drop that album they mentioned working on a few years ago :P

I think one of the worst things about modern times versus the sixties, is respectable bands would actually throw out an album every year. I guess the world of sound had yet to be mined so artistically minded artists could easily find ideas that hadn't been used yet.

Nowadays, these bands we list (Ween, Butthole Surfers, MBV, BOC) who strive for higher artistic ideals probably have a lot more trouble finding ideas and chord progressions that haven't been used inventively.

BTW, somewhat unrelated, but I'm kind of happy that on the Warp website. BOC are listed in "Current Artists." Which means, they're active on the Warp label. Perhaps the sheer lack of product this year from Warp may possibly lead to something big from BOC. I still think pushing Squid back to May signifies something.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:
Jango9 wrote:

I think one of the worst things about modern times versus the sixties, is respectable bands would actually throw out an album every year. I guess the world of sound had yet to be mined so artistically minded artists could easily find ideas that hadn't been used yet.

Nowadays, these bands we list (Ween, Butthole Surfers, MBV, BOC) who strive for higher artistic ideals probably have a lot more trouble finding ideas and chord progressions that haven't been used inventively.

BTW, somewhat unrelated, but I'm kind of happy that on the Warp website. BOC are listed in "Current Artists." Which means, they're active on the Warp label. Perhaps the sheer lack of product this year from Warp may possibly lead to something big from BOC. I still think pushing Squid back to May signifies something.

It's a waiting game now. BOC, Warp and the fans. And must say, I enjoy this more, than any possible announcement.

Eagle Minded
Currrent means they're still signed to WARP and their music is licensed by them. The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster (for represses, merch and the like for instance).

Eagle Minded
Moloch wrote:The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster

That's the case with LFO. (RIP Mark Bell)
yes, i would love to be free!

Dayvan Cowboy
Moloch wrote:Currrent means they're still signed to WARP and their music is licensed by them. The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster (for represses, merch and the like for instance).

With LFO though, they still released an archival release; The WXAXRXP sessions. So I guess Warp can still release things despite being him being dead, by whoever is the beneficiary.

I really don't think BOC is dead though. I mean, if they were dead, I'm sure their social media would have folded a long time ago and not string people along.

But recently, Warp seems to be the one who's dying haha. Last night I had a dream that it was September/October of this year and they still hadn't released much of anything.

Dayvan Cowboy
NorthSaturnian wrote:
Moloch wrote:The band could be dead and still be labeled as "current" in their roaster

That's the case with LFO. (RIP Mark Bell)

I don't believe, that BOC would agree to or want that. Keep their name just for merch.

LFO (Mark Bell) are literally dead.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:With LFO though, they still released an archival release; The WXAXRXP sessions. So I guess Warp can still release things despite being him being dead, by whoever is the beneficiary.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding that release. Gez (the surviving member of LFO) claimed Warp released that WXAXRXP session without his permission, but that's just the tip of the iceberg... he'd planned/is planning to sue Warp for unpaid royalties over the LFO release from 1990. He currently has a crowdfunding campaign to raise missing royalty money from the general public, so perhaps the legal battle ended in Warp's favour and he's resorting to this? Who knows? Very messy situation regardless.

Dayvan Cowboy
Sherbet Head wrote:
Echelon wrote:With LFO though, they still released an archival release; The WXAXRXP sessions. So I guess Warp can still release things despite being him being dead, by whoever is the beneficiary.

There was a lot of controversy surrounding that release. Gez (the surviving member of LFO) claimed Warp released that WXAXRXP session without his permission, but that's just the tip of the iceberg... he'd planned/is planning to sue Warp for unpaid royalties over the LFO release from 1990. He currently has a crowdfunding campaign to raise missing royalty money from the general public, so perhaps the legal battle ended in Warp's favour and he's resorting to this? Who knows? Very messy situation regardless.

I heard about the royalties battle from a friend, but i had no idea that the LFO session was released without permission.

I get the feeling, two years on, that the WXAXRXP sessions were probably the only way Warp could tide over Aphex and BOC fans while attempting to wrangle material from these notoriously difficult artists. Would be funny if they casually said "Hey we'll throw in LFO too" without realizing they'd piss off this Gez fellow in the process.

Eagle Minded
Echelon wrote:Would be funny if they casually said "Hey we'll throw in LFO too" without realizing they'd piss off this Gez fellow in the process.

Probably, I'm not sure if they noticed that Gez released LFO's full Peel Session on his youtube channel a month before the WXAXRXP Sessions did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxKh6Rr2h-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5F3_VuhFI
yes, i would love to be free!

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada