Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

New Seed
Hi Peeps. I'm the Dan who reposted the video. I've been working on dissecting the ARG I found in the comment section as well.
Something of note that you haven't found yet. There is metadata related to the first video.

The title in the metadata of the first video is: 23 5 14 5 5 4 13 21 19 9 11 (weneedmusik)
The artist in the metadata of the first video is: iamamiwhoami

I dismissed iamamiwhoami as cringe at first, but it seems to refer to the following artist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_1oLG ... f4ye34lh-w

If for some ungodly reason this is actually related to a release from BoC, that could imply that they are maybe doing a collab.

Eagle Minded
Hey Dan. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's kinda curious.What prompt you to register here on march 13th? The video was upload on the 22nd, deleted and reuploaded on the 24th on one account with electronic music, then immediately after on yours (with electronic music as well), but you didn't post here until today, the 30th. Did you find the forum and made the album to fuck with us? It kinda worked, 8 pages!
Last edited by Kinski on Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eagle Minded
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I can't go to the U.S of A anytime soon, my little Yorkshire mind wouldn't take it! :lol:

If I'm correct in my thinking, a good chunk of you twoismers on this topic are across the pond and stateside, no?

I think so, I am right out side of DC, you aint missing much here I accidently traded my quiet cottage in the mountians for an apartment in the city. worst idea ever.
Need to see how you all are living in the UK sometime

Dayvan Cowboy
Oh hey iamamiwhoami did a brilliant album the other year. Ionnalee has been doing her own thing for a bit afterwards but if there's new music coming from them with this kind of production I'm all ears.

All this breadcrumb trail would come out just as I'm away from my computer for a week! Watching to see what you clever people turn up

Dan Fingerman wrote:Hi Peeps. I'm the Dan who reposted the video. I've been working on dissecting the ARG I found in the comment section as well.
Something of note that you haven't found yet. There is metadata related to the first video.

The title in the metadata of the first video is: 23 5 14 5 5 4 13 21 19 9 11 (weneedmusik)

I dismissed iamamiwhoami as cringe at first, but it seems to refer to the following artist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_1oLG ... f4ye34lh-w

If for some ungodly reason this is actually related to a release from BoC, that could imply that they are maybe doing a collab.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami

Jonna Lee stated that she is influenced by Kraftwerk, Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode, Christopher Nolan, Air and Vangelis. She also added that she enjoys listening to Blood Orange, Arca, Denis Villeneuve, Chromatics, Four Tet, Björk, Todd Terje, Disasterpeace and Mozart.[58]
She forgot one! :D

Some interesting thoughts in this interview. https://www.wonderlandmagazine.com/2014 ... amiwhoami/

Dayvan Cowboy
hexagonFox wrote:
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I can't go to the U.S of A anytime soon, my little Yorkshire mind wouldn't take it! :lol:

If I'm correct in my thinking, a good chunk of you twoismers on this topic are across the pond and stateside, no?

I think so, I am right out side of DC, you aint missing much here I accidently traded my quiet cottage in the mountians for an apartment in the city. worst idea ever.
Need to see how you all are living in the UK sometime

I certainly wouldn't want to live in the big congested city. I used to live in town a few miles outside of one, there was so much pollution from the surrounding ring road, constant smell of gas.
I now live by the coast. Less fumes, better air.

(If you like drizzle and constant rain, come to the UK you'll be in for a real treat. :wink: )

New Seed
Hi Kinski! I think that's a very valid question, since I would've asked the same thing in the context of the whole ARG. I joined the Discord first and saw that a profile on the forums was required and that you would get kicked otherwise. I made the account here because of that. If you suspect that I'm the person behind all this, I'm Dutch and live in the Netherlands. So, there is no way that I could've taken the video at the thrift store in the USA. I can't really offer more proof other than that. I'm just someone who for some reason decided to download the original video. I wish I was the person behind the VHS tape, since people really like the music. But I unfortunately can't claim that the video is mine.

Kinski wrote:Hey Dan. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's kinda curious.What prompt you to register here on march 13th? The video was upload on the 22nd, deleted and reuploaded on the 24th on one account with electronic music, then immediately after on yours (with electronic music as well), but you didn't post here until today, the 30th. Did you find the forum and made the album to fuck with us? It kinda worked, 8 pages!

Dayvan Cowboy
Dan Fingerman wrote:Hi Peeps. I'm the Dan who reposted the video. I've been working on dissecting the ARG I found in the comment section as well.

Thank you for reuploading this tape, also cheers for shouting out this thread in the comment section.
It feels like the community's beady eyes are following along with this mystery and madness. :lol:

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami

Jonna Lee stated that she is influenced by Kraftwerk, Cocteau Twins, Depeche Mode, Christopher Nolan, Air and Vangelis. She also added that she enjoys listening to Blood Orange, Arca, Denis Villeneuve, Chromatics, Four Tet, Björk, Todd Terje, Disasterpeace and Mozart.[58]

The videography section suggests something on a penchant for long strings of random numbers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami#Videography

Eagle Minded
hexagonFox wrote:Well, my job involves getting people to talk on the phone to me all day. So ill call the store tomorrow and kindly grill them for any Information. I bet you a young man works there with too much time on his hands.

edit : I wonder if they've gotten any calls about it lol

Alternate outcome: You call. Management calmly thanks you for bringing this to their attention and hangs up. An hour later on WATMM, some little fucker starts complaining about being fired for "no real reason" from his job today. :lol:

But seriously, I'm interested in finding out what you get.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
irv wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami

The videography section suggests something on a penchant for long strings of random numbers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iamamiwhoami#Videography

Wow! You're not kidding.

Maybe this is all simple a loose affiliation of artists honing their skills with a dedicated and intelligent fanbase?

I hate to finally admit it, but maybe the upcoming zine article really will have something of substance in it. I've been assuming it will be a simple puff piece, brief mention, or an opinion piece by a staff writer. Here's hoping it's something even stranger!
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Dan Fingerman wrote:

source: https://www.last.fm/music/iamamiwhoami/_/23.5.14.5.5.4.13.21.19.9.11

To me this is yet another proof of sloppy work on behalf of the ones trying to lead us on. iamamiwhoami is known to have used, especially in the early days of their career, cryptic messaging on YouTube and other social media. They love interacting that way with the community (read the interview I posted earlier). This 23.5.14.5.5.4.13.21.19.9.11 song is, imho, just something iamamiwhoami used in one of her campaigns and I think that leaving the mp4 tag in the recent uploaded ARG clip was an unforeseen mistake by whoever uploaded this.

Posts Quantity
The more I listen to the 'Seeya Later' bit in the video, the more I'm convinced it's not someone taking the original and messing with it to fit the vibe of the rest of the audio – it's been remade (pretty well). A few things:

• The first drum loop. The last snare hit before it loops is more 'swingy'/syncopated in the original than on the vid, which is more straight/metrical.
  • The strings pads that come in at 24:44: the notes on the VHS hit the beat every time, whereas in the original the fourth one is delayed.
  • Main synth line starting at 25:25: there's an extra note just around 25:31 that isn't in the original.
  • Low bass notes: these notes that run through the whole thing don't match the original.

I could go on, but I'm already disappointed in myself enough for devoting the time to it...

Eagle Minded
So I just got off the phone with a couple people who work at that store (Ohio River Blvd location), no record label reps have been by or anything like that.
And nobody knew what I was talking about. butttttttt
I did manage to get some one on the phone who runs the books and inventory.
And he did confirm that two weeks ago he put a copy of The shining on the shelves.
I asked him if he was into music and he said "not a whole lot but that's cool if a band did that"

so there is that

Posts Quantity
hexagonFox wrote:he did confirm that two weeks ago he put a copy of The shining on the shelves.

Nice one. The original video was posted in January of this year, so that of course wouldn't be the same tape. I remember the guy "saying" he grabbed 4 of them. What are the odds someone is trying to lead us to this location? I understand the tape was already found out (sorta) but if that is where it leads, why all of the extra ARG mischief?

Eagle Minded
We’re gonna get got by Geo. There’a a sample at 28:45 or so that really sounds like a sample from the Catherine Fell hoax he put together and the whole tape is pretty above average for a BoC copy. he’s a solid producer with big brain fun, but this is just my speculation.

Posts Quantity
Navaru wrote:We’re gonna get got by Geo. There’a a sample at 28:45 or so that really sounds like a sample from the Catherine Fell hoax he put together and the whole tape is pretty above average for a BoC copy. he’s a solid producer with big brain fun, but this is just my speculation.

Might just be my own wild opinion but I'm fine being rickrolled as long as the build up is fun lol. i like solving puzzles and arg related things interest me so even if it leads to a meme, ill be fine

Eagle Minded
Oh hell ya that string of hoaxes to the roll was a great time.

Dayvan Cowboy
It's not Geogandhi. I have no official confirmation of this from him, it's just a feeling.

He made the Catherine Fell arg for the fun of it, he has mentioned that many times, he also mentioned he has no intention of creating anything to mislead twoism, let alone this madcap mystery of VHS and Thrift Shop coordinates.

Although I can't speak for the fella, it's not him folks!

Last edited by Orbited insanitarium on Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Eagle Minded
Sampling a BoC hoax to create a BoC hoax, that’s meta boys.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound